Mahogany Strats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mahogany Strats?

Anyone ever played an all Mahogany strat?
    Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Re: Mahogany Strats?

Originally posted by 9finger View Post
    Anyone ever played an all Mahogany strat?
    ill IM ganzo to tell you about his... only person i know to have one
    sigpic
    Warmoth Split Jazzmaster (Zhangbucker Crushbucker UOA5 splat, Cherrick tapped)
    Dunlop Crybaby
    MXR Custom Comp
    GFS Twin Overdrive
    Boss BD-2 Bluesdriver
    Blackstar HT-DISTX
    Seymour Duncan 84-40 (Weber Grey Wolf Light Dope)

Comment

XSSIVE has made more than one all Mahogany super strats of what i know.
      And with all Maple necks which is a weird combination. maybe he can give some insight.

I had made one once from USACG parts. The Mahogany was real darn heavy though. i had an all maple neck as well. To my ears it had a bit too much mids, but other than that it made a good super strat. kinda makes me wonder why i dont try and make another one with a maple cap this time and using a lighter body. Mahogany is just a great tonewood to me though. It is thick and real musical to my ears.

Did really dig the single coils in it though.

Now you got me itching to try a nice Mahogany body with maple cap and mahogany neck/rosewood board combo. Hmmmmm......
      Ibanez Roadstar II
      EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
      VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

Originally posted by tone? View Post
        XSSIVE has made more than one all Mahogany super strats of what i know.
        And with all Maple necks which is a weird combination. maybe he can give some insight.

I had made one once from USACG parts. The Mahogany was real darn heavy though. i had an all maple neck as well. To my ears it had a bit too much mids, but other than that it made a good super strat. kinda makes me wonder why i dont try and make another one with a maple cap this time and using a lighter body. Mahogany is just a great tonewood to me though. It is thick and real musical to my ears.

Did really dig the single coils in it though.

Now you got me itching to try a nice Mahogany body with maple cap and mahogany neck/rosewood board combo. Hmmmmm......
        That's kind of what I was thinking. I was thinking of a regular ol 3 single coil strat only in all mahogany. I'm hesitant though cuz I've never heard or played anything like that.

On a side note though. It might be cool to do a short scale type strat w/ some Brian Mayish kind of singles and wiring w/ that wood combo.
        Gear: More junk than I know what to do with

Comment

I assembled this one. It didnt sound a whole lot different than a regular Strat. Maybe darker. Right now Im putting
          some surfer style vintage pickups and an all rosewood neck to try and see if i can get it to be extra warm with some sparkle from the pickups.

[IMG] [/IMG]
          Last edited by jerryjg; 10-04-2008, 04:11 AM.

Comment

try it with a quartersawn Mahogany neck, like suhr says/
            Ibanez Roadstar II
            EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
            VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

As NoOnesFang 13 said, I do have a mahogany stratocaster, and here's what I've observed (Having owned both a normal american deluxe HSS stratocaster and the mahogany variant).

Mahogany strats are heavier on the whole than their alder / ash cousins, and they are more porous wood-wise. The result is that the body tends to emphasize a bit more of the low-end present and hide the higher-end, and it makes the mids shine a lot more. My strat tends to put most of its emphasis into the low to mid range department, which means that the chunk of wood mine came from was fairly porous. Surprisingly, for a 10+ lb guitar, it isn't terribly heavy feeling when worn for gigs and jams, it just means that you may have to readjust your balance to prevent the headstock from going sky-high.

As far as the typical sound you'd get, it really depends on the pickups, however a good BASIC rule to follow would be "if it works well in a gibson or a jackson, odds are it will work well in a mahogany strat". (Assuming you're putting in a humbucker) With a maple neck, and mahogany body, the sound will be somewhere between traditional strat and an SG / Les Paul depending on how much of the mass is in the mahogany, and how much is in the maple neck. My first mahogany HSS strat ended up with a '59 and 2 SSL-1s in it and the sound for the single coils was "strat, with more low-end creaminess by about 10 to 15%" and the '59 should be standard equipment in all HSS strats regardless of wood. It fattens up the strat sound into SG territory while allowing the characteristics of the strat to remain. Think SG 61RI with a bit less low-end due to the maple neck and you have my idea.

We can only give our subjective views on what we have done with mahogany stratocasters and we'd need to know a bit more on your tastes before we can really see what you'd need in it to make your ideal stratocaster with pickups. Seymour's site has the tone wizard interactive selector that can be an immense help in giving a basic idea of what pickups work for what genre, and it has a provision for "mahogany strat". I for one think that a great starting point for 3 single coils would be to purchase the california set (3 calibrated SSL-1s) and work from there. Just remember that mahogany emphasizes the low-mids a bit, and it wouldn't hurt to do research on what type of neck you wish to use, as the neck also influences your tone. (Mahogany neck + Mahogany body = a good amount of the "gibson recipe").

