Custom Guitar Wood Opinions Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom Guitar Wood Opinions Please

Some of you may know that I'm going to have Jay at Wolfe Guitars order a Heritage 150CM custom guitar with 1959 LP specs for me. I was poking around on the internet yesterday, and came upon a site for "Timeless Timber". This is true old growth wood that in some cases was cut down over 200 years ago, and has been in "cold storage" at the bottom of the Great Lakes. The density and quality of this wood is supposed to be unlike anything that can be found today.

I was considering the option of using this wood for the eastern hard maple flamed top over the Honduran Mahogany body. Much of this wood is supposed to have amazing tonal qualities. Anyone know anything about this wood, or have an opinion on using it?
    My Sound Clips

Re: Custom Guitar Wood Opinions Please

haha ... I remember reading about that wood ...

did you ask Jay Wolfe?

I'm a little skeptical myself.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Comment

Washburn put out some guitars made from this wood a couple of years ago. You might want to hunt one down to try. That way you'll know for sure.

I beleive it was the Nuno Bettancourt model, though I may be mistaken.
      Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
        haha ... I remember reading about that wood ...

did you ask Jay Wolfe?

I'm a little skeptical myself.
        I've just e-mailed him and I'm sure he'll let me know. I'm just curious to know if the wood is really that high quality, and if it's better than wood available now.
        My Sound Clips

Comment

Well, I've talked to Jay at Wolfe Guitars, and he says there is no advantage at all in using this type of wood, except for bragging rights. I'm not interested in that, just in having the best I can for my custom order.
          My Sound Clips

Comment

From what I heard, wasn't it 200 yr old maple that they dregded up? I remember seeing pics and thinking it was very pretty, but was wondering how it would enhance the tone. Maybe if it was a 200 year old guitar it would have a killer tone...
            'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

Working...
            X