Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finish Dimples (Luthiers?)

Hey guys,

I was looking at the reflection of the light in my MIJ Dinky and I noticed that it looks like a bunch of little "dimples",for lack of a better word, in the finish. It doesn't "feel" dimply, but just looks that way in the light. I also noticed it vaguely in my LP and just very vaguely in my USA Jackson.

Anybody ever run into this? These guitars never leave the house, and the room is between 70 and 80 at all times, with no any extremes in humidity. The dimples are 1/32 to 1/16-inch in diamater, but don't seem to have any depth. The finish feels smooth, and I baby these things.

The Dinky's about 7 years old, the LP about 3 and the USA is 2.

-Matt
    Originally posted by Scott_F
    On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Re: Finish Dimples (Luthiers?)

?? I´m not quite sure what you mean, could you shoot a few poics?
    Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

When I had a LP Standard for awhile, I noticed that. I think it's just a product of a non-perfect finish. Maybe the clearcoat is smooth, but the paint underneath isn't. My Tele has 'grooves' down the back, but my Schecter is perfectly smooth.

Comment

Zerb,

It'll be tough to shoot a shot of it, but I'll try (need to borrow a camera).

I was looking around a little, and it sounds like a phenom called "orange peeling" and has to do with pores in the wood that start to absorb the paint over time. And, yeah Tom, it relates to wood prep prior to applying the finish. I sorta don't care so much with the MIJ Dinky since I know it was a lower quality than the USA. But, it would be good to know if there are any measures to take to either slow or stop the process for the LP and the USA.

To my knowledge, you do not need a humidifier for electrics as long as you live in a fairly temperate climate and don't expose instruments to extremes. Is that right?

Anyway, for now I put a deflector on the A/C vent in the ceiling to keep any air from blowing directly on the axes (They are wall mounted.)

-Matt
        Originally posted by Scott_F
        On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Working...
        X