Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best jazz guitar brand?

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
    Epi Joe Pass or the Ibanez George Benson models are very nice & they're affordable. Even the Epi Sheraton I used to have was a really nice jazzer.

If you can afford a Bendedetto or D'Angelico..........Can I borrow a few grand????!!!!

if you can afford one i just want to borrow it for a while.... yeah borrow.
    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Originally posted by mrfjones
      if you can afford one i just want to borrow it for a while.... yeah borrow.

AMEN to that! I saw one on some vintage site not long ago, I wanna say it was a 50's model Benedetto for like $23,000.00. I'm sorry, but that is just friggin' nuts! I'll stick with my Tele, which gets some pretty nice jazz tones in its' own right!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
      Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
      FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
      http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

those guitars are supposed to be amazing but 23,000? and that was probably used right? I think i will buy a car instead. But if i would ever have the money to burn on something like that i would get one (but i thinik i would go for a master built bennedetto line instead)
        Cleveland Guitars

Comment

Yeah, used.....it was a 1950s model; don't recall the year. Real beauty, but come on.......It might've been on elderly instruments site. I was searching/researching Gretsch's & stumbled upon it.

Comment

I have owned the Washburn HB-30 Hollow Body guitar for two years now. I have had many people tell me it is a sweet playing guitar.

My instructor, who owns a Gibson ESS-335, says it is as good as his high priced guitar. He even helped me pick it out.

Go to the Washburn website and check it out.

Not bad for under $500.00. Some website list it at below $300.00

Jazz on!

Comment

the old Epiphones were right up there with the Gibsons - if the Gibsons were Cadillacs, then the Epiphones were at least Buicks.

**here's some interesting D'Angelico pics:
              D'Angelicos**

I've always thought John Pizzarrelli was a great rhythm player, and had an interesting ax. Here's a shop tour of his maker's shop:
              Moll's shop tour

Sadowsky makes a nice Jim Hall model , too.

and, being partial to Hamers, I like the looks of the

Improv

Improv

as with a lot of gear nowadays, there are just more choices than ever

the Lloyd Loar L-5 may be the most highly prized jazz box ever; I'd still go with an ES-175, though - an everyday workhorse of a jazzbox.
              Last edited by Curly; 08-16-2004, 10:52 AM.
              "music heals"
              facebook

Comment

If you fancy a thinline guitar with real jazz box attributes, like a carved top and back, Hofner makes the Ver Thin Classic. It is thinner (by quite a bit) than a 335 but it still has a carved maple back and a carved spruce top. The price is competitive with production Gibby's too.
                Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26
                  If you fancy a thinline guitar with real jazz box attributes, like a carved top and back, Hofner makes the Ver Thin Classic. It is thinner (by quite a bit) than a 335 but it still has a carved maple back and a carved spruce top. The price is competitive with production Gibby's too.
                  OR THE HOFNER PRESIDENT:

OR THE JAZZICA:

Sorry, pics are huge!!!!
                  Last edited by PUCKBOY99; 08-16-2004, 01:24 PM.

Comment

D'Aquisto guitars...... They are the best made Jazz guitars EVER!!!!!! They are so much better than everything else it doesn't matter who is second. D'Angelicos are almost as good, but in a different way. D'Aquistos are more for a Jazz soloist, where the D'Angelico's are more for a Big Band situation. Gibson L5 and L7's are also real nice, but the DA and D'Aqistos are incredible guitars. A good friend of mine is a builder and specializes in repiaring these great guitars. I have had the oppurtunity to play all of these side by side. He also is now building Archtops as well as solid body electrics and Acoustic guitars, mandolins and Ukele's. He is a great Artist and Craftsmen. Check out some of his work here. www.mirabellaguitars.com
                    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

http://edromanguitars.com/guitar/home_eas.htm i believe eastman guitars for the looks (i say this because i've never played one)
                      Gear: Carvin CT6 flame top(alnico 2 pro,JB), Strat scappoled fretboard(59,CC), Morgan monroe ovation knock-off, yamaha nylon acoustic,Boss super overdrive with TS-808 "silver" analogman mod, Boss DS-1 with keeley mod, Vox wah with true bypass mod, Fender Super Reverb 65.

Originally Posted by Jeff_H
                      The APH is like slipping into a tub of warm honey spashed with the silky essence of virgins.

Comment

Working...
                      X