Pickup placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup placement

who thinks my pickup is not close enough to my bridge? cosmetically as well as tonally?
    i want to get a neck pickup, but i was thinking i'd have to move this one back a bit.

Re: Pickup placement

That's a beautiful guitar! Looks like some routing will have to be done if you're gonna put a neck pup in there ...

Zerbius or Gearjonser could tell you what's involved in moving the bridge pup, but if the guitar was voiced with the pickup in that location, why change it?
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Zerbius or Gearjonser could tell you what's involved in moving the bridge pup, but if the guitar was voiced with the pickup in that location, why change it?[/QUOTE]
      Thanks!
      could you define voiced though? this wasn't exactly a high end custom job here, more of a get some wood, make the guitar kinda deal. I had it made locally. so i don't know if the guy "voiced" it?

Comment

hmm, i dont think it's too far from the bridge, you might get a better bass responce in that position.... but PLEASE show the guitar some love and put in a neck pup.
        god that is a sweet looking guitar. i've never seen gold hardware fit better on a guitar than this. wow. you got a really nice axe there

Comment

Well, the closer the pup is to the brige, the brighter the tone will be ... On Charvel, Jackson, and Wayne guitars in particular, the bridge pup is in the place known as the 'sweet spot', the place with the most warmth, tone, and growl. Hope you find this helpful!

Comment

If you built that yourself - great job!
            (Nevermind . . . I see that someone else did. Still, nice guitar.)

I don't even like that style of guitar, and I think that looks sharp.

The only thing that strikes me is, given the design, you'ld be removing a lot of wood right in the area where that guitar needs it.

Just a thought.

Comment

To be honest with you war moving that bridge pickup would almost be more trouble than it is worth. You would have to do routing if you wanted to move it and then have to find a way to cover up the part of the whole where the pup used to be. Besides it's almost blasphemous (in my opinion) to mod a guitar THAT sexy anyway. Though if your gonna do it leave the bridge pup where it is. Simply for the reasons I mentioned above and because I don't think you would want to put a pickgaurd on it to cover up any holes from routing or cover up those pretty grain lines.

Comment

that guitar actually makes me want a RR ... sexy natural finish aaaargh! GAS

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo
                  If you built that yourself - great job!
                  (Nevermind . . . I see that someone else did. Still, nice guitar.)

I don't even like that style of guitar, and I think that looks sharp.

The only thing that strikes me is, given the design, you'ld be removing a lot of wood right in the area where that guitar needs it.

Just a thought.
                  wouldn't that only count if it was a set neck? its a bolt on, so would it really matter if the wood was routed there?

Thanks for the compliments!
                  That guitar is simply a jackson neck, EMG-81, hardware (all ebay), with the body wood (Mahogany) bought and shaped locally, and then a tung oil finish.
                  with the mahogany body and the rosewood fretboard, its a pretty warm sounding guitar. its due soon for a TB-4, and i think i'll try the 81 in the neck.
                  A

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                    Well, the closer the pup is to the brige, the brighter the tone will be ... On Charvel, Jackson, and Wayne guitars in particular, the bridge pup is in the place known as the 'sweet spot', the place with the most warmth, tone, and growl. Hope you find this helpful!
                    How's that different from normal bridge placement on other 25.5 scale guitars (e.g. fat strats)?
                    This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
                      god that is a sweet looking guitar. i've never seen gold hardware fit better on a guitar than this. wow. you got a really nice axe there
                      +1
                      Marshall JVM 410C
                      Mesa Boogie DC-3
                      ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                      1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                      2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                      2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                      1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                      2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                      1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

It shouldnt cause a problem, and your bridge pickup isnt in the way, as long as you dont plan on using the middle position TOO much. I forgot exactly how, but the nekc and bridge have sweet spots, and when those sweet spots get together, they sound ultra sweet, but you kinda loose some of the sweetness in the in between when you move the neck pickup out of the sweet spot. Laymans terms for ya there, bud. And welcome to the forum.
                        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                          It shouldnt cause a problem, and your bridge pickup isnt in the way, as long as you dont plan on using the middle position TOO much. I forgot exactly how, but the nekc and bridge have sweet spots, and when those sweet spots get together, they sound ultra sweet, but you kinda loose some of the sweetness in the in between when you move the neck pickup out of the sweet spot. Laymans terms for ya there, bud. And welcome to the forum.
                          Most times the word 'sweet' was used in one post!!

Comment

it was the only way I could think of explaining it.
                            This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                              it was the only way I could think of explaining it.

I almost got a toothache! Seriously though, how about a rail or the EMG SA's? That way you won't have to move the bridge pickup and still get good middle position tones.
                              Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Working...
                              X