Neck joints and TOne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neck joints and TOne

So, i have a USA Jackson soloist and two import dinkys.....[dk-2 and a dxmg} all of the guitars hve jb's in the bridge and alder bodys , but my problem is that my soloist isn't as saturated sounding under distortion like the dinkys, . the pickup up hieght is almost exactly the same on all the guitars and i know that is not it.............would this be caused by the neck joint? i wouldn't think it would but? thanx!

Re: Neck joints and TOne

In theory, set-necks guitars are supposed to have better sustain characteristics than bolt-ons. It's been said that woods of the same variety can sound uniquely different, as each piece has it's own personal "identity".

Comment

I have/had the same experience. I have a USA and a Dinky. It almost seems the USA needs a little more under the hood than the Dinky - like a heavier car needs a bigger engine, is the example that comes to mind. I'm thinking it has something to do with the ebony fretboard, or that it's just more massive or something... I do not know the real answer.

I went from a JB to a Custom to a Distortion, and now I'm back to the JB with a different amp chip in my Line 6 (a tad higher gain I think). I tell you, I was about to throw in the towel on the USA for awhile because I couldn't find the sound. I think the new amp chip made a big difference. Also, I noticed some time back that with that incredibly low action, I was getting an almost imperceptible string buzz. I raised the action a hair and it seemed to make a big difference with no change to playability. Weird? Yes.

Now I'm real happy with it. Now, it's No. 1 in the stable with the JB
      Last edited by JammerMatt; 08-22-2004, 09:16 AM.
      Originally posted by Scott_F
      On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

I doubt the neck joint is the cause

Originally posted by casblah
        In theory, set-necks guitars are supposed to have better sustain characteristics than bolt-ons. It's been said that woods of the same variety can sound uniquely different, as each piece has it's own personal "identity".
        As Paul Reed Smith is fond of saying at clinics, "Everything effects everything". The neck joint definitely affects tone (and wood definitely varies, too)...but I doubt that's the issue here.

I'd be more inclined to suspect the pickup height, pickup position relative to the bridge, and electronics (espcially pots and wiring) as the likely culprits. Did you get the pots replaced or do the Dinkys have those nastly little mini-pots? For that matter, are the pots the same value in all three guitars?
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
        My Music

Comment

Re: I doubt the neck joint is the cause

Originally posted by aleclee
          I'd be more inclined to suspect the pickup height, pickup position relative to the bridge, and electronics (espcially pots and wiring) as the likely culprits.
          Good point. Are the pickups on all three guitars in relatively the same place? As we all know some guitars have the pickups closer together and others have them farther apart.
          • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
          • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
          • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
          • G&L Tribute Comanche
          • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
          • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
          • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Try the "raising action" thing. You can always lower it if it doesn't work.
            On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Yeah, I'll refer to Paul Reed Smith's creedo "Everything Effects Everything."

That's why I find suggesting pickups in the Pickup Section to be rather tedious and irrellevant. There's so many factors leading to a desired tone that a pickup is only a small part of it. I prefer bigger heels on set neck type guitars, because it does add rigidity to the neck, which makes strings ring clearer. Same with Ebony boards, headstock angle, bridge material, body, neck....everything. One thing I like about learning the differences between pickups is that I learn how to dial a guitar in, based on what tonal properties it already has. If there's one thing I've learned on the forum, it's that.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Joneser,

Does this go for "ears" too? I'm wondering if at some point our ears just begin to like the sound of something after it's been tweaked exhaustively.

Comment

Working...
                X