More warmth from strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More warmth from strings?

Is it really that noticable with different but similar strings as far as tone? I am using GHS Boomers 11-54 custmo gauge and love the feel, but sometimes I feel thay can be bright or provide more string noise.

Anyone have experience with D'Addario? I try to find companies tha make it easy to by single strings like Ernie Ball, GHS, and D'Addario. I want to retain the nice resonance and tightness of the Boomers.

Who knows....mabye I'll stick with them.

I find that D'Addario strings aren't as bright when brand new, but don't seem to have a really bad dropoff as they age. I like strings with a bit more sparkle, though, like GHS strings.

You may want to try something like the Ernie Ball Rock & Roll strings or something else that is all-nickle. They are appreciably warmer.

Nick

Comment

I think I just get thrown by the very bright tone of brand new GHS Boomers.

Comment

I use D'Addario strings on everything. THey don't break, they sound good and have relativley good life. What more can you ask for? But everybody is different..... Thank God!!
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

For a warmer tone you may want to try a set of DR Pure Blues or GHS Nickel Rockers. Let's face it, trying different strings is probably the lowest cost tone modification you can make!
          John Cipollina August 24, 1943 - May 29, 1989

Comment

Are the Nickel rockers pure nickel??

Will they effect intonation if I replace my Boomers????

Comment

I like DR Tite-Fits. D'Addario are sometimes too bright for me.
              This machine kills fascists

Comment

Nickel seems to have always produced a warmer (read:less bright) tone for me. I was told that it's never pure nickel. It's a Nickel coating and only on the wound strings!?! Though I can't say for sure what really goes into a nickel string, non-nickel has a "ring" that bugs me and is too bright. I have finally settled on D'Addario strings - very consistent tone.

Comment

DRs tite fits never cease to give me a good tone even when you don't chage the strings for like 4-5 months
                  Guitars:
                  87' Gibson Les Paul Custom- Stock PUs
                  86' Carvin V220- Super distortion neck, tonezone bridge....
                  87' Cort Unknown Model, Modded- Dimarzio Super Distortion Bridge with Alnico V mag.

Amp:
                  Bogner Ecstasy-stock Tubes
                  Marshall JMP 50 watt- stock Tubes
                  Fender Deluxe 90-Solid State..:-P

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Cuitous
                    Nickel seems to have always produced a warmer (read:less bright) tone for me. I was told that it's never pure nickel. It's a Nickel coating and only on the wound strings!?! Though I can't say for sure what really goes into a nickel string, non-nickel has a "ring" that bugs me and is too bright. I have finally settled on D'Addario strings - very consistent tone.
                    Have you tried GHS Boomers?

Comment

Originally posted by dalastcaffeine
                      DRs tite fits never cease to give me a good tone even when you don't chage the strings for like 4-5 months
                      I have been using GHS Boomers 11-54 custom and don't know if tite fits come in a .54 gauge.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Cuitous
                        I was told that it's never pure nickel. It's a Nickel coating and only on the wound strings!?!
                        This is correct. The "pure nickel" refers to the wire that wraps round the wound strings (that's a tongue-twister!) - the inner core and plain strings remain a metal alloy.

The strings I use are Ernie Ball Nickel Wounds, and they're pretty dark sounding. You could try shifting up a gauge altogether, but I doubt that'd make much diffference given you're current gauge.
                        Gibson Les Paul w/ Seths. Strung with EB 12's
                        Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI
                        Arbiter Fuzz Face, Fulltone Fatboost, Crybaby, Voce Spin II

Comment

Jonny, you have that LP strung with 12s? what is the low E??

Do you know anything about correect tension and balance on the neck of an LP?

I use GHS Boomers 11 14 18 30 42 54 in drop D a half step down so my low E is actually Db and my low A is Ab.

Do you see any issues with tension in this case?

Thanks!

Comment

Flatwounds. I picked em up a few months ago and love em. A set of flatwound 11 are the extremely smoot and warm. I swear by them.
                            Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

Working...
                            X