I'm curious about Ibanez guitars...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm curious about Ibanez guitars...

Hey everyone. I'm looking into getting my hands on a nice new guitar. I'm really starting to get into shred,PROG stuff. I think that stuff sounds really beautiful when you play it with like an acoustic backing track and what not. I'm also really into blues and starting to get into Jazz.
    I'm looking into a LP Studio, as well as Ibanezes. But I don't know all that much about them. I know Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Eric Johnson all use them, and JS and SV have their own signature models. I know their mainly used in the realms of metal and shred, but I'm also starting to see a lot of Jazz guitarists getting their hands on 7 strings, surprisingly.
    Basically my budget is 700-1,100. I'm looking for a guitar that can really do the shred/PROG thing, not to thin though, I'd like a nice fat and creamy sound. Which line of Ibanez should I look at and not? Don't be afraid to suggest highly priced ones. I really want to get my hands on a true, well built with quality instrument!
    Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
    Ibanez RG1570 Custom
    PRS McCarty STD
    '71 Gibson SG Custom
    Bogner Alchemist 2x12
    Vox AD15VT

Re: I'm curious about Ibanez guitars...

well, i love ibanez guitars that are well built (see my sig, below) ... they have had ups and downs over the years so choose carefully ... if you can find some of the nice 'custom made' S series guitars, i bet you would be very happy ... you might also really like some of the 'artist' series for the 'fat-n-creamy' thing ...

but at the upper end of your price range, i think you could get a custom made guitar to your exact specifications that would be sweet!! check out USA custom guitars - tommy will hook you up right!

also at that price point, you can find some outstanding used guitars if you keep your eyes peeled ... check out gbase.com and type in what you are interested in

good luck
    t4d
    gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

if you want to go ibanez, try to get a prestige one. or a paul gilbert sig. i dont like ibanez guitars, but i've heard good things about the prestige RG series. still have to try it myself. and i abhor them for sticking their own edge trems on HIGH and limited run series guitars.. there is something wrong when you see an ibanez chrome boy with an edge trem

Comment

Or dig up those older Roadstars with their Edge Floyd, those are very underrated guitars.

Comment

t4d has a guitar of the same line as mine, made about the same time. "custom made" prestige S-series. Probably some of the best guitars ever made by Ibanez. Go check out the Prestige line, then pick an instrument that fits your hands and body.

Comment

Well IMO my RS 530 is better built than my RG 570 (both Jap ibie's)

except the trem on the 530 is crap lol... it'll get a real floyd if i decide to hold on to it. Theres a pic of it in my sig (the red one)
            My clips

Originally posted by Rid
            How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

I have a Prestige RG3120, which is awesome, but I think my particular model is discontinued. I think you can get the same thing but with a neck-thru body or something though.

I really like the feel of the SA series. They're bodies aren't paper thin like the new S-series and they usually have 22-frets.
              Watch My Videos
              Photography
              www.myspace.com/thebillyhong
              "Anything worth living for is worth suffering for."

Comment

well if possible try to get ur hands on one of the old RG550 series. thoses are quality axes that ibanez made years back.
                u can probably get a used one for under $500
                1987 Ibanez RG550: Steve Special, SSL-2, Air Norton
                1999 Jackson PS6T-KE: Crazy 8
                Jackson KVX10: X2N
                1997 Epi Les Paul Slash: Virtual PAF, Hum From Hell
                Early 90's Yamaha RGZ621D: JB, Screamin' Demon
                http://fusionken.blogspot.com
                http://project-jeng.blogspot.com

Comment

I think I'm going to look into the Joe Satriani signatures, I love his tone!
                  Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
                  Ibanez RG1570 Custom
                  PRS McCarty STD
                  '71 Gibson SG Custom
                  Bogner Alchemist 2x12
                  Vox AD15VT

Comment

+1 for the S-series. Those, and the semi-hollow body jazz guitars are the only Ibanez axes I like. Then again, most of the solid bodies seem to have been made for the style music you like.

I do like their basses, though.

+1 as well for looking for used or custom axes within your price range. There are other really good guitars out there.
                    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                    https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

What about the RG550's and RG570's? How are those? Those are no longer in production right? Are those one Ibanez's more high end guitars?
                      Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
                      Ibanez RG1570 Custom
                      PRS McCarty STD
                      '71 Gibson SG Custom
                      Bogner Alchemist 2x12
                      Vox AD15VT

Comment

i think ibanez necks are too thin, the neck on my gax isn't close to the wizard neck profile and it still feels like there's something missing when so much neck isn't rubbing against my palm. whatever floats your boat though. One of my band mates just got an RG2570, with an opaque silvery finish. The prestige neck feels very nice, I was impressed, but the neck PU lacks tone as a consequence of the 24 frets.
                        2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by BluesGuyJ
                          But I don't know all that much about them. I know Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, and Eric Johnson all use them.
                          Eric Johnson does NOT use Ibanez guitars. He uses vintage fender Stratocasters and various vintage Gibson models including 335's and Les Pauls.

Comment

Damn, my bad. I was told Eric used Ibanez, sorry man
                            Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
                            Ibanez RG1570 Custom
                            PRS McCarty STD
                            '71 Gibson SG Custom
                            Bogner Alchemist 2x12
                            Vox AD15VT

Comment

Working...
                            X