Tell me about birdseye maple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about birdseye maple

How is it tone wise compared to reg. maple. I just got one from MightyMac. Birdseye with a Birdseye finger board very cool looking lots of grain. Anything I need to know about it. I will be putting it on the hardtail I just scored from Fatty.
    His Grace is Amazing

Re: Tell me about birdseye maple

No tonal difference from normal maple...just has more eyes

Comment

Yup....just looks prettier. I have a dresser from when I was a small boy that I re-finished for my daughter when she was small. It's built from solid Birdseye Maple, and it's stunning.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

His Grace is Amazing

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff_H
          Yup....just looks prettier. I have a dresser from when I was a small boy that I re-finished for my daughter when she was small. It's built from solid Birdseye Maple, and it's stunning.
          ever thought about how many guitars that could make?? Might even be a stunner - go on take a saw to it
          Normans Guitars

Comment

I just have to say that after playing a few guitars in a store yesterday adn i never appeciated birdseye so much after it..Although those guitars played great they didnt compare to my wolfie, after having it for a while i just cant go back..
            Marshall JVM 410C
            Mesa Boogie DC-3
            ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
            1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
            2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
            2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
            1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
            2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
            1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

It sounds the same as rock maple but it's not as stable.
              Thats why Peavey put two graphite rods in the wolfgang necks.
              ---RCM78

Comment

Originally posted by RCM78
                It sounds the same as rock maple but it's not as stable.
                Thats why Peavey put two graphite rods in the wolfgang necks.
                Only regarding the issue of stiffness, the figure in curly, or flamed, or tiger, or fiddleback maple--whatever you want to call it-comes from the structural fibers of the wood undulating through the wood. Where you see darkness is the end of a fiber cut as it exits the surface of the wood, pointed at your eye. Where you see lightness, you're seeing light reflected from the sides of fibers traveling parallel to your eye, reflecting light like mirrors. If you were to snap a guitar back made of highly flamed maple along a line parallel to the center, you'd see the fibers along the broken edge look like this:
                /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                a non-figured piece would have the fibers running like this:
                -----------------
                through the length of the back.
                What this means for strength is that a highly figured piece of wood is made of, essentially, bands of endgrain wood, which is, relative to straight grain, weak and not stiff, resulting in less stiffness along the length of the piece.

Whether this matters or not is the subject of debate among violin makers. Some people claim that plain wood, having more theoretical stiffness along its length, makes a better violins. No one really knows, though.

I couldn't find a photo on the web of a split piece, which makes it really obvious what's going on, but I did find this piece of furniture, which is sort of a visual pun on what's going on with the internal structure of the wood used to make the piece http://www.stenderdesign.com/NewFiles/Wave-Goodbye.html

You're Birdseye maple is the same. Although this is only in theory, you shouldnt have any problems what-so-ever with it warping or twisting due to the wood. Now the construction on the other hand is a different story, but remember, even warping happens on $3000 Fender guitars, or the $75 Mighty Mite neck. You never know.

Interesting thought here - We don't want grain runout but we're willing to pay higher prices for a piece of wood that has lots of grain runout, so long as the runout alternates direction a lot.

Hope this helps you bro
                Last edited by beandip; 08-16-2004, 12:38 AM.
                This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                  Only regarding the issue of stiffness, the figure in curly, or flamed, or tiger, or fiddleback maple--whatever you want to call it-comes from the structural fibers of the wood undulating through the wood. Where you see darkness is the end of a fiber cut as it exits the surface of the wood, pointed at your eye. Where you see lightness, you're seeing light reflected from the sides of fibers traveling parallel to your eye, reflecting light like mirrors. If you were to snap a guitar back made of highly flamed maple along a line parallel to the center, you'd see the fibers along the broken edge look like this:
                  /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                  -----------------
                  What this means for strength is that a highly figured piece of wood is made of, essentially, bands of endgrain wood, which is, relative to straight grain, weak and not stiff, resulting in less stiffness along the length of the piece.

Whether this matters or not is the subject of debate among violin makers. Some people claim that plain wood, having more theoretical stiffness along its length, makes a better violins. No one really knows, though.

I couldn't find a photo on the web of a split piece, which makes it really obvious what's going on, but I did find this piece of furniture, which is sort of a visual pun on what's going on with the internal structure of the wood used to make the piece http://www.stenderdesign.com/NewFiles/Wave-Goodbye.html

You're Birdseye maple is the same. Although this is only in theory, you shouldnt have any problems what-so-ever with it warping or twisting due to the wood. Now the construction on the other hand is a different story, but remember, even warping happens on $3000 Fender guitars, or the $75 Mighty Mite neck. You never know.

Interesting thought here - We don't want grain runout but we're willing to pay higher prices for a piece of wood that has lots of grain runout, so long as the runout alternates direction a lot.

Hope this helps you bro
                  ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

Aside from it looking great, as was already said, sounds just like Maple. EXACTLY what I was gonna do if I got that hard-tail body from Fatty...good luck with that !!!

Jeff H.....put me down for a piece of the top & a drawer front!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                    Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                    FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                    http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                      /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
                      -----------------

Hope this helps you bro

WOW cool info Bean.

Thanks for taking the time

Lou
                      His Grace is Amazing

Comment

Originally posted by sweet_lou
                        WOW cool info Bean.

Thanks for taking the time

Lou
                        Anytime man.
                        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

So, Lou, how's the neck workin?

Comment

Working...
                          X