Mainstream Guitar...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mainstream Guitar...

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's noticed this sh*t. Anyone realise that the mainstream media doesn't play complicated guitar playing when it comes to rock/metal. It's all simple 3-chord songs with simple progressions and patterns, no really interesting things on the radio like Zakk Wylde, Van Halen etc etc.

My theory is that pop culture is too simplified. I don't think the vast majority is smart enough to follow more technical guitars or music in general when it comes to this style. I'm not saying everyone here is stupid, I'm just saying what's played proves that.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
    • EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
    • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
    • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
    • G&L Tribute Comanche
    • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
    • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
    • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Re: Mainstream Guitar...

I agree, but sadly a lot of it has to do with the majority of people that listen to the radio. For example, think of what percentage of people 15-25 years old play guitar, my generous guess would be maybe 20-30%. Now, as for the rest of them (and a certain amount of that 20% probably) care more nowadays about angst-filled lyrics about pissing off your boss or being sad because your ex is boinking your best friend. Unfortunately, bands like Dream Theater or Mesuggah (really starting to dig their stuff) don't sing about that kind of stuff so the radios play the ones that do, and those of us that want to hear what we call good music have to use the CD player.
    After Osmosis | My Music | Instagram

Comment

Yep, yep. You know why, too? Conglomerate record companies that are all about marketing and just making a profit! Not fostering real musical talent. Yet again. LOOK AT ME I CAN PLAY IN DROP C!!!! I AM SOOOOO GUUUD!! GIVE ME RECORD DEAL NOW OR I PUMMEL YOU WITH MY ANGST FILLED LYRICS!!!!!

Comment

It is more the radio stations all being owned by Clear Channel...in tampa bay, *every* station is owned by them. You got your metal/christian/alternative/smooth jazz/r&b/country stations all in the same building. Its all marketing. If listening to a 3 minute pop song can sell a 1 minute used car ad, they will fit as many in as they can.
        Turn off the radio, and search out some indie music- some great playing out there.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I agree Check out the Los Lonely Brothers! I just saw them on Austin City Limits, tonight! WOW, their guiatrist could give Santanna a serious run for his money. He blazed around the finger bored like you wouldn't believe! Beautiful soulful playing! I was like this exactly!

Comment

Yeah, who cares about mainstream anything...it's not for everybody, just most people, and it's really, really, really, really easy to seperate from yourself.

-X
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

you know, just cause you dont wanna hear it, dont mean nobody else does. I myself, like listening to all the stuff on the radio, you never know when you're gonna pick something up.
              If you hate it that much, quit your *****ing and do something about it. Get famous and bring your metal or whatever into the mainstream. Folks like Brit, Christina, and Avril are getting paid big bucks to play what the mainstream wants to hear. Metal, and stuff like that isnt mainstream. Sure, it has a big following, but it's the minority. You wanna hear that music on your local station? Write a letter, not a rude one, but a good letter, that gives valid and strong points of why the genere should be played. Dont ***** about something if you're not going to do anything about it.
              And about the simplified lyrics and 3 chords, yeah, people like it simple, because you cant relax and think about things if your trying to figure out just what in the hell the lyrics mean. And alot of great rock music was made with simple lyrics and 3 chords, check out Bad Company's "Feel Like Makin' Love".
              This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

OK, I see what you're saying beandip, but do you really think meshuggah could get some heavy rotation on the radio (umm, not much chance...) so in that respect, I'm with the others, I don't like about 98% of what is on the radio, but I'm happy just to stick a cd on....
                "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

