X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gibson Last straw...

Originally posted by KeeperOS View Post
    Forgive me if I don't confuse "good business" with "honest business"...
    How is a high price dishonest? A price is never dishonest in and of itself, just high or low relative to the market. If they tell you you're getting something that you don't actually get, that's dishonest.

But if I clip a toenail and put it on E-bay tomorrow and say "It's just a toenail but I want $6 billion" and somebody makes a bid and says "I know it's just a toenail, but I'm willing to go that high for it", and I sell it to him, it's a perfectly honest deal. It's not dishonest unless I send him a fingernail.
    Generic signature line.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
      On the price issue, look at the prices of ALL guitars...they are all going up. I see Tele's and Strats all day long for $3000+ and no body seems to have a problem with that at all...
      Here's why you won't hear me complain about Fender's prices:

When I started playing guitar, a MIM Fender Strat or Tele was $350. Now, 15 years later, a MIM Strat is $400, has better pickups and hardware than it did, and includes a nice gig-bag. An MIA Standard Strat was $900 and is now $1000.

Now, check out Gibson. They've raised their prices more than that in the last year.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Investment. Right. Tell that to those people who bought thousands of Les Pauls between 2005 and 2008 ignoring or not knowing that they are chambered. these people will be screwed on the used market, mathematically.

I got really pissed about Gibson when somebody X-rayed the bumblebee capacitor in a historic and found it's one of those with a small capacitor inside and a bumblebee looking shell. WTF?

I love my studio and it doesn't have issues that really affect sound or playability. Looks nice, plays nice, sounds nice. That's more like it.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
          ....somebody X-rayed the bumblebee capacitor in a historic and found it's one of those with a small capacitor inside and a bumblebee looking shell. WTF?

I bet the owner swore by his bumblebee caps when he first bought it, too
          “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I've been looking for a few pieces lately and I see Fender selling $5000 relic CS Strats. I can't freak out about Gibson's prices when I see that though they may be hard to fathom.

I can't say I really like some of the things Gibson does or product they put out but so what? Why would I get hung up on it? They make plenty of good affordable guitars which is what they should do. If you want the premier models you are going to pay - player, speculator or collector. If you are a professional musician your guitar is your lifeblood, spend on it what you must and play it, all the peripheral stuff is just BS.
            Last edited by Wattage; 07-09-2008, 09:11 PM.
            My Bands -
            https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
            www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
            www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
            GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Zhangliqun View Post
              How is a high price dishonest? A price is never dishonest in and of itself, just high or low relative to the market. If they tell you you're getting something that you don't actually get, that's dishonest.

But if I clip a toenail and put it on E-bay tomorrow and say "It's just a toenail but I want $6 billion" and somebody makes a bid and says "I know it's just a toenail, but I'm willing to go that high for it", and I sell it to him, it's a perfectly honest deal. It's not dishonest unless I send him a fingernail.
              You wouldnt.....Would you??

LOL!!! Brother this is a funny way to make a good point. I dont think its dishonesty, its greed..
              However, I thought the Custom shop label on the Custom was dishonest, when nothing about them was changed.
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Fender has been mentioned too... I think its sad they are trying to play keep up and now have a bunch of $2000-3000 models now too. But, this is normal to have some collector pieces.. Always been that way.. Growing up, I always wanted a custom shop guitar.. (mostly a jackson) So, I knew Id pay royally for that.. I expect that.

If gib's normal guitars are all $4000-5000, I shutter to think what a custom one would cost..
                oh well
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Call it greed if you will, but Gibson, just like every othercompany out there making gear (including Duncan, Fender, PRS, Hamer, et al) is out to make a profit. They don't make a product as a public service. They don't owe us anything more than what we pay for. They're not out to give us a warm and fuzzy feeling.

They're all out to make a buck. If Gibson is doing that without moving their production over seas, or selling to Fender like a lot of other makers, more power to them.
                  Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by KeeperOS View Post
                    Forgive me if I don't confuse "good business" with "honest business"...
                    I don't care for Gibson as a company either, but now you're talking out your ass. In what way are they dishonest? They charge a price and people choose to pay it. That's got nothing to do with honesty. I don't like the large price jumps either, I don't think they're worth those prices either, but apperantly other people do. Th price is right there, it might be a high price, but its there. There's nothing dishonest in that. We may not like it, but it's got nothing to do with being dishonest.

