Floyd Rose Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose Question

Having been solely a hardtail player for awhile,I'm curious about knowing what to stay away from when looking at guitars with Floyds.Is there a quality difference?I'm looking at an Ibanez RG550 with a floating trem.The Floyd on it is described as a low profile.Any feedback is always appreciated.

Thanks,
    ~GLENN

Re: Floyd Rose Question

I'm not that familiar with the floating trem on Ibanez guitars, but I own 2 ESP's with Floyd Roses. One has a FR licensed trem, and the other is the original. All I can tell you is to avoid the licensed trem as mine has always had problems. The high E would slip out of the bridge and it would come out of tune with heavy use of the trem. The high E slipped so often that it eventually left a gouge on the retaining block and I could not find replacement part for it. I bought another ESP with an FR original trem and that works just fine. No problems so far and it stays in tune. Plus you can get replacement part for the orig FR thru Stew Mac...
    If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
    DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
      In the next couple of weeks Zerberus will be posting a Floyd set-up tutorial with pictures.Watch for it,it'll anwer a ton of questions and supply a mountain of info into Floyd's,(waiting for it myself :hint-hint Tim )
      <<Holding Breath>> I can't wait!!
      Originally posted by Scott_F
      On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Avoid the licensed type that utilizes a screw in or push in type bar. The one's with the cuff attached to the bar, which screws onto the baseplate is the best, since it feels tighter, can be tensioned pefectly, and doesn't lose string energy.
        If you happen to have the screw in or pop in arms, you can buy the retrofit arm kit at almost any music store for $15. You simply pull the whole bridge off the guitar and remove the apparatus that holds the bar in, then install the new one, which comes with the "cuffed arm." Sure beats buying a whole new bridge!
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I agree with GJ. I have both types, they both seem to work well for me, but with the cuff-type, you can tighten down so the bar doesn't move, or you can go loosey goosey like an 80's metal god without it feeling jerky. I know that those are sucky and shallow reasons for one over the other... but I'm sucky and shallow, so there ya' go!!
          Originally posted by Scott_F
          On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

The Original Edge's on the RG550s aren't exactly lo-profile afaik. They look a tad more refined than the OFR, but still have the whale's tail (which is a good thing for me, I prefer having the whale's tail). Manufactured by Gotoh, I like these ones, I personally reckon they're one of the few licensed Floyds that can just about hold up to the originals. I prefer the feel of the Original's myself, but the Edge should do you just fine, especially since it has those locking studs (great idea, pity they do not fit on OFRs I've been told, and bigger pity that Ibanez has discontinued this idea to save 2c on each guitar with the Edge Pro trems that came out '03) They definitely beat the hell outta the licensed trems found on most budget Korean axes, and I find them to be much better than the craploads of Takeuchi manufactured el cheapo trems (Ibanez Lo-TRS, Jackson JT-580, etc)

If you REALLY want an OFR, it'll fit right into the trem cavity, but I've been told that the locking studs will not physically work with an OFR; can't remember what the problem was, but it was something to do with the dimensions of either the knife edge or the post itself. If this is true, you'll have to pull the posts and install OFR compatible ones. Visually, the OFR won't be half as pretty, as the wings on the trem are assymetrical, whereas the wings on the Edge are symetrical, so an OFR in an Edge rout would leave you with a nice hunk of rout showing beside the bass wing. Doesn't bother me a single bit on my RG470, which was routed for a Lo-TRaSh trem, as the OFR plays 100x better, but when the Edge Pro plays so nicely already, why make an issue out of it?!

The Edge's are known to have knife edge and trem post manufacturing quality slips somewhere around '00-'01, where both items were made too blunt (i believe) to work well. The knife edges can be filed (if you have the balls ) whereas the posts may need to be replaced if tuning is an issue. ibanezrules.com used to have proper posts that were stocked after they fixed the quality issues, but I'm not sure if they still have any leftover. This may or may not be an issue with the 550, depending on when it was produced, and how hard you use the trem.

Just my $.02 Can't wait for Zerb's Floyd setup tutorial
            Last edited by Jono_L; 08-26-2004, 11:28 PM.
            Ibanez RG 470 Hotrodded w/ OFR, SD FS/JB Jr(b)/DD, 90% of original hardware replaced
            Jim Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Hotrodded w/ TB, LED indicator, BC109s, will have sweep range selector and booster circuit
            Carl Martin Rock Drive
            ISP Decimator
            BOSS DD-3
            Laney LC-15R

My Rig

Comment

I know already

Iīll get it done as soon as i can find /make the time. My Charvel (the "photo-model" for the tutorial STILL has 9s, thatīs how little time I have at present
              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

yea i'm not a big fan of liscenced trems. I love the real thing they just never seem to give me a problem, and they don't look so cheaply made as my wolfgangs bridge (/cough)
                boreddddddddddd

Comment

Thanks for all of the input.I just nabbed a '91 RG550 for $225 with what seems to be an amazing FR (the pickups aren't to shabby either V7 neck S1 mid,and a V8 in the bridge)At any rate-this will serve my needs.

~GLENN

Comment

Working...
                  X