Your Favorite Clean Amplifier?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Favorite Clean Amplifier?

What's the one amp that's got the cleans that gives you shivers every time you strum a chord?

For me, that amp is the LoneStar, at the time at least! Quite impressive how Mesa is continually putting out great gear after all these years.

Anyway, yours?

Re: Your Favorite Clean Amplifier?

My HRD does a sparkly shimmering clean. It sounds awesome.
    ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

Ummmm Jazz Chorus?
      Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
      Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
      Originally posted by Sosomething
      "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

Comment

The clean channel on my Rivera Knucklehead never lets me down. I also REALLY love the cleans on a Polytone Mini-Brute that I used before. I have to get me one of those one day.

Finally, my Fender Hot Rod Deville is the amp I use for cleans the most, but as I use a LP with a JB in the bridge I gotta be careful not to push it too hard. Otherwise it starts to overdrive ever so slightly, but that might be what makes it so fun to play .
        "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

I loved my old Fender Blues Junior great warm jazzy cleans .....but my new fav
          is my POD XT's Fender Twin patch...mmmm mmm ....tasty
          "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

Fender Bassman. Well...there's really no "clean channel" on that amp, but just the way it sounds clean...the cleanest cleans I've ever heard...

I don't own one, but on every amp I play I compare it to the Bassman...

Comment

Clean and loud ?? I'd say it's a tie bettween 135 watt linear powered
              Fender Twin and a Ampeg V4.
              Clean and sweet ?? A Fender Champ.
              http://www.soundclick.com/whirlwindbluesrevue

Comment

Oh goodness, there's so many of them out there. Just find an old Fender Blackface and you're going to be very close.

The best new production clean I've heard is the reissue 64 Fender Custom Shop Vibroverb. I had one that rattled a lot, so I sent it back. But it's cleans were loud and sweet.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Yeah, I agree with Scott for "American clean".....I love the sound of that Fender Custom Shop Vibroverb. Something about Blackface tone through a 15 inch speaker just makes strats and teles HAPPEN. For British clean, Matchless all the way.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I might have to search out a non-rattling version of that amp again some day. Handwired, tube and SS rectifier options, beautiful reverb, great 15" Eminence speaker. Had it not been for the rattling I couldn't track down, I'd still have it.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

The best clean tone I've ever heard come out of an amp was a '66 Deluxe Reverb with the original GE tubes and a celestion vintage 30 replacement speaker.

But I tend to like Fender Twins, Deluxe reverbs, and Bassmans.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitarist
                        What's the one amp that's got the cleans that gives you shivers every time you strum a chord?

For me, that amp is the LoneStar, at the time at least! Quite impressive how Mesa is continually putting out great gear after all these years.

Anyway, yours?
                        My vote is for the Mesa Blue Angel. Kinda like the Lone Star, but cleaner. And reverb to die for...oooooooh!!
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I played a PRS McCarty soapbar into blue angel combo last week. It was a stunningly good combination. Hadn't played a BA since I swapped mine for my PRS, and it reminded me how great that amp is.

Thing is, it won't cut through a mix nearly as well as the clean on my Custom Vibrolux reverb. I love the clean sound on that amp, and it never disappears onstage like blackface fenders do.

Want to improve on that? -go for a vibro king.

Pretty much any pre-silverface fender amp (or reissue if need be) is great for clean. just pick one according to taste/need. I prefer pre-blackface circuits, though blackface amps sound nice with humbuckers.
                          Originally posted by Jolly
                          ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

1st choice? Fender, hands down.

2nd choice? Mesa. It has a little stronger midrange to it, but I really like that sound.

I had a chance to try a Lonestar, and I passed it by, I kinda regret not playing it now.

I'd like to try a Blue Angle and F-30/50 as well, if I ever find one....

....I wonder how the cleans on the Stilletto will sound?
                            || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

My Hiwatt Custom 50 is amazing.....clean headroom for days!!!

My Tech21 Trademark 60 & the SansAmp PSA-1 has some beautiful cleans too, but this Hiwatt is magnificent!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                              Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                              FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Working...
                              X