Ummm....Actually the first time I heard Meshuggah was on Rock 101 KLOL. I reckon it's just Texas, but metal, including EVH and ZW with Ozzy and BLS get played pretty frequently down here. But that's not the point, the point is, if you dont like it, change it.
                  This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by FretFire
                    I agree, but sadly a lot of it has to do with the majority of people that listen to the radio. For example, think of what percentage of people 15-25 years old play guitar, my generous guess would be maybe 20-30%. Now, as for the rest of them (and a certain amount of that 20% probably) care more nowadays about angst-filled lyrics about pissing off your boss or being sad because your ex is boinking your best friend. Unfortunately, bands like Dream Theater or Mesuggah (really starting to dig their stuff) don't sing about that kind of stuff so the radios play the ones that do, and those of us that want to hear what we call good music have to use the CD player.
                    Yeah, I love DT's lyrics. You can tell the thought-out-ness of them.
                    Their really deep and always have more than one meaning. I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                      you know, just cause you dont wanna hear it, dont mean nobody else does. I myself, like listening to all the stuff on the radio, you never know when you're gonna pick something up.
                      If you hate it that much, quit your *****ing and do something about it. Get famous and bring your metal or whatever into the mainstream. Folks like Brit, Christina, and Avril are getting paid big bucks to play what the mainstream wants to hear. Metal, and stuff like that isnt mainstream. Sure, it has a big following, but it's the minority. You wanna hear that music on your local station? Write a letter, not a rude one, but a good letter, that gives valid and strong points of why the genere should be played. Dont ***** about something if you're not going to do anything about it.
                      And about the simplified lyrics and 3 chords, yeah, people like it simple, because you cant relax and think about things if your trying to figure out just what in the hell the lyrics mean. And alot of great rock music was made with simple lyrics and 3 chords, check out Bad Company's "Feel Like Makin' Love".
                      May I just say Beandip no one's *****ing here. If anyone is it's you.

I just started this thread to talk about who was aware of this change in the mainstream music industry. It's not that metal bands and the like don't TRY to get famous, it's that people say "oh no this is too complicated" or "meh give me Blink 182" and they don't pay much attention anymore. I'm sure there are record companies who work toward getting bands like God Forbid and Black Label Society famous, but it's become apparent that it's very difficult to be famous unless you have simple emo music pumping out your ears.

One more thing about those radio stations? People write letters and make calls and all that but no one listens. Are there any radio stations dedicated to metal? I don't believe so. There should be, but no one listens to the metal fans anymore.
                      • G&L Tribute Comanche
                      • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4

Comment

If I came off as *****ing, I didnt mean to. I was saying, if you dont like it, change it. And you say no one listens. How do you know until you try. You cant give up before you even start. You gotta understand, in this day in age, people live fast paced lives, and if the music isnt something that they can just listen to and understand while thinkin about the rest of the things going on in their life, then they're going to change the channel. But, you dont know that there arnt any metal stations out there. You're running FM radio, that can only go so far before it craps out. You just might be in a crap part. Plus man, just listen to cds. And if no one wants to listen to the music, you're not gonna change them. They listen to what they like. You blasting Lamb of God in their face isnt going to make them have an epiphany.

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
                          If I came off as *****ing, I didnt mean to. I was saying, if you dont like it, change it. And you say no one listens. How do you know until you try. You cant give up before you even start. You gotta understand, in this day in age, people live fast paced lives, and if the music isnt something that they can just listen to and understand while thinkin about the rest of the things going on in their life, then they're going to change the channel. But, you dont know that there arnt any metal stations out there. You're running FM radio, that can only go so far before it craps out. You just might be in a crap part. Plus man, just listen to cds. And if no one wants to listen to the music, you're not gonna change them. They listen to what they like. You blasting Lamb of God in their face isnt going to make them have an epiphany.
                          I suppose you're right. You'd think Toronto and Kitchener Waterloo would have good stations... bahhhhh
                          • G&L Tribute Comanche

Comment

Also, you've got to understand, most of the things going on in the mainstream media are aimed squarley at the Lowest Common Denominator. That way, they can sell stuff to the largest amount of people. I'm lucky I live near the Mexican border. Their radio stations rock! On any given night, you can listen to contemprary rock, metal, jazz, blues, boleros, or Cuban troba on just one channel.

On the US side, you can also listen to NPR. for their jazz, fusion, country, folk, and blues shows, where they usually feature good music, not just well known music.

There are choices out there, you just have to go out and look a little bit.
                            Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Was mainstream music ever good? I'm sure more people listened to Donnie Osmond over Led Zepplin, Whitey Houston over Dead Kennedys, and Poison over Flotsam and Jetsam.
                              Datura flakes off from your lips, you've lost the swagger in your hips. Your eyes are turning from blue to grey.

Comment

Working...
                              X