Gibson Faded SG

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson Faded SG

I may have an oppurtunity to get a Gibson SG Special Faded. I checked it out earlier today and the only thing wrong with it is a tuning knob is missing. Of course I would want to do some upgrades to it as well (new pickups, tuning machines). He got the guitar for free and he really doesn't need it so I told this guy that if was interested in selling it I could give him $300 for it. Do you think that's a reasonable price, considering what it is, and it's condition? Thanks.
    -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
    Vox VT15
    Washburn D10SCE
    Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Re: Gibson Faded SG

ya i'd take it thats a good price

Comment

ive played 7 faded sg's, and cut my fingers sliding on the board 4 times.....a refret is a must
      esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
      fender mim standard strat
      peavey classic 30
      johnson j-station
      original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
      dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
      yamaha f-310p acoustic
      taylor 410 acoustic
      "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

ya i noticed that too the faded series have very poor fret jobs.
        Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

Thanks guys! I really didn't get a chance to play it, just looked it over. The frets didn't appear to be in bad shape, but like I said, I havent played it. Would it be worth having a fret job?
          -Tom

Epiphone G400 w/Duncan Custom
          Vox VT15
          Washburn D10SCE
          Getsch Electromatic Junior Jet Bass

Comment

Save your money and start with something really good. Turd polishing gets old fast. Gibson is really chasing the bottom of the market with the faded series. They're not terrible, infact the LP style ones sound OK and look OK, but the faded SG & flying V's reek of cheap for me. For a bit more you could start with a used guitar from another company's top of the line like an Epiphone, Hamer, Heritage and many others. In my opinion, if you have to have the Gibson name, save your money and start with something better.
            GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
            KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

for $300 i think thats a great deal. the fret ends might be sharp but all you need is the frets dressed, not a total refret. of all the faded stuff i like the sg the best, its pretty close to a sg special for a couple hundred less even compared to a std you are only losing out on inlays, binding, and finish. the mechanics of the guitar are the same

Comment

the faded gibsons aren't all bad, though there are alot of bad ones out there. i lucked out and found a great guitar when i got my faded sg. it plays like a dream, and even the fretwork was done nicely. granted, it was one of the first faded ones to come out, and the quality seems to have dropped some. but go play it, and if it plays nice, snatch it up. replacing a tuning knob doesnt cost much. as far as pickups, i dont know what type of music you play, but i put a JB in the bridge, and left the neck stock, though am thinking about swapping it out for something else soon.
                Fender John Mayer Strat
                Gibson SG Special w/ JB bridge
                PRS Soapbar II SE
                Bad Cat Cub IIR 1x12
                Budda Twinmaster and matching 2x12 cab

Taylor 614CE

Comment

aw shucks!! was gonna get one in like a week... anyway, the faded & the Special are going for the same price at my dealer's, any comments on the Special?
                  Psychic Horns

Comment

the faded is basically a special with less finish on the body
                    esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                    fender mim standard strat
                    peavey classic 30
                    johnson j-station
                    original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                    dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                    yamaha f-310p acoustic
                    taylor 410 acoustic
                    "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

I haven't been terribly impressed with the faded Gibsons, but I've played some really nice ones and some really shoddy ones. Maybe it has to do with the mood of the assemblyman at the time, I dunno. $300 doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.
                      www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Of the Faded SG's I've played some really good ones and really bad ones. Of the really bad ones, the fretwork was always the worst part of the guitar. No matter what though, they all felt pretty well-balanced with pretty playable necks. However, if it were up to me, I'd save up for a Standard or look for a Gothic SG on eBay. Better quality IMO.
                        Gibson SG Standard (498T/498R)
                        Schecter C-1 Elite (Custom/59)
                        Fender Deluxe Double Fat Strat (Carvin SD22/M22N)
                        Yamaha FG-413S acoustic
                        Marshall G15CDR
                        Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
                        Marshall 1960A
                        Boss ME-50
                        ...and just a little talent.

Comment

I guess I got a good one, because the faded SG I used to have RULED!

Comment

uh.....if the dude got it for free, then why are you gonna pay for it?
                            Originally posted by Aceman
                            It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by ex-250
                              uh.....if the dude got it for free, then why are you gonna pay for it?
                              ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

Working...
                              X