This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gibson Last straw...

I've spent most of my life Hating Gibson. I've played guitar for 12-13 years now and the entire time, I've Hated Gibson with a passion. I don't give a F***, a guitar should not cost more than $1500-2000, and even thats almost too much. How much does it cost them to make a shape that they've made millions of times before? oh but this one comes in a honey burst, and the inlays are trapezoids, not blocks....oh well, thats definitely f***ing worth $1000 more right?! honestly, If I was paying $4000 for a guitar, that thing better have ALL aftermarket parts, sound better than anything, stay in tune forever. you know what, I don't think I'm gonna do that with a burstbucker, a set neck, and a loose bridge!

Personally, I hate almost every aspect of their guitar design ideals. Why hasn't ANYONE come up with a better bridge system than tuneomatics? like that was the 50's....just redesign it with locking saddles, maybe something that locks the strings in place? I'm not saying I want a floyd rose, I want full bodied tone, no questions asked, but I would also like my guitar to stay in tune. HOW ABOUT DOING ANYTHING DIFFERENT THAN WHAT YOU DID IN THE 60's?! 70's?! OH RIGHT THE ROBOT GUITAR!!! this piece of S*** takes longer to tune itself than ANY experienced guitarist can tune a regular guitar! oh, you can switch to almost any tuning known to man? Good on ya, you'll never be able to change tunings like that mid song, since it takes a full minute for it to switch to different tunings. They are not on the cutting edge of guitar design. I wouldn't be surprised to see a lab full of idiots trying to come up with a new color for the same style guitars!

most of the problem is the market: Guitarists themselves, they want what jimmy page played, what slash played, Zakk Wylde. I can fully admit, A Les Paul is an iconic symbol.
    BUT, its not the end all, be all of Guitars. I'm sick of Seeing Zakk Wylde on the cover of Guitar world with his Les Paul, and His Marshalls, EMGS, BOOMERS, WAH, EVERYTHING, for the past YEAR. How well made are they? whats so special about Gibson? Tell me that the Jackson Custom Shop (Not the new fender one, the old one, the good one), that NEAL MOSER wouldn't be able to create the exact same thing for you as an off the shelf Gibson Black beauty, or something EVEN BETTER for the SAME MONEY. Gibsons strategy is simple: Don't change a **** thing, we'll tell THEM what to like"

man, its not that hard to make a guitar, and past $2000, you're not paying for skilled labour and materials. Again, even $2000 is too much for a guitar. Think about it, all of the parts for a Les Paul, add up to how much?
    Burstbucker set: $300? (COME ON, a set of SEYMOUR DUNCANS are cheaper than that!)
    Tuneomatic set $50? (Its only now that they started knocking off tone pros, so maybe its costing them more to put set screws in the bridges?)
    Grover tuners: $75 (Which aren't even that good, how about you put locking tuners STOCK on your guitars since I'm paying $4000 for it?!)
    Bone Nut: $40 ( which is kinda the labour anyways?)
    Input jack, screws, Pots, Knobs, Pickup Rings, Pick guard: $50

$515 total in parts. is the rest of the labour and wood worth $1500, 2000, 2500 more?
    Yeah, I understand you have to make money as a business, but I just hate these people that go around playing gibson saying nothings better, nothing compares. Theres a lot better out there, for the same price or less!

And, after saying all this, I have to say:

My main guitar is a Gibson gothic Explorer, with Duncans, Tonepros, and Sperzels. I'd rather pay ~$1000 for a new Explorer with the same sound as your LP standard, studio, custom, supreme, classic. Gibson is a piece of History, and thats where they belong, in history.

Comment

Originally posted by millsart View Post
      Its so very weird, just because someone bought something in 1950 and its value went up like 1000% in 50 years DOES NOT mean that if you buy a guitar new in 2008 that its going to be worth millions (adj for inflation lol) in 2068.

Real collectors of course know this but it sure doesnt stop companies like Gibson from trying to sell the "investmen"

Think about it this way, I read that something like $100 worth of Microsoft when it came out is now worth $100,000 or something along those lines.

How ethical would it be for a broker to try to sell you on an "investment" in that stock today by using that story ?

