Fender hater converts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender hater converts...

I don't like the typcial Strat sound with Strat single coils. However, I love the sound of a tele's lipstick pickup and I love the sounds of other single-coil like Fender guitars like the Jazzmaster and Jaguar.

I like most Fenders as long as they're interesting. I don't like the tried-and-true Strat designs; too safe.
    Gibson SG Standard (498T/498R)
    Schecter C-1 Elite (Custom/59)
    Fender Deluxe Double Fat Strat (Carvin SD22/M22N)
    Yamaha FG-413S acoustic
    Marshall G15CDR
    Marshall JCM 2000 DSL100
    Marshall 1960A
    Boss ME-50
    ...and just a little talent.

Comment

I miss having a complete stock strat....but I am still looking for that good one.
      No Floyd, no humbuckers....hehe
      And no blocked trem either

Comment

I started out as a Fender hater! I used to hate the feel/sound of Strats (issues with the neck and body), Teles were meh, I considered myself an Ibanez/Gibson HH man. then I heard the Jag and Jazzmaster! Jaguar=best clean sound EVER! I prefer the Jag feel and neck much over most Strats... Though recently I've warmed up to the look/sound of a strat...

so yeah, I was ignorant.

Generally I hate the way humbuckers sound clean for some reason (I think I'm alone though), conversely I never used to liked the way singles sound distorted. Back when I used to only play distorted, Fenders were ruled out for me. This is why I'm not bothered by the fact that I hate the sound of my Schecter played clean (though my coil split mod helps that though), and that my Jaguar squeals horribly if I turn the gain knob up (soon to be alleviated with SDs) and has no sustain. Both have a purpose.

I used to "hate" prs just because of their image, despite that they make great guitars, but I think I've gotten over that now. I'd play a soapbar SE. I'm still not sure if I could still love myself if I owned a guitar related to creed though... call me ignorant.

I LOVE P90s. Tried a Les Paul melody maker and was blown away... haven't got my mind off them ever since... I'll probably go for something with a neck pickup though a special doublecut maybe? Or a soapbar SE?
        dan

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

I've always loved the neck single coil sound as well as the middle but can't seem to come to grips with a single coil in the bridge. Not knocking it, just sounds like it's lacking something to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
            How can you "hate" a guitar? You must see the beauty in them all. Look below the scratches, the bad intonation, the thin paint jobs, there's beauty beneath. Reach down deep into the bowels of your musicianship and come up with some love for the unloved....

If you think you like those Fender single coils, wait until you get funky with a P90! Once with a P90 in black, you'll never go back, one with a p90 in cream and you'll blow away the scene.

That's funny...I was just thinking about changing my PGn pickup to a Phat Cat...

Farkus
            2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
            1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

hm, sg's feel like a giraffe, and les pauls feel like a fat midget. For some reason i love tele necks but hate les paul ones, just the overall feel of the guitar is...bad. and the rythm pickup is too muddy for my taste, and at over a grand, even if i got one i'd hafta wait a long while before i could afford to replace it
              Originally posted by gibson175
              metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

For me, it came down to asking myself if I wanted a "copy" guitar or the real deal. There's a reason why there are so many guitar models built in the shadows of the originals from the '50's. I see so many knock-offs and copies of the Stratocaster and Les Paul, and there are a lot of good quality models out there....but they're all styled after their respective Fender and Gibson forefathers who have withstood the tests of time and remain the most played and sought after electric guitars around.
                Fender and Gibson must have made a few right moves along the way or there wouldn't have been so many others riding their coat-tails, IMO.
                ....Bob

Comment

well, I don't HATE single coils... but I prefer the beef of a humbucker over any single coil any day... they do have their place, though. Gotta love the jangle...

Also, I've always loved strats, but until recently I've thought of Fenders as overpriced. Aren't strats just sexy to hold? Mean... they're so... petite and docile... I love them.
                  You can get a suprisingly good country guitar tone out of a Marshall Halfstack.

Comment

Originally posted by Indie P Bass
                    Aren't strats just sexy to hold? Mean... they're so... petite and docile... I love them.
                    Whoa....hold on there cowboy.
                    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Single coils versus humbuckers is just merely a means to get different tone. Certain music sounds great on my classical guitar, where as other music sounds better on my streal string acoustic. I prefer using humbuckers, but if I want that historical blues sound, then I need single coils. I think we all should have at least four guitars, humbuckers, single coils, classic and acoustic. I play them all. Check out Joe Satriani's latest album, he uses single coil and humbucker guitars, 6 string acoustic and I believe a twelve string. "Is There Love In Space?" But I don't think it should be limited to a fender. I prefer Suhr guitars over the Fenders.

Comment

The best kinda single coil tone is that deep, rich, piano-meets-bell bottom end, clear and articulate mids, and crystalline top end that gets smoother as you get higher up in the register. Eric Johnson does this perfectly. THATS a single-coil tone, not those cruddy SC's in the Ibanezes and Squiers. Those are so paper-thin weak and plasticy I dunno how anyone stands them.

Great job on seeing the light, man.

Comment

I used to be a young metaller-shredder who played Ibanez guitars...

Then I went off them, got more into blues, jazz, funk, country, rock, pop, etc...

And bought a Tele and a G&L Legacy

They say it happens to most guitarists at some stage.

Comment

Well, I used to hate Fender until I started looking for new pickups for my Epi special 2. I tried a few to listen to the pickup sound. I like the feel of a strat but not so much the tele. I also thought that the pickups weren't quite for me on both guiatrs. But, then, at that time I was a fairly inexperienced guitarist and didn't have an exact idea of my tonal needs. I ended up getting a 59' and a JB and am not satisfied anymore. (Of course my local guitar dealer had me play a vintage Gibby semi-hollow with original buckers, so my appreciation for most other pickups is probably spoiled. ) Once I am ready to buy my next guitar I am going to try out some Fenders, though. I am wondering if maybe an SSH config might be right for me. Or an Epi LP with some Antiquity buckers. So, I am kind of nuetral at this point I guess. Anywho enough of my rambling.

Comment

Working...
                            X