Help me decide on a speaker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide on a speaker.

I'm gonna get a new speaker for my dsl 401 combo, I've narrowed it down to the eminence v12 and the gb12. I wanna change speakers because sometimes I feel that the tone I get can be gritty or buzzy or fuzzy and I've heard people say the stock speakers suck bad compared to replacements. So between those two speakers which ones will give me clear articulate NON buzzy or gritty sound with smooth mids, nice bass, and controlled highs, but can cut through very well, something very likeable to the ear and non buzzy at all costs? I like classic tones like brian robertson(thin lizzy), hendrix and early angus tone.

Re: Help me decide on a speaker.

the amp also has el84s and is class AB 40 watts

Comment

I really like the V12's...I have a set in my JCM 800 combo. Really smooth and balanced. If I was going to go with another speaker, I'd try the new Redcoat series from Eminence. I think the Gouvner is the model, but I'd have to check. Can't go wrong with Eminence IMO.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

I'd recommend the Weber Silver Bell/Blue Dog combo. Every person I've ever talked to that has played this combo has loved it much more than anything Celestion puts out.

I was talking in particular to a guy I met who owns a very, very expensive audiophile recording studio and he says that Celestions are cheap. I tend to agree. With that said, we both LOVE the pre-rola Greenbacks (the old Celestions with the Marshall logo on them in the vintage Marshall cabs.... real heaven). However, as far as modern day speakers go, Webers are VERY, VERY good speakers!
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Working...
        X