To Good To Be True?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Good To Be True?

Im looking for new tubes and i come across this. Do you think its worth a try?
    Down at the edge, close by a river.
    Close to the edge, round by the corner.
    Close to the end, down by the corner.
    Down at the edge, round by the river.

Re: To Good To Be True?

i haven't tried them so i can't really comment, but i think there are some people here that can. so consider this a bump
    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

whats the difference between an el84 and an el34

Comment

EL84 is going to be brighter and more compressed than a 34. I had the Yellow Jackets in my Bassman for a while and they are very cool. They did make my amp break up faster and get more compressed, but they were still loud as heck. Supposedly they brought my amp down to 20watts Class A (originally 65watts). I like the tones, but I feel that they compromised my clean tones a bit too much with my amp. Put them in a Twin though, and you should have a LOT of fun.
        Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

Well I am thinking of putting 2 in a sixty watt marshall. How would my amp sound different? Do you think it would have better cleans a crunchier lead channell? Or what should i expect?

Comment

Originally posted by yes-fan
            Well I am thinking of putting 2 in a sixty watt marshall. How would my amp sound different? Do you think it would have better cleans a crunchier lead channell? Or what should i expect?
            Well, the clean sound will not be as loud since you will have less power. Class A operation does have less of certain types of distortion, so the clean, at its new lower power, might be cleaner. Or it might not if you need the higher power you no longer have. If you cannot get the overdrive you want because your amp has too much power, this can reduce the power.

I am puzzled by something; The claim is that you use a pair of El84s and run them class A operation; then you get 20 watts in an amplifier that originally used four tubes and got 100 watts. A pair of El 84s cannot put out 20 watts in class A. Either I am misreading something on that page, or something is wrong.

Comment

Working...
            X