Comment

Call me paranoid / conspiracy theorist but I feel that there's a lot of money spent (and in various ways) from Gibson on making those older ones gain in value while at the same time, make every kid and his grandma believe that if it's a Gibson then it MUST be the best.

Someone mentioned Harley Davidson earlier. Same thing.

It's not as if it's illegal but at least IMHO it's unethical.
                      If they put half that money into making better guitars and only increase their value as is the norm then I'm betting we wouldn't be having this conversation.

In the end it's true what many say; "if you don't like it, don't buy it" or "vote with your wallet" but it's just that it pisses me to no end to see all those supposedly knowledgeable guys so ready to give Gibson a pardon for all those overpriced dogs they've put out over the years just because, at some point in time, every once in a while they would actually get it right for a change and put out a decent guitar...

BTW, don't even get me started on the "if it's not a Gibson then it can't possibly have the tone, it'll just be a nice guitar" mentality cause I really don't want to start a REAL flame war here...
                      Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                      I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                      Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                      Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Are Gibson's a good value compared to other guitars in the market? That is up to the buyer, and if Gibson was not selling guitars at current prices, then Gibson would have to adjust pricing.

We can debate the QC of guitar companies all day, but if the manufacture can sell it "as is", then they will.
                        -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
                        “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

It all really boils down to the most basic of economic principles. These are:

1. Supply and Demand. When you cannot supply enough product to satisfy the demand, you decrease demand by charging a higher price, until the point where you can just barely not supply it. The is usually the point of maximum return, assuming operating costs are similar in both scenarios (which they should be becasue you only changed the price).

2. Cost reduction to maximise profit: While it is honorable to churn out a top quality product for middle of the road cash, the additional value added by additional quality is lost on most buyers. So as a cost cutting measure you decrease quality to the point where complaints start rolling in but sales donīt noticably diminish.

(Side note: This is part of the reason that everyone started buying far east knockoffs with stolen technology vs the originals a few decades ago, because the difference in quality was lost on them, the function was essentially the same, and the price thereby became the main factor. This applies to more or less all consumer industries in what has become a "Tear off, use, ball up and throw away society")

3. Advertising and Merchandising to establish and retain brand recognition and sense of Value. Bottom line: the more often you see or hear it, the more it will stick in your head and the more value you will subliminally associate with the product. Or does anybody here not know what a Gibson is "traditionally supposed to be"? Exactly, the top of the line for over a century IIRC... And thatīs the part that sticks in your head, and the part that sells guitars for a few hundred $ more without adding anything to the quality. Ironically, itīs also a good part of what starts threads like this, because the impression arises that a company (IE an entity created to earn money) betrays its values (earning money) by earning money

While I may not be a fan of Gibsonīs current prices and what apparently seems to be their modus Operandi, I probably wouldnīt do it a bit differently if I were the guy whoīs job it is to make sure the company makes as much as possible
                          Last edited by Zerberus; 07-10-2008, 06:57 AM.
                          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Seriously, how can one company affect the prices of their USED product?

That price is set by the market, not my the manufacturer.

It's amazing how something that doesn't directly affect a person can get said person so worked up.
                            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                              Hereīs how itīs always worked...

Gibson sells to rich guy who wants to be a musician. After it collects dust, he sells to buy Harley.

Musician buys for half price from rich guy, and then makes music with high quality guitar.
                              Very good! Isn't Epiphone the big money maker for Gibson anyways? And with the lousy economy, Gibson sales will take a nose-dive. Gibson is still a big company because: 1) they came up with many of the innovative guitar designs in the 1950's, and 2) the "affordable" Epiphone line provides the majority of their cash flow. Without those things to lean on, they'd be just another little guitar company.
                              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Zerberus more or less covered me and even provided some useful insight. Thanks man.

As for the other question, in reality it's a lot more complicated than that but in theory, a very basic way would be to constantly decrease quality while at the same time increase price.
                                That will put the older ones in an advantage quality-wise, raising the demand for them and thus, their price.
                                Add to that certain "parrots" working for the company's sake spreading left and right (mis)information and/or even affecting prices by overpaying for sth and there you have it.

Trust me when I say that when you have the capital and connections there are many ways to rig the market to bring prices where you want them.

A scandal some 8 or so years ago we had with our local Stock Exchange where the government cabinet itself was involved in a (successful) attempt at buying re-election up to this day serves as a painful reminder to fools who lost their entire fortunes just by thinking the way you do...
                                Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                                I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                                Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                                Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Working...
                                X