Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Line 6 Or Fender

Hi all,

Since replacing a microphonic tube this past week, I have realized that I need another amplifier to share duties with my Peavey Classic 50/212. I am looking at either a Line 6 Flextone III Plus or a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. Which one and why?
    Line 6 Flextone III Plus
    42.31%
    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
    57.69%

The poll is expired.

-Butch Snyder
    butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Re: Line 6 Or Fender

It would depend on how many sounds you want.

I have a flex 2 and despite all the models it has, i only use about 6 of them.

The flex 3 sounds a ot better than the 2, but i havent played it loud (my 2 has a problem on high gain and loud volume, it loses definition)

I havent played a hot rod so i duno bout that
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

IMO, the question comes down to whether you want an amp that is a true backup or more of a compliment to the C50. The L6 will definitely expand your sonic territory more than the HRD.

Personally, I'm now a tube bigot who got tired of chasing gremlins in my L6 AX2. My Rivera and Soldano might not be as versatile but they're versatile enough for me. Like nuntius points out, even with scads of tones available, the typical person will only use a very small subset of 'em.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
      My Music

Comment

I guess I would ask what you're planning on using it for, Butch. Those Line6s are nice, but unless you are really looking to explore the tone horizons, I might stick with the Fender.

FWIW, my fellow guitarist/friend/bandmate has a Line6 that sounds great on its own, but pales in comparison to the other amps we've got in his mini-studio. Sounded thin and out of place in the mix with the other guitar (recorded from my Marshall). Apples to oranges, I know, but just a thought.
        Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

I'd go with the Fender HRD. After chaning out the speaker and getting some better tubes, it's a killer amp.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Good thoughts so far. I basically like 3 tones; clean, a little dirty and edgy, and warmly distorted. I can color those tones up with all the delay, reverb, chorus, and whatever. I sat down with a Flextone III Pus the other day and with the FBV Shortboard, I was able to generate sounds that were really very nice. I tried a Vox AC 30 TB with a Marshall 4x12 cabinet and it sounded very cool. Also, I found that I can go straight from the amp to the PA because of the XLR outputs on the back. Miking the spaeker is a nonissue.
            -Butch Snyder
            butchsnyder.com

Comment

Butch, quit screwing around and get a nice used tweed bassman 4x10. With that tele of yours, you'll lose the peavey PDQ.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
                Butch, quit screwing around and get a nice used tweed bassman 4x10. With that tele of yours, you'll lose the peavey PDQ.
                That's a thought Scott, but believe it or not, the Variax is still the best sounding guitar I own...
                -Butch Snyder
                butchsnyder.com

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
                  I'd go with the Fender HRD. After changing out the speaker and getting some better tubes, it's a killer amp.
                  +1
                  ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

If you already have a "vintage-style" tube amp (not high-gain), it might be nice to have the variety of the Line 6. When I had one (an AX2), I only used a few settings on it, but those settings sure did sound good. The new Line 6's blow my original AX2 away. A friend of mine sold all of his amps (Fenders, Buddas, Randalls) and now only plays Line 6 amps. That Vox setting does sound nice.

Also, I'm just not a big Hot Rod fan...
                    Carvin SC90 (Jazz neck, CC bridge)
                    Fender Aerodyne Telecaster (stock pups: tele bridge and p-90 neck)
                    Ampeg Reverberocket combo

http://emayhem.com/toptenidols
                    http://emayhem.com/the_fords
                    (note: these songs were not recorded using the gear mentioned above...)

Comment

Originally posted by mjsever
                      That Vox setting does sound nice.
                      You got that right...
                      -Butch Snyder
                      butchsnyder.com

Comment

Just noticed you're looking at the plus.

well imo, you should shell out the extra for the XL.

i tried a tele through the plus the other day and it sounded thin..

a 1x12 open backed digital amp isnt the beefiest of things but the 2x12 version makes up for it
                        My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                        How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius
                          a 1x12 open backed digital amp isnt the beefiest of things but the 2x12 version makes up for it
                          Interesting...
                          -Butch Snyder
                          butchsnyder.com

Comment

The 112 models of Line 6 are a bit thin sounding and require a lot of bass, but they are a very versatile unit.
                            www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

My opinion is that single coil pickups sound sound sterile through modeling amps. You've already got the Variax, so I'd stick with tube amps, and move upward.
                              Not to knock Line 6 stuff, because they do serve a good purpose, but Brad Paisley struts out onstage in front of stereo Dr. Z's, not Flextones. Sell off some dead stuff and splurge on a nice Dr. Z, Blues Pearl, Victoria, or Fender. I've A/B'd those type of amps next to modeling amps, and the outcome would make you laugh. It's like a Mercedes next to a Hyundai.
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                              X