best place to buy cables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• best place to buy cables?

I need a bunch of new guitar cables....where is the best place to get 'em off the net?

And what are your preferred brands?
    thereveling.com

Re: best place to buy cables?

I use George L's, some DiMarzio, and I have a bunch custom made by Synergistic Research (which are heinously expensive) ... don't know where you can get 'em online, tho. GC is 2 blocks from my office!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

with some luck: ebay... I've got a Monster Studio Pro Speaker Cable for 3,50 € for a while
      RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
      TS 7 (modded)
      Hot Rod 50+ XL
      Framus Dragon 4x12
      V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Buy Mogami 20GA instrument cable and Neutrik plugs at PerformanceAudio.com, and make them yourself! It's not hard, and the quality of the cables I make is way beyond anything I've ever bought. For example: two 1/4" phone plugs and 20' of cable costs $11.38. Mogami is first-rate cable. If you go into a big professional studio, you will most likely find all of their equipment wired with Mogami cables. It's as good as the high-end esoteric stuff. Just learn to solder the Neutrik plugs correctly and you're all set!

Comment

anyone else use Mogami cable? I'm thinking about ordering a bunch today...

I just soldered for the first time yesterday...I think I actually did a pretty decent job. Will my "average" soldering skills make a difference in the sound of the cables if I make them myself?
          thereveling.com

Comment

crazytooguy: is this the cable you were referring to: http://www.performanceaudio.com/cgi/...oductID=005598 ?
            thereveling.com

Comment

Mr Breaker,

Mogami cables are fine, but CANARE stuff is way better. Mogami are great, Canare even better, and sometimes, for less.

Personaly, I'm using Planet Waves. I really like those 3-conductor, I mean, 1 Hot, 1 Ground and 1 shield, which is connected only to one end. That's the right way a cable should be made. To avoid ground loops..
              Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

Thanks...I will check out CANARE...

What is the difference between 2-pole and 3-pole phone plugs?
                thereveling.com

Comment

I use Monster, they're made spectacularly and are incredibly quiet. Now, I don't know if they're the BEST for the buck, but they suit me well and now I know that if I'm noisy it's not because of my connections.

Comment

You want 2 pole phone plugs for mono guitar cables. I personally use Neutriks for my cables - they look VERY sturdy to me.

Although I've never tried Mogami or Monsters, I can say that DAMN those Canare GS-6s sound good . Redoing my rig in Canare's really did make a significant tonal improvement over the mixture of el stocko Fender cables and some cheaper AV-oriented shielded cable that to put it simply, didn't work well.
                    Ibanez RG 470 Hotrodded w/ OFR, SD FS/JB Jr(b)/DD, 90% of original hardware replaced
                    Jim Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Hotrodded w/ TB, LED indicator, BC109s, will have sweep range selector and booster circuit
                    Carl Martin Rock Drive
                    ISP Decimator
                    BOSS DD-3
                    Laney LC-15R

My Rig

Comment

I use Monster cables. Havenīt bought a new cable in almost 10 years
                      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

i've got a pile of monster cables as well... works for me
                        boreddddddddddd

Comment

I use cheap ish Venom cables. Cheapest cables ive seen with a lifetime warrantee.

Comment

Yep, that's the cable. I've messed with highend audio cables (Kimber, Cardas, Van der Hull, etc.) and the Mogami sounds just as good. Quality of a cable depends on three things - conductor geometry, conductor quality (i.e., copper type) and type of insulation. The only way to improve on the Mogami, in my experience, is to go with a coaxial cable with teflon insulation. Very pricey. And with low-level signals like guitar, the insulator makes less of a difference than in higher level signals. I think Mogami does as well as they do because of the quality of the copper they use. I've never seen better copper in a cable before. It's noticably higher quality than most other cables.

Comment

Working...
                            X