Took My Hamer Apart Today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Took My Hamer Apart Today

Just to get an idea of the quality of construction. Can't tell a damn thing about the wood. The pickup cavities are sprayed with the blue paint and the poly coat....can't even get an idea of how thick (or not) the maple cap is. I tried from the control cavity also, but they have a slip in plastic cavity lining painted in there. My guess is that the maple cap is pretty thin, but no way to verify that.

I had done some research on what type of Duncan Design pups came in these, and many said JB/59' version of the DD's, some said, no, it's the 59' set of the DD's. Wrong on both accounts, at least on my version. My guitar has the HB-103's, which are modeled after the Duncan Distortion set. I have the neck and bridge version respectivly. The main webpage says the Duncan Designed version of the Distortion is trem spaced for the bridge. Strange choice on a TOM guitar.

Anyhow, I'm conditioning the fretboard...it's very dry. I'm also going to replace the 3 way switch...the tip broke off during shipping...probably due to then monkeys in brown. Good thing it was in a hardshell case! I'll get an idea of how these pups sound later tonight or tomorrow. I'm curious to try the Distortions, even if they are just the Duncan Designed version. They should be fairly close.

Update at 11.
    Last edited by Jeff_H; 08-14-2004, 09:23 PM.
    My Sound Clips

Re: Took My Hamer Apart Today

Hey man, for $250.00 w/HSC.........I don't wanna hear any complaints out of you MISTER!!!

Seriously, that's a pretty nice looking guitar. Fill us in when you play the he!! out of it. I'm interested in hearing what it sounds like.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Set neck JohnJohn....I'm not THAT curious!

Got a chance to play this piece of wood. Changed the strings to 10's, oiled the fretboard, set the action and intonation. Initial thoughts.....this thing doesn't suck.

The neck feels pretty beefy. I've not spent a ton of time on LP's with the 59' neck profile, but this neck is closer to that than the 60's slim taper. Fretwork is suprisingly decent. There are a few rough edges that caught the polishing rag, but I can't feel those same edges with my fingers, so they must be pretty small. Nice access to the upper frets...even slightly better than my Hardtail in that respect (no one get crazy, it's not THAT good).

The "Duncan Designed" Distortion set is actually pretty damn decent as well. Compared to say the pups in the Epi LP I used to own they are a ton better. The bridge is nice and articulate, along with being super heavy and tight. Definately the tighest pup I own, as well as the highest output. I got some pretty meaty metal tones out of the bridge. The clean tone is ok, but if you turn the amp up any it starts to distort. The neck pup is a little to raspy for me. I have to roll the tone pot way down to smooth it out. I've moved it closer, farther away, nothing really solves the issue so far. I'll mess with it some tomorrow, but my initial thoughts are to leave the bridge believe it or not, and possibly just replace the neck with a 59' or something. I've got two 59' necks laying around, including one that's double blue! I think I like the look of the nickel covers actually though.

All in all a nice purchase for $250. I've wasted more than that on crappy weekend getaway's. This one gets a solid 7 out of 10 for playability and construction. I'm still trying to learn to like the headstock, but that doesn't effect the sound.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

The PM about gloss or satin on the neck, and about the drop shadow lettering? If that's the one, I thought I sent a reply. I think satin on the neck finish and definately yes on the drop shadow!
        My Sound Clips

Comment

pics pics pics I love Hamers.
          Heavy Metal is a 73 tonne Main Battle Tank :headbang:

B.C. Rich USA ST-III w/ Seymour Duncan Hot Rails Neck/Middle, Duncan Custom Bridge. :firedevil

Comment

Jeff,

Great to hear that you got your Hamer and that it is not as bad as you thought it would be. If I was going to suggest putting in any pups then put the '59n (neck) and see whether the bridge pup that is there will give you that balance. Personally I think if you put in a 59b in the bridge position then you will have that guitar really rocking and you'll get anything from country, blues to rcok with those pups.

Norman
            Normans Guitars

Comment

Working...
            X