Tuning Machines...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning Machines...

Weeell I was puttin the tuners (Gotohs) on my new Warmoth neck the other day and the strangest thing happened...when I screwed in the tiny little screw on one of 'em, half of it stuck to the screwdriver and the other half stayed embedded in the headstock

Is there anything I can do about this? I've removed screws before but never a screw THIS small from a piece of wood I care THIS much about, hahaha...

Will any harm come from just leaving it and acting like the machine is completely installed?
    green globe burned black by sunn

Re: Tuning Machines...

Short of drilling it out I don't know. I always use soap on wood screws and tighten very carefully to avoid that.

Comment

Drill it out. Soap the replacement. Sometimes they break.
      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

The only thing about drilling it out is , you'll almost always end up with a larger hole than when you started. But it seems like the only way out for you. That sucks man, sorry about your luck.

Comment

Try a screw extractor. It might take a while to get it out, but if you're leary of drilling, it might be worht a try.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Yeah, they go down to 5/64ths if that's not too big.

Comment

Xander...You may have to actually drill around or aside of the broken screw,remove it,once the screw is removed from the maple neck...You may have to drill the hole just big enough to glue a peice of hardwood dowel back into the headstock...Sand the dowel flush after it's good and dry and then rescrew your tuner screws "carefully" back into the hard maple..Use either wax or soap..Also be sure to drill the hole before you try screwing into the maple..Use a bit 1 size smaller in diameter than the tuner screw and don't drill the full length of the screw so that the screw gets a nice bite right at the end of it's travel...Do whatever you can to hide the new dowel rod area or don't worry about it(It's on the back of the neck)...

John
              Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Err that sounds like so much work, good thing I'm in shop class now...i'll probably try drilling it out before I do the dowel thing, hahahaha...

-X

Comment

Use a drill press if you have access to one.

Comment

Hey Empty pockets, I was just browsing over at Stew-Mac and they have screw extractors for small guitar screws, $18.53 for a set of 3. Good luck.

Comment

!!! You might've saved my neck, or at least my headstock...

Thanks for all the advice and stuff fellas...

-X

Comment

Working...
                      X