What value do you bias your amp at?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What value do you bias your amp at?

I was just curious about the average bias settings for each respective power tube "species". Anyone here plays 6l6's, KT66's, EL34's, and bias their own amps? If so at what values.
    2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Re: What value do you bias your amp at?

I let my tech do all that stuff!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

It Depends On Plate Voltage!!!! There Is Not A "magic Value"!!!!

Comment

hmmm....plate voltage, don't know?
        2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

how do i check the ...plate voltage

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092
            how do i check the ...plate voltage
            Very carefully! You're dealing with several hundred volts of DC. With a multimeter, you probe pin 3 of a power tube socket.
            Last edited by mrid; 08-10-2004, 11:55 AM.

Comment

so what's your bias/plate voltage

Comment

Originally posted by Quencho092
                so what's your bias/plate voltage
                In my Bogner it's ~460VDC and in my friends JCM 800 it's ~480VDC. When you plug that info into this form (http://www.ionpool.net/arcade/tech/W...alculator.html), you'll get the correct bias.

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
                  Very carefully! You're dealing with several hundred volts of DC. With a multimeter, you probe pin 8 of a power tube socket.
                  Pin 8 is the cathode....You want pin 3...Be very careful or you will never forget the shocking experience!

The safeset way to bias your amp is to put a 1% 2 watt or better resistor across pin 8(The cathode to ground)...The resistor is placed in series between pin 8 and ground..You then measure your current in millivolts...The resistor converts milliamps to millivolts...That's how I bias all of my amps..

Plate voltage is found at pin 3
                  Pin 5..Gives you your - bias voltage
                  Pin 8 is your cathode...This is for the EL34,6L6,6550,5881 tubes...

John
                  Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 08-10-2004, 12:00 PM.
                  Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
                    Pin 8 is the cathode....You want pin 3...Be very careful or you will never forget the shocking experience!
                    My bad...I forget these things.

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
                      My bad...I forget these things.
                      I got your back buddy....
                      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

70% of max plate dissipation unless Lord Valve (my tube pusher) suggests something different.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                        My Music

Comment

Thanks for that bias calculator link MRID. I use a mA bias tool I got off Ebay for $15.
                          I strum the guitar while turning the minipot, also watching the number on my amp meter. That way, I know when my amp sounds the best, and I also see that the mA value is close to what it usually is....36-38mA for EL-34's and 31-34mA for 6L6's, depending on the amp and tubes.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

what about the groove tubes bias thing, looks cool...does it work. I think you just probe the pins, plug in the tube and watch the meters, but yet again, theres gotta be a catch

Comment

I use the Weber Bias Rite. Plug it into the tube socket(s) and check current. Mine has the V/I option so I can also check the plate voltage. The hardest part of biasing my amps is pulling the chassis to get access to the trimmer pots.
                              Originally posted by LesStrat
                              make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
                              My Music

Comment

Working...
                              X