This is what I wanted to say thru all this but couldnt formulate into words..Milsart got my thinking straight.. thanks

Old gibsons are worth a bunch cuz they were special. new, revolutionary and from what I hear, magical.
      With the quality issues today, today's gibsons are not going to be collectable. Except some of the one offs and special run pieces that are $10,000.
      I dont see someone in 100 years coveting my 2007 LP studio.

And JMoose.. Right. I understand inflation, I ve watched it for 41 yrs. But I dont see how to justify 200-300 increases every couple of months.

Warheart, thats what I was saying earlier.. I can get imports with the same "basic construction", tonepros, earvana nut, name brand aftermarket pickups and grover keys for $500.

Agiles come with graphite and bone nuts...
      Last edited by BloodRose; 07-10-2008, 04:02 PM.
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Re: Asymetrical Necks?

Originally posted by gOgIver View Post

Asymetrical necks.... This is Gibson speak for: Joe was drunk after lunch and miscut a batch of necks.. Let's declare them something special, and mark them up! Thanks Joe! Drinks on me tommorrow....
        Last edited by BloodRose; 07-10-2008, 04:03 PM.
        Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Gibson = Harley

That is why I bounght a $1000 MIA Fender

Or I would pay Schecter, ESP, Jackson a couple grand to build a CUSTOM guitar
          Originally posted by Vincent Vespa
          Dirtbag is only half full of dirt. There rest of him is full of awesome.
          I'm as happy as a Tornado in a trailer park!! \m/

Guitar: Fender American Special Mahogany HSS Strat
          Charvel 275DX (Single coil Custom JB, Lil'59 in neck)
          Fender Std Fat Strat MIM (Crazy8 in the bridge, Lil'59 in neck)
          Amp: Line6 Spider2-30 watt
          Lil 5 Watter from Hell AX84 Hi-Octane
          Effects: Boss SD-1 DIY TS9 on Steroids MOD

Comment

I suppose the new "standard" is where you go to get the thinner neck.

-Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
              (Side note: This is part of the reason that everyone started buying far east knockoffs with stolen technology vs the originals a few decades ago, because the difference in quality was lost on them, the function was essentially the same, and the price thereby became the main factor. This applies to more or less all consumer industries in what has become a "Tear off, use, ball up and throw away society")
              Stolen technology? How is it stolen when guitar companies go to other countries with blueprints and want things built, and are only there to take advantage of their cheaper labor costs? I'm confused. These American companies went there in the first place to make cheaper products, so it's not that quality was lost on them (as if somehow ethnically they don't get the concept), it's more like what they were asked to make by the company.

Quality isn't a function of where it's made necessarily, but more a function of cost. It's cheaper to have one quality inspector take a quick glance at a guitar and strum one chord (maybe, if you're lucky) than have two take one hour each to inspect the dickens out of each instrument.

So if Gibson goes overseas to have cheap instruments built, they went there with that main intent, so at that point they're also intentionally compromising on quality, which is a function more of cost of labor and precision than of the country itself, ethnically speaking.

This is why South Korea needs to have a company come forward that makes its own guitars and does a much better QA/QC job than Gibson: they'd blow them out of the water. Look at Schecter: guitars made in Korea, set up in the states. They are capable of quality, as is any other country, but it's more a function of price in my opinion. Case in point: buy a Tommy Kaira ZZ (afaik Japanese make). There are examples of both budget and luxury cars from Germany, Italy, and Japan, and I could bet easily that there would be one from South Korea if I bothered to look long enough. For example, the bus ride from Seoul airport to Gunsan, South Korea: Seoul as a city is very elegant: it puts most any major city I've driven through to shame.
              My Website || My Music
              Originally posted by US Declaration of Independence
              ... are endowed by their CREATOR with certain unalienable rights....
              Gear: Boss ME70, Ovation CC44, ESP EC-1000FM, Fender Twin Reverb, Fender Pro Junior, Fender Showmaster FMT HH

Comment

Twin, did you read the entire passage you quoted? it was , as stated, NOT guitar specific. And that a company ghostbuilding for somebody using that company´s ideas and technology, then turning around and producing an identical product which they sell under their own name for cheaper because the patents don´t apply in thir country is not stealing technology is something I have a hard time buying into. The most notable examples of this can be found in the automobile and consumer electronics industries and not in the guitar industry´... though there we also have Ibanez, ESP, Tokai and numerous other companies thet made their entire name building what were essentially forgeries of US products incl trademarked details even down to stylizing the company and model name to look like the original script.

