banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have a "reverse honeymoon stage" with their new gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone have a "reverse honeymoon stage" with their new gear?

Originally posted by Jeff_H
    I just buy something else new to make myself feel better!
    Me too come to think of it!

Comment

I know must of my stereo gear came with a recommended burn-in time before it was predicted to sound up to scratch.

Maybe with guitar amps they too can benefit from some burn-in time.

With my stereo amp the manual recommended giving it 24 hours power-up time before usage for best results.

Comment

Originally posted by HolyDirt
        Whenever i buy some new gear, i always think it's below what i expected, then, after 3-4 days, it seems that the tone just sounds so much better than when i first got it. Even with used stuff. Anyone have reverse honeymoon stages with their gear? Or am i just insane?
        Yepp I know this!
        RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
        TS 7 (modded)
        Hot Rod 50+ XL
        Framus Dragon 4x12
        V-AMP II for practice

Comment

Yeah... I do that... whenever I get new gear, I'm SUPER CRITICAL of it, but, I've come to find out that that's how I weed out problems.... it's saved me a crappy cabinet, AB box and tubes.

When I got super critical of my vox and such, everyone I knew was like, "you aren't happy with it?" I took it it, they took out a set of POS chinese tubes, put in JJ's and it sounded great and there were no more problems.
          You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
            No regrets... yet. Every purchase I've made has been better than the last. Each time I become more and more educated on what it is I like and am looking for. I thought I'd regret selling the LP Standard, but my Grosh kicks way more than that guitar ever did and I wouldn't have done things any differently.
            That brings up a good point.

Prior to me using the internet as a research tool, I made some dumb and regretable gear decisions.

Now that I therally (sp?) research my decisions, along with running idea's past others on forums such as this, I've made zero dumb decisions and only one that turned out regrettable (although, in all honesty it was a good decision at the time).
            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I went through the "reverse honeymoon" with my Tele. Took some time to get used to feeling and tone wise, I suppose, but now that I'm more comfortable with it the Tele is trying to battle my LP for the #1 spot.
              Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                That brings up a good point.

Prior to me using the internet as a research tool, I made some dumb and regretable gear decisions.

Now that I therally (sp?) research my decisions, along with running idea's past others on forums such as this, I've made zero dumb decisions and only one that turned out regrettable (although, in all honesty it was a good decision at the time).
                I'm the same.
                My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

All you guys suffering from Reverse Honeymoon Stage condition (RHSc) should send your guitars to me and I will look after it and make sure that it gets the treatment that it deserves - play the buggers to death!! then you can have them back and your RHS condition will disappear straightaway!!
                  Normans Guitars

Comment

I think you need to familiarize yourself with any new gear before you can write it off ; I chalk it up to the easy tendency to think that just because something is different, it sucks. I went through this after doing my first pickup replacement- at first I hated it and cursed myself for fixing something that wasn't broken. I also bought a Tele and thought the same thing. But after I got used to their tone and stopped comparing it to my other guitar, I started appreciating them for what they are. Just keep upgrading- you will definitely start to appreciate the difference that quality parts make in tone and feel.
                    Carvin SC90 (Jazz neck, CC bridge)
                    Fender Aerodyne Telecaster (stock pups: tele bridge and p-90 neck)
                    Ampeg Reverberocket combo

http://emayhem.com/toptenidols
                    http://emayhem.com/the_fords
                    (note: these songs were not recorded using the gear mentioned above...)

Comment

Working...
                    X