Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Guitar Shoppin'

Hey Folks-

Someone over at the acousticguitar.com forum recommended I check out your forum... pretty sweet! I am a relatively new player (about 8 months) and currently own a Martin DM acoustic. I am starting to think about branching out and buying an electric. So I am in search of information, seeing as though I know relatively little about electrics. I've been trying to pay attention to the kind of electrics my fav. artists use and it seems like most of them are chewing up a hollow body...

So my first question is does anyone know of a site that would begin to explain some of the features I need to be aware of in electrics and amps?

Secondly, does anyone know of a good site that reviews or compares good electrics?

Thirdly, I would love some suggestions of what I should look out for or any specific guitars I should check out.

I guess I'd be willing to spend between $1000-$1300 for a guitar and amp... unless it really looks like I'd cut myself short if I didn't go for more. Of course, if I could spend less that would be a major bonus.

Thanks in advance for your replys and advice!
    TA
    Last edited by TS Anderson; 09-05-2004, 06:35 PM.

Re: Electric Guitar Shoppin'

Hello TS! And welcome to the Forum! You will get lots of advice, and most of the bros on this Forum are great.
    My FIRST QUESTION for you is: what do you you actually LIKE? Do you want something shaped like a Strat, or a Les Paul? Is weight a consideration? Do you like the look of wood, a nice paint job, or some crazy 80's-style graphic? ( )
    Let's start there ...
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Hey, Welcome to the forum!

Could you name some of the bands/guitarists that you play most alike? That would help us figure out an amp/guitar for you. Thanks.
      7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Sure...

I like a fairly wide range... anything from the old HouseMartins and Stone Roses... to Dave Matthews, Phish, Jerry Garcia and Jack Johnson. I'm not a fan of metal.

I like the look of wood.

I mentioned hollow body electrics because I've seen John Squire (Stone Roses) and Trey (Phish), etc. playing guitars that look something very similar to the kind of guitar my instructor has (which is a hollow body made by Heritage).

Thanks for the replies!!!!

Comment

TS, I would look in two areas if I were you: a chambered G&L or a Tele Thinline.
          The G&L is a hollowed out mahagony body; very sweet! The Tele is 1/2 hollow, 1/2 solid. Both have different tones and feel, but I think you will be happy. I would recommend at least having one humbucking pickup, at the bridge postion, also.

As for amps, what is your asperation? Bedroom practice, garage band, gonna tour? (Doubtful if you've only been playing 8 months, but ya never know!)

Comment

In terms of amps, we're talking about something I can throw in my home office and basement (an occassionally crank-up when no one is home!!!). My primary goal is to get something (qualitywise) that I won't later regret as I get better... while not paying for something that I don't need!

Out of curiosity... why do you rec. the 2 guitars you detailed? Just curious for your reasoning.

Thanks!

Comment

I recommend those guitars based off of your general tastes ... they have the look you want, play great, and (hopefully) the sound you're looking for.

As for amps, in order to keep it in your budget, you should definitely look into a combo amp. Peavey Classic, Crate V, Marshall tube, Rivera, and others all have great amps in the $1,000 or less range ...

Comment

the guitar question is tough. ive fallen in love with hollowbody tone recently, ibanez makes some quality stuff in the 2-500 range, a few may go over. for 2-500 u could also score a new or used crate v series amp. that leave u with anywhere from 3-900 to buy a set of duncans, and maybe an effects pedal or two, new tubes and/or speaker for the amp. the crate v series are awesome (i have one)., and i love those ibanez. that rig would be pretty killer, tonalicious, and awesome for a begginer-intermediate guitar player, plus u wont regret it later...
                Godin SDXT - 59-ClassicStack-JB
                Martin D-15 - Fishman Neo-D
                Boss BD-2 - MXR dynacomp - Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95 - Morley A/B/Y
                Crate VC-3112
                Brownsville NY J-Bass Copy
                Fender Bassman 60

Comment

What you are describing is a semi hollow body vrs a Hollow body. The guitars That TO suggested are really good guitars, but it would be helpful if you really gave us a liitle more insight as what kind of music you are interested in playing. Certain guitars will do a better job at certain music than others. If you are leaning towards bluse/ Jazz take a look at an Epiphone Shearton. This is a semi hollow guitar, the same catagory as the guitars TO recommended. very versatile and great tone. They can be had in the $600 range. As far as Amps go I would recommend getting an Amp that has a real good clean sound, you can always add a OD pedal later. If you are planning on practicing at a low volume a good amp with about 20 to 30 watts would be sufficient. Definatley buy a Tube Amp, they cost more, but offer much greater flexabilty in tone. Fender Amps are always a good choice. So if you can pick up a Shearton for $600, maybe a little more, a good tube Amp will run $500 and up. Take your time shop around and play as many guitars as you need to through as many Amps as you need to to find a combination that you are comfortable with.
                  "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                  "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

