Aging pickups...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aging pickups...

Just out of curiosity and because I am the kind of guy who likes to tinker. Is there any way I can purposefully age my pickups?? And if I did would the results be beneficial? I have a 59 at the neck and a JB at the bridge. I mean if Seymour makes Antiquity buckers there must be a way.

Re: Aging pickups...

All aging would do is weaken the magnets. That creates a weaker output and a warmer tone.

IMHO, it's nothing special. Is it cool? Sure, but most people won't really care about the difference. The Antiquities had more soul and mojo than a lot of pickups I've tried, but they still aren't my favorites.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Cool Chris thnks for the advice.......just curious more than ne thing. I had heard and played a pair of aged gibson buckers on one of their vintage semi-hollows and nearly cried it sounded so good. Just wondered if it was possibly to cheat the system if you know what I mean lol!

Comment

No problem

I'm not sure if there is a way to weaken the magnets without any fancy machinery. As far as I know, the only person who actually "ages" the pickups himself is Seymour Duncan.

You might want to consider trying the Antiquity line. It's far better than anything Gibson puts out nowadays. It does a great job of replicating that genuine vintage "PAF" tone.

From what I've gathered, Seth Lovers are basically Antiquities without the aged magnets, so they have better output and aren't quite as warm. I guess it all depends what you're looking for. To me, the perfect humbucker is Duane Allmans' on the early Allman Brothers records (aka Eat A Peach).

Probably more info than you wanted to know, but it might point you in somewhat of a direction
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Actually I already knew that Antiquities is probably what will really suit my tonal needs. But right now it isnt worth shelling out the $150 per pickup. I will do that when I get my Epi LP. Then I will worry about.........man though I loved those pickups I should go see if that guitar is still there so I can play it and well drool because it is 2 grand and I will NEVER ever have that kind of money to burn.

Comment

this question is partly addressed in the FAQ of the main site. Here's the link:
            9.1 Magnets:
            "music heals"
            facebook

Comment

Cool thnks alot curly......maybe I will change the magnet in my JB......I have felt it isn't quite warm enough......anyone got ne suggestions on the type to use.

Comment

well ... warmer = A2

that might put you in Custom Custom territory, although that's just a hunch on my part. maybe Stevo has tried an A2 JB?
                "music heals"
                facebook

Comment

Working...
                X