Amp Techs... master volume

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Techs... master volume

Hey amp gurus. I've got a Marshall DSL50 that I absolutly love. Trouble is, to get the breakup I want want now I've got to crank the SOB to atleast 4 - 5 on the volume knobs, and that kills when you're in a 15x15 room with the thing.

Is it possible to add a master volume to the amp so I can crank the drive channels but pull the volume down enough so that the sonic meltdown doesn't kill me?
    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Re: Amp Techs... master volume

That amp already has master volume controls. What you desire is output tube distortion, which will require an attenuator.

Comment

Maybe I have terminology mixed up. Each channel has it's own volume control. There is not one volume control that will control both channels (the whole amp). If I've got my terminology mixed up, please tell me. I thought that a master volume would be a volume control that controls the final output of every channel.

I want to be able to drive the tubes harder yet not deal with the volume that comes with turning the volume on the ultra gain channel to 5. Is that possible?
      Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS
        I want to be able to drive the tubes harder yet not deal with the volume that comes with turning the volume on the ultra gain channel to 5. Is that possible?
        A master volume would not give you output tube breakup. output tube breakup is achieved when the tubes are smokin hot which is what happens when you crank it or when using the attenuator, so pretty much your only option is crank it or attenuator, besides for the price of a master volume mod which wouldnt even do what you want you could get an attenuator.

Comment

God, nevermind, that was easy to look up. Hi, I'm Mike, and I'm retarded. Should have done some research first.

Comment

Lol , COinidentally I just got a MASS off Mrid.. Havent got to play with it tho because I dont have an unshielded speaker cable at the moment..
            Marshall JVM 410C
            Mesa Boogie DC-3
            ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
            1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
            2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
            2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
            1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
            2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
            1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

Working...
            X