Stew-Mac String Ferrules don't measure up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stew-Mac String Ferrules don't measure up

I got a set of 5/16" thru body ferrules from Stew-Mac. The holes are drilled to 5/16" (as per spec) but they don't press in - even on a unfinished body. It seems I'd really have to pound them in. So I'm concerned that with a few layers of finish, no way they will fit.

I'm thinking I need to get a 11/32" or 21/64" bit and widen the holes a bit

Has anyone had the same issue?

Re: Stew-Mac String Ferrules don't measure up

There is a kind that slips right in, and I used to glue them in place with fingernail polish. What I'd always done with the Stewmac ones is tap them in with a fret hammer. One time I missed, and put a dent in the back of the guitar. It's the body that I eventually made an Esquire with.

Safer bet would be to look up how to do it with heat. I forget how that's done, but other people have said that that works great.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete Galati View Post
      There is a kind that slips right in, and I used to glue them in place with fingernail polish. What I'd always done with the Stewmac ones is tap them in with a fret hammer. One time I missed, and put a dent in the back of the guitar. It's the body that I eventually made an Esquire with.

Safer bet would be to look up how to do it with heat. I forget how that's done, but other people have said that that works great.
      Heat: Someone suggested pressing them in with a soldering irn. I've also been suggested to put them in the freezer to get the mto contract a bit from the cold

Comment

i think i saw Dan from Stewmac install them with a soldering iron in a stewmac video... i hear that method also helps melt some of the finnish in the hole...

i installed them in the past with a little wood glue and a small rubber hammer myself... i don't want them falling out everytime i change strings

Comment

You can pound them in with a dead blow hammer (the rubber or rubber faced kind that are filled with BB's -- they make a "swish, swish" when you use it). Get all of them started in their holes then grab a block of soft pine, lay it on top of the ferrules and tap them in. At first, use a couple of gentle to taps to start seating them, then, give them a couple of quick sharp raps. After every couple strokes with the dead blow hammer, check that the ferrules are going in straight -- the holes will help keep them aligned and the pine board will distribute the force from the hammer without dinging up your guitar. To make it a little easier, pop them in the freezer for about a half hour before starting -- they'll contract enough from the cold to make the process more or less foolproof.
          I started out with nothing...and I still have most of it left.

Comment

Personally, I would buy the proper size drill...and use a piece of scrap wood to verify the size before touching the guitar.

Comment

Ditto on sludgenutz comment.

Comment

I just did this install last night. After reaming out the paint to where the ferrule just felt snug, I then used my drill press to press the ferrules in.
                -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Drill press is a great method.. I've also used the rubber mallot and pine block method..

If you resize/ream the holes, and they are too loose afterward (this happened to me, and I thought I was being careful), use just a dab of plastic wood around the ferrule before installation

Comment

Working...
                  X