X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Intonation issues

Originally posted by Nightburst
    Would a Boss TU-2 be accurate enough?
    Is it really nessicary to put the finetuners on? I don't ever use them and prefer to leave them off.
    IMHO, a TU-2 is not accurate enough. It's accurate to +-3 cents. If you're 3 cents off on the high E string, that would give you one beat every two seconds compared to a "true" E--one beat/second at the octave. You can get good results with a TU-2 but there are going to be times where things aren't gonna be quite right.

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
    My Music

Comment

Originally posted by aleclee
      IMHO, a TU-2 is not accurate enough. It's accurate to +-3 cents. If you're 3 cents off on the high E string, that would give you one beat every two seconds compared to a "true" E--one beat/second at the octave. You can get good results with a TU-2 but there are going to be times where things aren't gonna be quite right.

IMHO, FWIW, YMMV, etc.
      Thanks,
      Yeah I've heard the 3 cents off comment before. I'm taking my guitar to a tech after all to have it set up with a new nut.

Comment

It's not a bad idea to have a tech set it up, but keep the fine tuners on it, or else you won't be able to lock down the nut and still adjust your tuning. If you don't lock down the nut, keeping your guitar in tune will be very difficult.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
          It's not a bad idea to have a tech set it up, but keep the fine tuners on it, or else you won't be able to lock down the nut and still adjust your tuning. If you don't lock down the nut, keeping your guitar in tune will be very difficult.
          Thanks GJ, but I've blocked the floyd so I don't really need the finetuners.
          I'll have the tech cut a non-locking nut and give the guitar a full setup. It should play like butter then.

Btw. did you receive my pm with the picture yet?

Comment

Okay so, just so I get this strait since I'm still an intonation newbie and I've had the same problem. (open and 12th harmonic read same but still sounded off)

You guys are saying play the open then the 12th harmonic and make sure they match. Got this, I do it today.

Then play all notes from 10th on to the 20th, and for whatever note you're playing it should read dead center on the tuner. If not adjust the saddle. The only concern I have is I think when i tried this once, it made the open/12th harmonic read off again. Will this happen? I was going nuts!

Also can string height affect intonation? Or like GJ said cause the notes to bend out of tune on open chords? I have my set up fairly high, although not insanely high.
            Last edited by Jeff5; 08-16-2004, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X