The Fender Twin Reverb...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Fender Twin Reverb...

Hi guys...two days ago I've sold my Marshall VS-100 Amplifier and yesterday I've bought a 79' fender twin reverb...man it's awesome...this is my first all tube amplifier and I must say hell with the solid-states and hybrids!!!It was the best clean tone I've ever heard...this amp is marvellous...I've known that twin reverb was the best at clean sounds but I've never experienced it and I was amazed...It was a luck to find one in good condition so I didn't miss it
    I think it is 135 W RMS with 4 6L6GC power valves,2 12AT7,1 12AX7A and 3 7025 preamp valves...it has a silverface and has 2 huge JBL speakers and a push/pull master volume which I prefer using pulled...I'm so excited when playing it is really beautiful...It hasn't got any overdrive maybe a little bit when cracking up the preamp and lowering the power amp with master volume pulled out...well I think I'll get a good overdrive or distortion pedal to get it hot...what would you guys prefer...I'm thinking about Boss OD-3 or Boss Blues Driver,Boss DS-1...I'd like to get Sweet Child O'mine tone so which would be suitable or maybe another brand like Jim Dunlop???
    90' Heritage H-147 w/Schaller Golden 50's
    99' USA Fender Stratocaster
    96' Fender Montara Electric/Acoustic
    79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Re: The Fender Twin Reverb...

Originally posted by CsaRvoX
    Hi guys...two days ago I've sold my Marshall VS-100 Amplifier and yesterday I've bought a 79' fender twin reverb...man it's awesome...this is my first all tube amplifier and I must say hell with the solid-states and hybrids!!!It was the best clean tone I've ever heard...this amp is marvellous...I've known that twin reverb was the best at clean sounds but I've never experienced it and I was amazed...It was a luck to find one in good condition so I didn't miss it
    I think it is 135 W RMS with 4 6L6GC power valves,2 12AT7,1 12AX7A and 3 7025 preamp valves...it has a silverface and has 2 huge JBL speakers and a push/pull master volume which I prefer using pulled...I'm so excited when playing it is really beautiful...It hasn't got any overdrive maybe a little bit when cracking up the preamp and lowering the power amp with master volume pulled out...well I think I'll get a good overdrive or distortion pedal to get it hot...what would you guys prefer...I'm thinking about Boss OD-3 or Boss Blues Driver,Boss DS-1...I'd like to get Sweet Child O'mine tone so which would be suitable or maybe another brand like Jim Dunlop???
    Congrats to you..The Twin is a great amp. Plenty of power and clean headroom..Definately good candidates for some good overdrive/distortion pedals so you can get some distortion at low volume settings from your amp..

John
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

those are sweet amps, like you said, can't beat that tube tone. Nothin else like it....
      '01 Gibson Les Paul Standard (stock BB V's)
      Squier Fat Strat (stock/duckbucker/stock)
      '66 Fender Bassman
      Fender Champion 600
      Fender Stage 100

Comment

That's a great Amp !! I have the same 135 watt model. It must sound sweet w/t the
        JBLs in it. I had celestion's in mine ( didn't really cut it?) Now it has EV SRO's in it.
        Big difference. When I used to gig with it, I used a TS-9 or TS-5 or sometimes BOTH
        for all my OD needs. For a sweet Child o mine tone.... LP+APH-II PuP +Tube screamer+Twin should = A good Slash tone. Good luck w/t it.
        http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Originally posted by kmcguitars
          That's a great Amp !! I have the same 135 watt model. It must sound sweet w/t the
          JBLs in it. I had celestion's in mine ( didn't really cut it?) Now it has EV SRO's in it.
          Big difference. When I used to gig with it, I used a TS-9 or TS-5 or sometimes BOTH
          for all my OD needs. For a sweet Child o mine tone.... LP+APH-II PuP +Tube screamer+Twin should = A good Slash tone. Good luck w/t it.
          Great post and great info from KMC..

