Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JCM900 SL-X questions

Hey guys,

Nobody responded to my previous thread anymore and I really want these questions answered, so please don't hate me for it .

I've been very excited about getting the SL-X, but before I do could you please help me with these topics:

One of the SL-X'es I've found has two 5881 output tubes, I'm thinking about getting EL34s to replace these if I don't like 'em. In case I don't, what brand would you recommend me for my musical styles (check below)

-What cab would be suitable for this amp?
    -Can this thing really do shred, Speed Metal, and modern high gain sounds?
    - read it could turn quite fuzzy and I totally hate that, so is that true?

My influences: Megadeth, Dokken, George Lynch, Marty Friedman, Reb Beach, Zakk Wylde, Al DiMeola, Chris Poland etc.

Also, the DSL100 is like 200 bucks more, so is that 200 bucks really worth the clean channel? Thanks you guys!
    Jackson USA '98 Custom Shop KE2 w/ Duncan TB-4 JB(b) & Jazz(n)
    Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)
    Fender '70 Stratocaster w/ stock pick ups

VHT Ultralead plugged into a
    Marshall 2x12 Vintage
    Bogner Shiva oversized 1x12 cab (Celestion Classic Lead 80 loaded)

(80's Gibson Dirty Finger pick ups (b&n) on the side)

Re: JCM900 SL-X questions

I have a 900 50Watt combo. Mine is tubed with EL34's, I have Sovtek tubes in it and I am pleased with the way it sounds. It is also equipped with 2 12" 75 watt celestions. I am more of a Blues/rock type of player, so I can't comment on weather you will be able to shred with this, but my guess is yes. I have the gain set at about 5 and it gives me what I need. There is a lot more gain available, i jiuyst don't need it. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being the best I would score this Amp a 7. What I do not like about it is the Effects loop. Oter than the Loop I am pretty happy with the AMp. From what I have heard is the Amercian 900 were equipped with El34's. and the Eropean markets were shipped with 5881's. If you have found one with El34's they are probably not original.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Thanks bludave!

I think I actually read the oposite thing about the European ones being EL34. Did you say you have the combo, I never knew there was any or did you type that by mistake (I have that kinda thing too sometimes). Anyway if you do have the head, what cabinet are you using it with? What is it you don't like about the Effects loop? And what about the fuzz thing?

Thanks again
      Gibson '87 Flying V Designer w/ Duncan Screamin' Demon (n) & Bill Lawrence L500XL (b)

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

I would say go with the dsl100 its got a really good clean channel and is really versatile and they come with el34s so you wouldnt have to change the 5881s

Comment

I'm not sure you can switch tubes on those. I may be wrong on that, tho. I'd talk to an authorized Marshall repair person.

JCM 900 SLX's were intended for the style of music you're describing, which is a highgain Marshall tone. The guys who describe it as "buzzy or fuzzy" are usually vintage Marshall non mastervolume fans, who like to feel important by bashing amps with a preamp gain circuit. For the kind of music you'e describing, I'd stick with a Marshall 1960AV cab (Vin 30), or buy a regular, cheaper one with G-75's and swap the top two with Vintage 30's, when you can afford to do so. Personally, I love cabs with both those speakers. My Jubilee cabs have been setup that way and kick ass.

On top of all this, I'd still say that you may be better off with a DSL 50, 100, or Jubilee
          2550 or 2555.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Thanks a lot guys, so I guess I should get the DSL instead huh? Also Gearjoneser, I heard a DSL100 top can even sound good at bedroom volumes, is that true? And is the DSL head more mid-high-or-low ranged? It might help with the cab selecting

Thanks

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

Originally posted by Neeradj
              Thanks a lot guys, so I guess I should get the DSL instead huh? Also Gearjoneser, I heard a DSL100 top can even sound good at bedroom volumes, is that true? And is the DSL head more mid-high-or-low ranged? It might help with the cab selecting

Thanks
              Yes, the DSL 100 sounds great at low volumes. IIRC, my DSL had more upper-mids than lower-mids. Greenbacks, G12H's, and V30's would be my choice for speakers with that amp. I had a 4x12 loaded with Greenbacks when I had my DSL, and it sounded great.

Comment

Really? Is it just some kinda fake stupid rumor Greenbacks mud up with hi-gain amps? BTW, what's so special about Greenbacks? Never tried 'em but I'm really curious

Thanks!

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

I tried a dsl100 with greenbacks and it could get really heavy and not muddy, it sounded great

Comment

I used to not be a fan of Marshall Amps, but I played a JCM900 through a Marshall 1960AX cab yesterday and was amazed at the tone I was getting from that rig.
                    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
                    Roland Cube 60
                    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
                    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
                    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
                    Mogami Cables
                    Mooer Candy Toppers
                    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
                    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

I think the reason DSL 50's are so popular is because the preamp gain can sound a little buzzy if the power tubes aren't able to kick in and add some power tube growl, which is the problem with the 100's...they've got to be really loud before they start to warm up and sound good.
                      Don't underestimate the volume a 50W Marshall puts out. It seems just as loud as the DSL100, only they sound better at most normal band volumes, and definitely sound better at practice volumes. As for gain, the DSL pretty much nails the Zakk Wylde tone, and unless you're playing places that are the same size Zakk plays, 100 watts is just overkill. I've seen the DSL's as cheap as $650. I had one for a few months, sitting next to a Jubilee 50W halfstack. The Jubilee's gain channel was just a tad bit nicer sounding, but by a small margin. The DSL was far more versatile, and it's clean channel was richer and bluesier than the Jubilee. The Jubilee's clean channel is more Voxlike and the DSL's clean channel is more JTM 45 like. DSL's already come with Svetlana power tubes, so if you experiment with really good pre tubes, you'll only improve it's sound. When used, it's a great bang for buck amp.
                      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I'll agree that the 50 watter DSL is all you really need, but you can't really beat the bass response of the 100 watter, if that's what you're after. It's insane...I've never seen dust come out of the ceiling like that!

Comment

Yeah I totally want that DSL50, but they're sooo hard to find for a good price here. 50W is plenty for my taste! Another factor is that de DSL100 is like a 100 bucks more. I've seen plenty of special deals on the DSL100, but I've never seen special deals on de DSL50

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

Ok dudes, I got kinda curious and went to the store myself. I've tried the DSL50 with a Fender Showmaster. I think they gave me a crappy cab to play on though, because the DSL50 didn't always sound that good. First thing I tried was the Ultra Gain with the tone shift and deep switch engaged and this thing sounded like a waken up 20 foot dragon, amazing! The riffs were fat, though the palm mutes were thin. The clean ups were great, yet I found myself with the overdriven solid state tone quite often and I didn't really like that. I tried it at volume levels from 4-6. The guitar was crappy and I think the gave me a MG cab, so maybe that contributed. But maybe this just wasn't my thing. I think they're the only store with the DSL50 in the city, and that guy was very agitated so I didn't get the chance to try another cab. Bummer!

Marshall 2x12 Vintage

Comment

Working...
                            X