Note that I am not passing judgement on this practice because Í´ve grown weary of that discussion, but it cannot be denied that it is what happened. This is the reason that so many "lawsuit" guitars from the old days exist, becasue the companies WERE sued over their forgeries, and in most cases either lost or backed off fast..
                Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by TwinReverb View Post
                  This is why South Korea needs to have a company come forward that makes its own guitars and does a much better QA/QC job than Gibson: they'd blow them out of the water. Look at Schecter: guitars made in Korea, set up in the states. They are capable of quality, as is any other country, but it's more a function of price in my opinion. Case in point: buy a Tommy Kaira ZZ (afaik Japanese make). There are examples of both budget and luxury cars from Germany, Italy, and Japan, and I could bet easily that there would be one from South Korea if I bothered to look long enough. For example, the bus ride from Seoul airport to Gunsan, South Korea: Seoul as a city is very elegant: it puts most any major city I've driven through to shame.
                  Erm, not really building Gibson-style guitars (though they have some in the past) but Swing is a Korean company who build their own guitars and IMO their quality is outstanding regardless of price!

Now if you wanna talk about Indonesia, then there's always Marlique Guitars that build the most amazing SG-ish guitars I've seen but you'd have to get past the fact that their using high quality, hand selected Indonesian wood with funny names that you haven't heard of.

And, if that's not enough for you, as per Schecter there's also Michael Kelly, same deal, same great (if not even better) quality.
                  Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                  I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                  Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                  Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

I don't know why y'all keep saying that LP's cost $4k. I can walk into pretty much any Guitar Satan in the country, and if I know how talk to the monkeys working there, I can walk out with a LP standard for under $2k.

So are you guys talking about their Custom pieces?
                    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                      Here is the final blow.. Im looking at a car magazine today and see a pic of an old Explorer (with bigsby, yuck)... The ad talks about how a guy bought this for his son for $247.50 (something like that) way back when and just auctioned it off for $611,000. And the whole thing is about how they are collectable and you could be half a million richer for buying a Gibson.. And to invest, call your local dealer..
                      NOWHERE does it discuss that they make music, or that they play good or anything.. You remember "only a Gibson is good enough"?? This says to me that they ONLY want the collector willing to dole out obscene money and prob doesnt care if it plays worth a crap or not.
                      This says exactly what many of us had suspected for a long time: that though they look like instruments and are sold where gear is sold, they are not gear to make music with.

I buy instruments and gear to make music, hence I have no interest in a Gibson.
                      "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
                      Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
                      guitar pic site
                      Original prog rock on soundcloud
                      Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
                      Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
                        I don't know why y'all keep saying that LP's cost $4k. I can walk into pretty much any Guitar Satan in the country, and if I know how talk to the monkeys working there, I can walk out with a LP standard for under $2k.

So are you guys talking about their Custom pieces?
                        Im talking in general. If I open a musician's fiend or ams or nearly any others, there is the: Studio, (now $1300) The standards ( 2200-2500), The GOW model (2200-2500) and then 2 pages of 3500-6000 guitars.
                        And many of the standards Ive picked up, feel very unfinished or shoddy.

Some are avail , but to get the fit and finish I EXPECT from a Gibson, I need a second mortgage..
                        Thats my point. I mean the BFG is affordable, but one of its "features" is being raw and unfinished. BFD..

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Maybe you've played some bad standards (I know I have), but I've also played some nice ones, and some nice studios.

Comment

In Finland, Gibson Les Paul STD costs just shy of $ 4000. Somehow, I can't imagine getting one.
                            Guitars:
                            http://my.opera.com/KK91/albums/slideshow/?album=969652

Comment

How much does a Am Std strat or McCarty go for in Finland?

Just curious.

Comment

This is my favorite guitar.

It's a Gibson.

It cost me $3,000.

It was worth every penny.

*Recipient of the 2006 Time Magazine "Man Of The Year" Award*
                                Originally posted by Slash2987
                                Oh c'mon man, quit being such a liberal and actually accept someone disagrees with you.
                                Originally posted by PVFan
                                I'm a good sex man.
                                Originally posted by Grumpy
                                I am just jug the merlot.

Comment

Working...
                                X