banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What volume/tone pots are used on H-S-S styled guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What volume/tone pots are used on H-S-S styled guitars?

Someone online asked me what pots I have in my Grosh, and truthfully, I didn't know

What pot values do you guys think work the best for single coil and humbuckers? Normally 250 would be for single and 500 for humbuckers, but this has me puzzled.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: What volume/tone pots are used on H-S-S styled guitars?

I run 250k in Strats.

Those are the only HSS guitars I've owned, so....
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Thanks.
      I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.

Comment

Each of the strats that I Own that are H/S/S have all 250k pots and I have no problems retaining highend..Single coils sound harsh and shrill with 500k and I base my tone around the 250k values...

In my Gibson guitars with humbuckers,I'll only use 500k values..

John
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Perfect... thanks a lot John

I'll definitely stick with 250s now. Wasn't originally sure if I need 300 or something strange like that, but whatever I have in the Grosh sounds great with the humbucker... so 250 must work fine.

Comment

People will debate that you shouldn't use 250k pots with humbuckers,but that's hokey,in fact the JB was designed around the 250k value...Strats are bright and Fender used 250k values to tame some of the "presence" away from his single coils...The 250k helps retain some fatness of tone,has a quicker taper,and tames the highs...While I'll agree that humbuckers are a bit more open and breathe better with the 500k values,the 250k to 300k values work fine for me..It's really a matter of what sounds good in your case and not what other people tell you is right or wrong..

John
            Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

my H-S-S guitar has 500's. But then again, it has a humbucker and two single-coil size humbuckers -C5, JB Jr, Lil '59.

Comment

I use 500k pots for volume, tone a matter of choice more so, but then I use darker sounding humcancelling singles so go figure.
                I still like the idea of a 500k with a humbucker, as I can roll a bit of high end off of true singles with the tone control. It does depend on the pups and the guitar though. I most certainly do like a 500k on a H/S/H guitar, but then again most of those are really geared around the humbucker sound anyway, and have a middle single that kinda matches that sound. Still personal taste, but well worth thinking about.
                Last edited by Kent S.; 08-14-2004, 10:54 PM.
                ::::To sound reinforcement engineer::::
                ... What? ... ::::snicker:::: ...Yes, ... Right, ...
                Could we please have everything louder than everything else ? ...

Comment

Thanks for the responses, I definitely see the advantages to both.

Comment

Working...
                  X