John
          Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Thanks for replies guys...right now I'm going to change my user specs from Marshall VS-100 to Fender Twin Reverb...KMC thanks for your advice...I doubt I could get a tubescreamer but does OD-3 also works well???and I'm wondering a few weeks ago I've read a post about a twin reverb that was recently bought...were you the one that post it?see you all pals...
            79' Fender Twin Reverb 135W w/JBL's + Line 6 DM-4 + Boss OD-1 Overdrive + MXR DynaComp + Boss CH-1 Super Chorus + Jim Dunlop Crybaby

Comment

I would say any good O.D. device with do the job. I perfer the tubescreamers Cuz' they
              don't color your tone like some others do, Just gain and boost.Stratdeluxer97 is the
              stomp box Guru around here. I think he has some sound clips on his website?? let your
              ears be the judge. You can get a TS-5 tubescreamer (soundtank) on ebay for cheap.
              around $35 to $45 bucks.

Comment

Another convert to tubes - fenders are always known for their clean headrom and sound. Well done and congratulations

As far as overdrive pedals forget about the boss pedals - only one which you may wish to consider is the good old SD-1. Try and get the Maxon OD-9 or even the Maxon 820 as these have the JRC 4558 chips and are as good as the new Ibanez tubescreamers and for less money. If you can get an original tubes screamer then go for it. You can get SD-1 modded to have the chip (Keeley or someone on this forum I think may do them?), but as usual try them out at you friendly (GC?) store or wherever you can go to.
                Normans Guitars

Comment

Congrats! I have a (90's?) Reissue blackface twin, and I love it! I know it's not the same as the originals, but to me, it's the perfect clean pallete to work and experiment with distortion pedals and effects!
                  For overdrive, I use a Vox Valve-tone. I hear it's a tubescreamer copy but I really dig it because it is very transparent, so it lets you hear your pick attack very well. And it's got plenty of mids (which I need!) that won't sounds harsh through a Twin, IMO.

Comment

well I want to ask something about the push/pull master volume...I usually use it with master volume pulled and it gives better valve tone but what's the main concept in it?Is it harmful to use pulled than using pushed?which one do you prefer most if your amp also has a push/pull master volume?

Comment

Fender tube cleans are AWESOME. crystal clear, great for lighter stuff (musical style)

Comment

Originally posted by CsaRvoX
                        well I want to ask something about the push/pull master volume...I usually use it with master volume pulled and it gives better valve tone but what's the main concept in it?Is it harmful to use pulled than using pushed?which one do you prefer most if your amp also has a push/pull master volume?
                        I never use the push/pull master in my twin. I find it to be a little harsh sounding. But w/o a O.D. pedal I guess it's better than nothing? I'm not
                        100% sure how it works? I think when you pull it out it introduce's more
                        voltage to the preamp section? I doubt Fender would design something
                        in their circuit that would harm the amp. But to my ears it does sound
                        like something is being harmed. HA HA!

Comment

I have a 2 twin reverbs, a 60's and an early 70's. 1. the mesa boogie v-twin and the twin are a pair made in heaven. Ask Jeremy, i think that is what he uses. I use the v-twin and a tube screamer, and I can conjure up 5 or more different distortion tones. 2. If you can have an amp expert put in a vibrato bypass, it makes the tone even better. They put in a different potentiometer that takes the vibrato out of the circuit when the dial is turned to 0. Great mod. Great luck in your tube amp odessey/adventure!
                          Electric: G&l Legacy cstm, 73 strat, HM strat, 76 tele deluxe, Tele-Sonic, James Trussart Rusty Steelcaster, Gibson: ES-295, LP Studio, 2001 R9, 2004 R8 cloud 9 , Charvel M#5 (1st guitar). rickenbacker 400? bass, Acoustic: martin d-15, old epiphone flattop, 50's gibson flattop, flatiron mandolin, harmony electric mandolin
                          gibson, marshall, fender, magnatone, THD amps
                          SD pickups: Jb,CC, Sethlover, '59, Pearly Gates, JB jr, lil 59, hot & cool rails. tele antiquity. Strat antiquity II

Comment

Working...
                          X