Guitar synths?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar synths?

Does anyone have any experience with gutar synths like the roland gr-20 or gr-33? I know that no synth will ever sound like a real piano or violin, but it would be cool to sound kind of like other instruments.
    Also, how does the pickup it comes with compare to a godin sa or another synth ready guitar? And while I'm on that subject does anyone have a multiac? I've been interested in one of their nylon strings for a long time.
    Current Gear: USA Custom Dinky S: Mahogany Body, Pau Ferro Neck & board, DD, Jazz. Schecter C1 E/A: C5, Jazz. Wolfgang Special USA: Air Zone, Air Norton. Ibanez RG7621 7 string. Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 string Bass. Line 6 Vetta 2 with Mesa Recto Cab
    Past Gear : Schecter C1 Blackjack. ESP LTD KH602. Ibanez S 7 string. Ibanez RG7420 7 string. Mesa Rect-o-verb Head. Peavey Classic 50 4x10. Line 6 POD 2.0

Re: Guitar synths?

i have a gr-33 that i drive with my brian moore i88.13 ... i love it .. tracks flawlessly from the RMC bridge (i've never used the GK2 hex pickup, so i cant comment) .. i have had people (not musicians) come up to me slack jawed after they heard me take a "B-3" solo on an allman bros tune .. i played a piano ballad solo with a singer once too ("i cant make you love me" by bonnie raitt) that went over real well .. even musicians i play with seem to like some of the little fills and things that i can throw in to make a cover tune sound a little more authentic .. it's expensive, and needs its own amplification (full range) to sound best, but man is it fun

hope this helps
    t4d

ps - mincer is the SD board's resident expert / practitioner of guitar synth music .. i think he even has sound clips on his page
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Hey there...I use a Roland GI-10 midi interface and a Roland XV5050 synth. The problem with synth guitar is that it is expensive to get into, but after that initial investment, you have a whole sonic world to discover. Violins and pianos are just the beginning- you got soft synths too. The main thing, when emulating traditional instruments is hear how they phrase, learn their range, etc..it really is like learning a new instrument.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks a lot tone and mincer. It sounds like a lot of fun. Godin multiac anyone?
        Last edited by El Dorado; 08-14-2004, 07:13 PM.
        Current Gear: USA Custom Dinky S: Mahogany Body, Pau Ferro Neck & board, DD, Jazz. Schecter C1 E/A: C5, Jazz. Wolfgang Special USA: Air Zone, Air Norton. Ibanez RG7621 7 string. Schecter Stiletto Studio 5 string Bass. Line 6 Vetta 2 with Mesa Recto Cab
        Past Gear : Schecter C1 Blackjack. ESP LTD KH602. Ibanez S 7 string. Ibanez RG7420 7 string. Mesa Rect-o-verb Head. Peavey Classic 50 4x10. Line 6 POD 2.0

Comment

Working...
        X