banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you think of Gibson's "MaGIC" guitar deal??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of Gibson's "MaGIC" guitar deal??

I was looking at the new digital guitar that Gibson has come up with on their website and was curious as to what everyone thought of them. I have NEVER played one let alone SEEN one and even if I did I can't say that I would be too excited by it. It sounds well.........not so guiatrish to me. I mean who wants to be able to EQ or Distort (or whatever) each string individually? How much of the original pickup sound is lost?? Is it more simple or complicated than good ol' standard guitar and IS IT REALLY WORTH THE MONEY. I would doubt it. Just curious to know your thoughts! The whole idea just kind of sounds blasphemous to guitardom to me. Ok I am done.
    Last edited by Creedis777; 08-24-2004, 01:06 AM.

Re: What do you think of Gibson's "MaGIC" guitar deal??

I think at a price of around $6k, it isn't really in the realm of possibility for most pro players. As far as not being 'guitarish', well, I got to give it to them for doing something interesting, if not different (hex fuzzes have been around for 35 years).
    Guitar synth isn't guitarish either, but as important as it is for people to keep recreating classic sounds, it is as important to push the idea of what a guitar is supposed to sound like.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

We have talked about this guitar over on the Les Paul Forum, many many times. The general consensus is that some say "ABSOLUTELY, HOW DO I GET ONE", while the majority seem to think that you will lose the whole guitar experience by playing a big computer chip!!!!!

Everybody wants to make a better mousetrap!!!!!!

"Mr. Spock.........Your guitar is uploaded , tuned, and ready to .... ummm.......play"

Personally, I think Gibson is trying to compete with the Parker synth like guitar market.............

Comment

LOL That is the funniest thing I have seen all we week!! Hooray for Spock!! My sentiments exactly. Good way to destroy guitars and the whole point of playing them, if you ask me. I feel it would simply make everyone sound way to alike. Besides GAS can be fun sometimes. Who wants to by just ONE guitar and ONE rig for it.........BORING! Especially at more than 6k once you include rig prices!

Comment

The irony would be if a company like Gibson, or Fender, successfully makes an all-in-one "virtual" guitar, thus killing the sales of the real ones they make.

It makes sense for a company like Line 6, that wasn't a guitar manufacturer to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by OUTLAW1969
            Personally, I think Gibson is trying to compete with the Parker synth like guitar market.............
            Parker hasn't made a synth guitar in years.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Creedis777
              I mean who wants to be able to EQ or Distort (or whatever) each string individually?
              I dunno but the concept is not new. IIRC, it was a feature in the original Roland guitar synths with the hex pickup.

How much of the original pickup sound is lost??
              All of it. I'm pretty sure that the digital output is taken off piezos in the bridge rather than from the magnetic pickups.

Is it more simple or complicated than good ol' standard guitar and IS IT REALLY WORTH THE MONEY.
              At this point it's no more complicated 'cause there's nothing to plug a MAGIC guitar into. Whether it's worth the money is a personal issue, much as whether any premium piece of music gear is "worth the money".
              Originally posted by LesStrat
              make sure that you own the gear, not vice versa.
              My Music

Comment

I'm with Mincer on this one. As an avid VG88 and GR30 user, as well as owning a Roland Ready Strat and an extra GK2A that I swap from guitar to guitar, I have to say: Many people underestimate what can be done with sort of technology. There is much stagnation in guitar building these days ...
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Very interesting. Pretty much the general response I figured I would get. I still stick with my original opinion......ummmmmmmm NOOOOOOOOOOOO GOOOOOOOD!

Comment

Working...
                  X