Guitar Port, POD or else?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Port, POD or else?

I'm looking for a good digital device for recording only (no PA or AMP use).

I hear great things about the guitar port. It's a lot less expensive than the Pod XT or 2. Is it equally as good?

Any suggestions about such a device. My budget is tight, so solutions over 500$ are not likely to happen

Thanks in advance for your tips!

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
    Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Re: Guitar Port, POD or else?

The guitar port is really easy to use, since all the stuffs on the screen right infront of you.

however it doesnt have the amount of amp models teh other two have.

if you can stretch to it, an XT can be used the same way as teh guitar port (with the stuff on your pc screen)

all my clips have been the guitar port, find wayneguitarswebdude or whatever chad dyers handle is on this board and he has an XT

if you can make it deffinately get the XT imo.

but theres nothing wrong with a guitar port or pod, guitar port though it has less amp models is probably more flexable with mic modeling, and easily editable (is that even a word?) effects, they show up on screen just like a real stompbox (again this feature is available on the XT)
    My clips

Originally posted by Rid
    How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

what about the Vox tonelab? I tried one out and liked it alot. I would have bought it if i could have justified the uses to cash ratio. If i end up in an apartment i know i will go with the tonelab but atm i can play loud.
      Last edited by Chi3f; 08-30-2004, 04:40 PM.
      boreddddddddddd

Comment

Check out the Berhinger V-Amp2. I bought one used off Ebay a couple of months ago and was very skeptical at first because of Berhingers reputation of making low quality items. The V-Amp is bascially a poor mans POD a table top device that can be plugged directly into a sound board or recording device as well as an amp (like I use it).

I plugged in and was just blown away by all the cool things this little thing can do! It does basically eveything the POD can do but for $200 less (PODxt).
        Plus it comes with a footswitch, AC adapter and case. Like the POD it does have a bit of a learning curve so make sure you read the manual. Its a bit on the flimsy side because its all plastic but as long as it does the job that's all that matters.

I believe you pick one up for around $135.00 at GC or some the on-line sites.
        Gear: 2002 Fender Amer. Strat W/TX Specials
        1999 Fender MIM Strat...
        2004 Music Man Sub 1

'94 Fender Deluxe Reverb.
        Line 6 Spider II 1x12
        Boss ME-50
        Boss DD-5

Comment

Guitar Port made me a believer. It's a good device. If you don't mind spending a few hundred, go with the POD. When I decided to go this route I didn't want to spend that much so I went cheap - no regrets since the GP meets my needs. If you want to record, go with the POD. My goal was to have a great sounding headphone amp set up and access to the Line 6 portal for lessons, TAB, etc.

Comment

Davey just got a Guitar Port, too, and he's loving it! I still do things the old fashioned way ... (grumble, grumble)
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Thanks a lot guys... I'll check into all that.

Well, I hear you TO, I'm not really sold to digital, but I must admit that some people on this board had me scratch my head with their tone. The GP is impressive.

Digital is perfect for rhythm and great airy clean tone, but I still think that for lead work, if you want great tone, an amp (tube or good analog) and a mic is still the way to go.

My search is not over...

... and I sold my freakin' ESP Hybrid yesterday!

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
              Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Comment

I would go with a POD 2.0. It is nice to practice with headphones too. Try for a used one on ebay. I have not used the XT. It will be a little more pricey though. The guitar port to me seems a little cheap, but I have not used it, so it is not my place to judge. I would go with the 2.0 and if you find you like it, then jump to the xt. I love my 2.0, and haven't even bothered thinking about getting the XT. 2.0 has everything I need. I have thought about getting the Pro rack setup, but I really don't need it with my current rig. We'll see though. I hoped this helped a little.
                Egnater M4 (2) Recto, Blackface, Plexi
                VHT 2502
                (2) Randal XLT 4X12
                (2) Jackson SL2H USA Soloist (SH-1n, TB-6b)
                Jackson SL1 (Classic Stack, Classic Stack, TB-6b)
                Keeley TS-9 Mod Plus & TS-9 Baked Mod
                http://www.robertkeeley.com
                Line 6 Echo Pro and Mod Pro
                Chandler Digital Echo Delay

Comment

You might also check out the Boss GT-6. I have one and really like it. Sounds pretty good, IMO, and is built like a tank.

Comment

dont get a behringer vamp.. their tone is very inferior to the line6 stuff. even the guy at the store told me not to opt for the vamp2 except if i want the rack version. and they're an official behringer distributor

anyway, if you got the money, go for the XT. if not and if you'll be only using the thing for recordning (like i do) you pretty much cannot get a better thing for the money than the guitar port. check out final sacrifice on my soundclick page and hear for yourself, compare it to the dropD riff sound vise

you plug it into the computer and you can record 'silently' or use it's L-R output to put it on some speakers or a mix board to listen to and record with the headphones output. either way the tone doesnt suffer

Comment

Working...
                    X