Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Please Help! Want Gibson & Fender in one Guitar

yeah mike i know what you mean.

But I'd rather have something that could get me close to everything and let my fingers do the work.

plus the control layout on a lespaul is stupid... you have to move your playing position to change pups or to move the volume control

the strat layout is so much better.

im getting that axe built for me so the wiring isnt my problem
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

How bout this? Fender scale, gibson body, P90's and SC's. And you can pick one up on Ebay pretty reasonably...

And lotsa switches

'Without music life would be a mistake'.

Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche

Comment

I own a Fender Lone star strat with a SD Pearly Gates Plus humbucker(similar to a '59) in the bridge position and two Duncan SSL-1 single coil. It's an amazing guitar that delivers both "Les Paul" and "strat" sounds. The middle single coil is RWRP to get rid of the noise.

Comment

I recommend a Paul Reed Smith McCarty or custom 22. Order the custom 22 with McCarty switching and a trem, and you'll have an excellent hybrid guitar. Perhaps a maple bolt-in CE model may suit, as well.

The two new SE models may also be worth looking at if you can't spring the cash for a US model.

In the end, it's impossible to get both sounds out of one guitar. All you can do is compromise in the direction tha best suits you.

How about a Line 6 variax?
          Originally posted by Jolly
          ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

There are a LOT of guitars out there, and I'd recommend you play as many guitars as you can that have coil taps. This will give you a feel for whether a split-humbucker is good enough for you or whether a real single-coil is needed (they do sound different in most settings). You might find just what you're looking for without going through all the trouble of buying a guitar and then replacing pickups and installing switches and all that, and you'll KNOW what the final sound will be like. Of course, it helps if the guitar you're looking at already has SD's installed...
            Carvin SC90 (Jazz neck, CC bridge)
            Fender Aerodyne Telecaster (stock pups: tele bridge and p-90 neck)
            Ampeg Reverberocket combo

http://emayhem.com/toptenidols
            http://emayhem.com/the_fords
            (note: these songs were not recorded using the gear mentioned above...)

Comment

One Gibson, one Fender, and a good amp....you're set, man.

Get a Fat Strat, it's a perfect compromise.

-X
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

If you really need to limit it to one guitar, then I'd say get a fender with a humbucker in the bridge. If David Gilmour is your favorite guitar player, you're definitely going to want a single coil in the neck. He gets some of the most amazing sounds, and a split humbucker is never going to bring you close to his tone. Then you can use the humbucker in the bridge to give you the nice fat les paul sounds.

Comment

a strat with a humbucker will sound exactly that, a humbucker in a strat. the two sounds are very distinctave and having both in one is very unlikely. I would say go with prs because of the split coil option.
                  Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

You could always try getting a mahogany body, with a maple top, off Warmoth, with routing for H-S-H

Set it up with coil splitting.

Like some of the others have said, you'll lose a little bit of strat-quack, but it would be one heck of a great versatile guitar.

Comment

Thanks everyone! You've all given me alot to think about. BTW what is a Fat Strat?

Comment

a strat with a humbucker in the bridge

a double fat has a humbucker in neck and bridge
                        My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                        How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Try a Ernie BallMusic Man Silhouette Special..on mine I can clone a great Fender and a great Gibson sound...of course, I changed the pickups to HH (splitable). Or try a Brian Moore, which has very versatile switching.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You know, i was an Lp guy until this guy at guitar center let me try a deluxe am strat. The tone is just so addictive and more colorful to me i guess. I say either get an LP or a strat, let either one grow on you, then get the one you dont own if the LP or the strat hasn't grown on you. I guarantee you will fall in love with the LP tone or the Strat tone, you'll be satisfied with both, then you can get the other one if you so please.
                            2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Working...
                            X