Good Electric For Slide Use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Electric For Slide Use

I've decided (again...) to try and teach myself how to play slide, and have been using my telecaster for the time being. I was just curious about what kind of preferences people have about slide on electrics. Duane had his LP's, Derek Trucks has his '61 SG, etc. What do you guys prefer? How do humbuckers compare to single coils, what kind of body construction (solid, semihollow, etc) woods, neck joints, etc, contribute to a quality sound for slide.
    Also, what kinds of slides do you prefer? I've been having a lot of fun playing with different objects and seeing the difference in tone. My parents run a glassware and ceramics company, which gives me a large pool of slide substitutes to pull from. (Lots of little novelty shot glasses and stuff which make for some pretty unique slides)
    This isn't meant to be any kind of formal post with exact answers to the questions, just getting some banter going about slide guitar, etc, seeing what people have had experience with and what they liked.

Re: Good Electric For Slide Use

For me it's either my LP with a PG set in standard tuning (10-52) or my Sheraton with a Phat Cat set also in standard tuning (10-52). I like to play slide with a thick brass one and a smooth, fat OD tone that sings.

I try to shoot for a Warren Hayes kidn of vibe.

I need to practice.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

lol, practice? See, I find it more fun to discuss it (hence, the thread) than actually work on getting better
      I've actually been teaching myself by watching the Allman Bro's "Beacon Theater" DVD and just copying what Derek and Warren do (which isn't the easiest way, but...oh well) I have my tele in E for Derek and my LP in STD for Warren. I have a very short attention span though, so I force myself to use the tele, since I don't know anything in open E. Whenever I play the LP, I can't stay focused. As soon as I get the slightest bit frustrated, I just resort back to what I know, and the slide-playing stops right there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe01
        lol, practice? See, I find it more fun to discuss it (hence, the thread) than actually work on getting better
        I've actually been teaching myself by watching the Allman Bro's "Beacon Theater" DVD and just copying what Derek and Warren do (which isn't the easiest way, but...oh well) I have my tele in E for Derek and my LP in STD for Warren. I have a very short attention span though, so I force myself to use the tele, since I don't know anything in open E. Whenever I play the LP, I can't stay focused. As soon as I get the slightest bit frustrated, I just resort back to what I know, and the slide-playing stops right there.

I completely agree with you bro!

Listen to Warren's work on the first Blues Traveler album. It's what got me interested in playing slide. Amazing tone and playing.

Comment

Holy crap, I didn't even know that was him! I'll definitely have to pull that out when I get home from work (thats right, I'm getting paid as we speak!)

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe01
            Holy crap, I didn't even know that was him! I'll definitely have to pull that out when I get home from work (thats right, I'm getting paid as we speak!)
            He plays on "The Mountains win again" . BTW, I'm at work too. Hope my boss isn't on the board!

Comment

Jimmy Page used a Danelectro for In My Time Of Dying which is some amazingly dark and scary stuff! Not what I'd consider a typical slide sound. It kind of sounded like a Dobro plugged in... awesome! Definitely gave an evil Delta blues kind of sound! You can see him playing it live on the recently released DVD set... unreal!!!
              1978 Lefty Gibson Les Paul Custom (C5 bridge, Jazz neck) with Jimmy Page wiring
              1996 Lefty Fender Jazzmaster (w/ SD Antiquity IIs)
              2003 Lefty Taylor 414RCE (Rosewood Limited Edition with Expression System)
              Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier 3-channel through Marshall 1960A cabinet via THD HotPlate
              Effects: Fulltone Clyde Deluxe Wah, Fulltone DejaVibe, Maxon Rotary Phaser (PH-350), Boss DD6, Boss RC20 LoopStation, BBE Sonic Stomp

Comment

Anything can be used for slide. Slide is all about the vibrato and feeling, and less about the tone, ya know? RL Burnside uses a Squire strat, and Jonny Lang uses a tele. It's all about the way you play. Check out "Feelin Bad Blues" by Ry Cooder. It's really easy to play and it gets you off on the right foot. If you wanna hear the song, it's in the movie Crossroads (w/ the Karate Kid), the scene when they're in the hotel and Willie says "The blues aint nothin but a good man feelin down cause of his woman".
                This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

lol, i remember that movie...horrible movie, but some nice guitar playing. That duel between the karate kid and steve vai is too much though
                  (if i ever try bending a note so hard i fall over, its time to give up the instrument!)

Comment

LOL, no kiddin man. And Ralph couldnt cop Ry's licks if his life depended on it. I saw him mess up so many times. Now if Ry and Vai deuled, that would've been one hell of a movie.
                    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Check out the Gibson Nighthawks. They're very small and light and have great stock pickups.

Comment

I have a tele set up for slide, with open G tuning, and a JD/ Hot neck combo that sounds fine. I like the clarity of single coils, and the tuning stability of my tele, but I also fatten up the tone with some OD or Distortion. I notice that a lot of slide players use comp pedals, too.

I use a Dunlop 215, medium pyrex for most stuff, but I have a small coricidin bottle that's a little better for picking out lead lines. I like the tone of glass, but I've thought about experimenting with a chrome slide lately, to go for more of that Lowell George tone.

Duane was without doubt a beautiful, lyrical slide player, but I also like Ry Cooder, the late Lowell George, and Sonny Landreth, as well as David Lindley.

I made a couple slide demos here:
                        slide demos

I don't pretend to be a slide player, but I try to get a good tone, and go from there. It does take some commitment, though.
                        Last edited by Curly; 08-16-2004, 06:44 PM.
                        "music heals"
                        facebook

Comment

Yeah, I actually plan on picking up a coricidin bottle today after work. A friend of mine and I decided to go over to guitarcenter after we get off work, and I've been jones'n for one of these for a while now, so I'm just gonna bite the bullet and finally buy one. Its crazy, I can drop a few hundred on an amp on ebay like its nothin, but then I hesitate to spend $6 on a slide.

Comment

Well, I use my Variax for slide and my 52 RI. I mostly use the middle position because of the punch and clarity.
                            -Butch Snyder
                            butchsnyder.com

Never cut your nose off to spite your face. It never grows back...

Comment

IMHO a good guitar for slide is one that NOT to good,Or one that has
                              neck issuse. I know it sounds crazy ! But if your on a budget It's the best
                              way to go. Aslong as you can put heavy gauge strings on it and it has
                              a good bridge PuP it's G.F.S.(good for slide) A 61' LP/SG is
                              is the dream slide guitar. But where talking big $$ for something your
                              gonna raise the action on?? I wouldn't spent top dollar on a guitar
                              to use just for slide. I did a neck repair on a EPI LP. The neck wes
                              broken at the 3rd fret (his mother ran it over!!) The repair came
                              out good, But I told himThe trust rod may not work after. Sure
                              enuff the trust rod was fubar. But it was perfect for slide.
                              Just my two cents
                              http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Working...
                              X