banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Well, a tube just blew out a few minutes ago...(EL84 replacement)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, a tube just blew out a few minutes ago...(EL84 replacement)

I get to buy new tubes!!!

I'm buying a whole set of EL84's (I'm using a Mesa Boogie 20/20 by the way). I was thinking JJ/Teslas since I heard they are more badass than a group of dykes playing video games.

I just found some tubes via musiciansfriend.com that sound rather appealing: Ruby Tubes! That has a nice ring to it, don't you think? Apparently these things beef up just about everything. At least that's what the info says about it. Has anyone used these before?

What tubes have you guys used?

phear teh guitar pissing kitty of DEWM!!!

Re: Well, a tube just blew out a few minutes ago...(EL84 replacement)

DO NOT USE RUBY PRODUCTS!!! Hopefully Lew might chime in about this. But they are the worst company in the world IMO.
    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Somehow I just pictured someone yelling to Beandip that someone was going to use Rubytubes and he came running out of the bathroom, toilet paper streaming from his buttcrack, yelling, "DON'T BUY RUBY PRODUCTS! DON'T BUY RUBY PRODUCTS!" ROFLMAO!

Sorry, Beandip, I watch too much Seinfeld.
      ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

I agree - I don't care for some of their underhanded business practices.
        (see Guitar Nuts )

Most, if not all, of their tubes are Chinese.

for EL 84s, I'd stick with the JJs ... you can find a pretty good consensus regarding these as the best current production EL 84

I'd recommend getting a couple pairs rated the same - then next time you blow a tube, you can switch tubes and have the same settings ... depending on the amp .. if you have to bias, similar pairs will save you having to rebias next time (although I'd still check 'em)
        Last edited by Curly; 09-01-2004, 07:57 PM.
        "music heals"
        facebook

Comment

I won't use Ruby Tubes then.

I just like how that rolls off the tongue. It's like someone could ask me "hey man, what tubes are you using?" And I can say "RrrrrrrrrrrrUBYTUUUUUBESSS!!!!"

But now, I'll have to stick with "teh teslazz biiaaaaaacchhh!!!"

phear teh guitar pissing kitty of DEWM!!!

Comment

Thanks Slinger. The sad thing is, I actually know what episode you're speaking of.
            This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

You can also check out EH. They are brighter than JJs which may be good in your amp. I really like them a lot in my modded classic 50 but JJs were nicest stock. Cant really go wrong with either of those companies.
              Gypsy, give me your tears. If you will not give them to me, I will take them from you.

Comment

Working...
              X