Well that's my .02 on this, if you have further inquiries, feel free to ask.

PS: Jerry, that strat neck is HOT! make the whole guitar heritage cherry and you have something going.
              <--- these guys fight, so we can enjoy large tracts of land

Comment

I've been thinking of building a "Gibso" Strat project with Stop Bar, ToM, and Humbuckers for some time. I've been in a quandry as to go all the way and make the body and possibly the neck mahoganny to go that extra step. At the moment I've discarded the idea of a mahoganny neck, and am more attracted to the figuring in other woods for the body.

I may be building a similar project for a friend who wants a solid paint job so will probably try mahoganny on his one, but that's some way off.

Essentially the idea is to build a strat in shape only.

I'm just not keen on the flexibility of mahoganny in necks. This is the major issue for me.
                "Well, if I knew I probably had to play this song for the rest of my life, I probably would have written something else! ...But it's too late you're stuck with this one" Joe Walsh on 'Rocky Mountain Way'
                Churchill - "Democracy is the worst form of Government. Except for all the others!"

Comment

I've played a Suhr all mahogany standard. It sounds like you think it would sound like.
                  Speak through your fingers

Comment

By "all mahogany", you mean body & neck, right? Coz that's gonna be way different than a maple neck.
                    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Im building one with a local beginning luthier here in my city. he will "endorse" me.
                      so, it will be a big headstock, all mahogany neck , 22 frets jumbo, "Ipe" fretboard, and all mahogany body with a wooden Pickguard.
                      q
                      q
                      ill show pictures as soon as the project starts!
                      Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
                      Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
                      Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
                      Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
                      Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
                      Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
                      Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                      Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

Howdy,

On a related note, I've got a USACG flamed Mahogany Tele. It's got a Maple neck, DiMarzio Twang Kings, vintage bridge..and tone. I think the Brass saddles and Mahogany body filter out some of the shrill highs associated with Teles. The tone is a bit darker than my Alder Tele, but the slightly overdriven raunch through my old Vibro Champ is puuure "Get yer Ya-Ya's Out"! It's good for Bakersfield duties through my Twin, as well. Think "clean". It's forte' seems to be raunch, IMHO.
                        In short, my flamed Mahogany Tele (finished with 6 coats of Minwax "tung oil") is sort of like good Sweet & Sour Chinese food: It has contrasting qualities that seem to be pleasing when combined. Of course, she weighs in at 9 lbs, though.

Eggman

Comment

Fender actually built some mahogony Strats back in about 63 I think. I will have to find that passage in one of the Fender books. The story was that they just used up some wood they had for another project to build a bunch of strats that wound up with sunburst and solid color finishes. They were not sold or promoted as mahogany bodied strats, just regular old Strats.
                          Information from "The Stratocaster chronicles" page 142.
                          JMPRO

Comment

I've built three Fender style guitars with mahogony bodies in the last few years. One was a Tele shape and two superstrats.

With the Tele I already had an ebony fret board maple neck and the guitar was really built to utilize that neck. For some reason this guitar just really worked. It has a maple cap 1/4" thick and it's H/H. I love it for playing Led Zep covers and the like. That is the type of sound it gets. The guitar is a looker too. Everybody that plays it likes it. This lead to the second mahogony guitar I built.

I built this one for sombody that liked the Tele but wanted a super strat. As different in concept from the H/H tele this guitar turned out good. It was a one peice mahogony body with a Wilk trem, and the neck was maple with a slab rosewood board. It sounds very lively and it's fairly bright, with miles of sustain. The bridge pickup ended up being a Pearly Gates. He wanted Evos but it was too cutting. The guitar isn't particulary heavy at all, about the same as a alder strat.

With those two guitars working so well, I built another mahogony super strat, but with a hard tail bridge this time. This one just had something about it that never meshed for me. It was just a little too smooth and perhaps a little dull sounding. It also turned out heavier than the other two.

So I guess it depends on the indvidual guitar combonation and the exact peice of wood.
                            Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 10-06-2008, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                              I built another mahogony super strat, but with a hard tail bridge this time. This one just had something about it that never meshed for me. It was just a little too smooth and perhaps a little dull sounding. It also turned out heavier than the other two.

So I guess it depends on the indvidual guitar combonation and the exact peice of wood.
                              That was probably the lack of the rear trem cavity, that added to the weight.

Can you, put you finger on what you suspect made it sound "dull".

It could be significant to my next project.

Also - Anybody built a Strat with a ToM and Stop bar? Care to comment????

This is such a great thread!
                              "Well, if I knew I probably had to play this song for the rest of my life, I probably would have written something else! ...But it's too late you're stuck with this one" Joe Walsh on 'Rocky Mountain Way'
                              Churchill - "Democracy is the worst form of Government. Except for all the others!"

Comment

Working...
                              X