You've got some great advise so far!! My Cousin plays pro in NYC.
                    He just picked up a Samick RL-3 for around $450. He brought it to
                    me yesterday to put some Duncan's in it. A Pearly gates in the bridge
                    APH-I in the neck. I was very Impressed with the way the guitar
                    played and looked !! (Althought it's a photo lamante top) The Guitar
                    sounded amazing after the new PuPs where Installed. ( It came stock
                    w/t Duncan designs) But the PGs & APH-I offer a big improvement.
                    Just my 2 cents Here's a link to there site.
                    SAMICK GUITARS
                    http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

It really helps to know the styles you like/sound like.

If you can narrow down the "sound" you want, the folks here can help you find a good axe. It's really tough when you just start out, because you don't know what to look for. Your new forum brothers can help, though.
                      Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                      https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                      Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Finding that tone you like is a very difficult thing. Just ask these guys- many are still modding their guitars decades later to get "that" sound! There are also a LOT of guitars out there.

The best way to start is to go to a few guitar stores and pick up a few popular guitars that are very different- start with a Fender Stratocaster, a Gibson Les Paul, an Ibanez Artcore, an Epiphone Sheraton and a Fender Telecaster Thinline, and plug them all into the same amp. A Fender Hot Rod Deluxe is a good amp choice to use for comparison because if you have to go to several stores to find each of these guitars, you'll most likely find a Fender Hot Rod at each of them. Note that I am naming the brand as well- it sounds like you're willing to spend the money for a good instrument, so try the Fender over the Squire Strat, the Gibson over the Epi LLP (although the Sheraton is an awesome Epi). There is a definite difference.

You will hear very different tones out of each of these guitars, and this will help you figure out what you like and don't like. Once you find which of these guitars you prefer, you then know which other similar guitars to try out later. Most guitar shop guys are very knowledgable and willing to help (except for Guitar Center...), and if you tell them the type of guitar you like, they'll show you other guitars that are of similar style. Don't rush the guitar process though- you don't want to be stuck with something you're going to sell a few months later, losing $ in the process.
                        Carvin SC90 (Jazz neck, CC bridge)
                        Fender Aerodyne Telecaster (stock pups: tele bridge and p-90 neck)
                        Ampeg Reverberocket combo

http://emayhem.com/toptenidols
                        http://emayhem.com/the_fords
                        (note: these songs were not recorded using the gear mentioned above...)

Comment

so semi hollow guitars eh...like a 335 or gretsch style...?

if so to stay in your price range, you could try one of these...(used of course)

epiphone sheraton (great guitars for the $)

aria fa-80 (this baby is a little known gem...i played one a little while back...great guitar!)

haven't personally played the washburn hb35, but i've heard good things!

those should get you started, and like i said, used, your talking $500 bucks give or take...?!

amps...sounds like a 2x12 would be up your alley...then it just depends on whether you want tube or not...

for a tube amp in th $500 dollar range, you can't go wrong with a Peavey classic 50!

for a non tube amp modeler (analog), i love my tech 21 120!!!

find those...and play them alot...and unless you get an awesome deal, but them used if you can find them!
                          Last edited by Hoss; 08-26-2004, 07:59 AM.
                          Originally posted by jeremy
                          God hates bad guitar tone
                          GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                          AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                          EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                          Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Thanks for all of the replies... this is helping. On the posted pictures, why do the strings extend beyond the bridge on the 2nd guitar?

In terms of sound, I'm not looking for a treble heavy (I guess what I would call twangy sound) sound, as heard in heavy metal. I'm looking for something that will give some good mids and low tones (with out being too much on the jazz side). Does that help any?

Thanks again, folks.

T Anderson

Comment

If I may agree with TO (this seems to happen a lot), I'd recommend a 69 Tele Thinline. I'm actually looking to pick one up myself once I get my new amp and a Schecter 006. They're just amazing guitars, and the one I played had the best feeling neck I've ever played on. The stock pickups didnt sound too bad, but if you feel like investing another 100 or so and getting duncans, my god you'd be Golden.

+1 for the Peavey Classic30/50. Amazing amps at an amazing price. Looks awesome in tweed to.
                              7 FREE TRACKS OF ROCK - driftrocks.bandcamp.com

PARTY - pulsepartyband.com

In mother Russia, pedal overdrives you.

Comment

Working...
                              X