banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An amazing thing happened at the guitar store today...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An amazing thing happened at the guitar store today...

Over the past couple of days, I have been in the market for a new guitar. I was looking in the 5-8 hundred dollar range. I tried a Les Paul studio, Hamer double cut, Fender strats, and some diamond series Schecters. I had pretty much decided on the C1 blackjack, but wanted to try out the new Peavey signature exp first. The next day, I drove up to The Only Guitar Shop (free plug) and tried the Peavey. Very nice. While there I noticed a Brian Moore i8, priced at a measly $550. Basically their cost. Also very nice, but neither made a huge first impression. After putting both of them down and walking over to a couple or PRS soapbars, I noticed an pair of Ibanez SA-160's in the ash body model. After plugging one in, WOW!!! I was blown away by the feel sound and vibe of the guitar. Then, complete shock set in...$369. Unfortunately by that time I had been there for over an hour and had to be somewhere, so I didn't bring it home yet. It is however on hold. Has this type of thing ever happened to anyone. I almost feel guilty about spending so little on a guitar, but it felt better than guitars costing 3x as much. I've really begun to think that American made guitars are not worth the extra thousand dollars that an equivelant Korean made cost. What's everyone thoughts on that, and has any one played or own one of those SA-160's. Are they going to self destruct in a couple of months? It seems like too good of a guitar for what it costs. Say it aint so.

Re: An amazing thing happened at the guitar store today...

Happend to me about six weeks ago at Guitar Centre. I was in the market for a Epiphone les paul std "about 450.00$ " i saw a new Jackson Js 30 Randy Rhodes model for 299.00$. played them both back to back for two hours and found the cheap jackson was a better buy for the money. has an alder body and maple neck with a rose wood finger board "same woods used on the 500 plus dollar RR1 & RRT models so it was a good buy. As for the Ibanez SA 160 its a good guitar. I wouldnt put it on the same level as a Hamer but id say it could go head to head with any of the others you spoke about. Quality on the Ibanez guitars seems to be good "I have some freinds who swear by them and wont play anything else." so id say go for it if thats the guitar you want.

Comment

Just for clarifacation, the only US made guitars were some of the fenders, everythig else were Korean, including the Hamer; which by the way was kind of uncomfortable and bottom heavy; it kep wanting to slide off my lap. Sounded pretty good. Duncan designed, not the real deals, so pretty good.

Comment

Was it the Hamer sunburst?

Comment

By the way how much was the price difference between the Ibanez and your second choice.What features did the other choice have that the SA 160 did not. Finally were the Fenders made in Mexico or the U.S

Comment

The Ibanez was 369. The blackjack was 550. The Peavey was 489. Some of the Fenders were American, one was actually Korean (a showmaster). As for the hamer, it was a Korean double cut in a classic hertiage sunburst. I don't know too much about Hamers. Both the blackjack and the Brian Moore had Duncans. That is really the only real difference. But honestly, I A/B'd the Ibanez with their pups with the Moore with it's Duncan (JB i believe), and suprisingly enough, preferred the Ibanez. Go Figure.

Comment

Then i'd say buy the Ibanez sounds like you would be happier with it than any of the others you talked about. That was the same thing that hapend to me with the jackson & les paul

Comment

Ive played a lot of Korean guitars (thats really all they have in stock in most shops in Ireland) and they are great guitars but i would not buy one because of the labour issue in those countries..
                Marshall JVM 410C
                Mesa Boogie DC-3
                ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
                1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
                2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
                2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
                1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
                2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
                1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

If that ever happens to you, celebrate.

The Edge once bought a dobro for $150.
                  Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                  Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                  Originally posted by Sosomething
                  "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

The SA series Ibanez guitars have a good feel and sound for the money.
                    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
                    Roland Cube 60
                    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
                    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
                    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
                    Mogami Cables
                    Mooer Candy Toppers
                    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
                    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

hey man, if you like a guitar and it sounds and feels the way you want it to, then thats your guitar. price doesnt matter, nor does what anyone else thinks about it. if u like it, get it....you cant go wrong that way.
                      esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                      fender mim standard strat
                      peavey classic 30
                      johnson j-station
                      original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                      dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                      yamaha f-310p acoustic
                      taylor 410 acoustic
                      "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes
                        hey man, if you like a guitar and it sounds and feels the way you want it to, then thats your guitar. price doesnt matter, nor does what anyone else thinks about it. if u like it, get it....you cant go wrong that way.
                        But reliablility does...and that's one of the Q's he has for us.

Anyway, sorry, no experience with many Ibanez's. But that's a great find!

Comment

normally, from my experience anyway, ibanez's are pretty durrable....
                          esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                          fender mim standard strat
                          peavey classic 30
                          johnson j-station
                          original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                          dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                          yamaha f-310p acoustic
                          taylor 410 acoustic
                          "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

A few months ago, I was killing time, not looking to buy, but noticed a Washburn
                            HB-35 in flametop red hanging on the wall. Looked even nicer than a Gibson 335, but of course it must suck, right? Wrong. I was stunned by how well it played and looked.
                            It just boggled my mind that the price was $469, since it had a flame maple top and back, the neck was great, and it even felt like a $1400 guitar. Maybe I picked up a gem, but I was surprised. I didn't end up buying it, but my wheels were spinnin fast, especially knowing what a CC/Seth would sound like in it. I held back tho.
                            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

had a similar experience in a local store a month or so agao...played an aria fa80 (kinda a gretsch type thang) and fell in love...played and sounded awesome...and he said he'd sell it for like $400 bucks with a case...

i "need" to buy that!
                              Originally posted by jeremy
                              God hates bad guitar tone
                              GUITARS: Schecter Saturn, Takamine, Ibanez Mandolin
                              AMPS: Traynor YCV40WR/KT77s, VHT Special 6, Marshall AS50R
                              EFX: Line 6 G30, Fhusk CS-3, Emerson EM-Drive, Emerson Paramount,
                              Keisman Earlybird, EB VPJr, Empress Tape Delay, Hungry Robot Lil Gazer

Comment

Working...
                              X