banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me choose my custom guitar (warmoth)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose my custom guitar (warmoth)

I'm thinking of ordering a warmoth VIp guitar and neck.

Specs: Mahogany body with maple top
    Hard maple neck with brazilian rosewood fretboard
    Vintage 6-hole L.R Baggs trem
    Grover locking machines
    (not sure about pickup config... H-s-s / h-h... need help)

Any suggestions as to which pickups to use for which config would be appreciated.
    I play progressive to hard rock but I would still like a really nice (clear and "toney") clean sound for my neck pickup.

I was thinking of JB, Hot Rails, Lil' 59 for H-s-s
    or JB, Alnico 2pro/59/jazz/stag mag for h-h (which neck would be best coil tapped)

If you have any thoughts an wood choice for any part of my guitar plz share them with me. I would also like to hear from people with warmoth instruments (or who knows them) if they would recommend warmoth.

tHANX

Re: Help me choose my custom guitar (warmoth)

My Warmoth body is still on order, but I will say that their customer service has treated me very well, promptly answering any questions and concerns I've had.

As far as helping you decide on a pickup configuration, I really can't help you there since I don't really know what you are looking for in terms of versatility and tone.

In the H/H configuration, a lot of guys run the JBb with either a '59 or a Jazz, both seem to work well. Another pup to consider might be one of the customs (CC, C5). They are great pups if you're looking for a hard rock sound.

I don't know what your experience is, but if you are considering a H-S-S guitar, go play some. See if you can't find some guitars that you can a/b the two pickup configurations you're considering. You may find that the single coils offer a more enjoyable tone. Don't forget those notch positions!

And where are my manners! Welcome to the boards!
    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Re: Help me choose my custom guitar (warmoth)

Originally posted by Cron
      I'm thinking of ordering a warmoth VIp guitar and neck.

Specs: Mahogany body with maple top
      Hard maple neck with brazilian rosewood fretboard
      Vintage 6-hole L.R Baggs trem
      Grover locking machines
      (not sure about pickup config... H-s-s / h-h... need help)
      I have a *very* similar guitar, except the neck is Gibson scale and mahogany. I found the VIP to be very bright in the bridge position. I originally tried a C5, but the bass of the mahogany and the brightness of the maple cap, when mixed with the bassy and bright C5, produced a guitar that was way too bright and way too bassy. I switched the C5 for a Custom Custom. I'm thinking that with your maple neck, you'll probably want to do the same thing. I'd be wary of installing a JB, and would shy towards a CC, Custom, or Seth.

As for the neck, I'd say go for the Jazz. I originally tried a PGn, but it was not the tone I was looking for. So I swapped the A2 for an A5 magnet, and the neck sounds soooo much better. The A5 PGn is not bassy and is articulate and clear, and I bet a Jazz would sound similar.
      This machine kills fascists

Comment

Working...
      X