Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fender clean, Marshall OD

Originally posted by Mike M.
    In regards to the amp mods, who is Jeff Seal and how to contact him?

PM him here (you can find him in the user list under Jeff Seal), click on his www and send him an e-mail. Nicest guy you'll ever do business with, and if you go with one of his mods you'll never be the same.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

Okay, I know it was a different thread, by mrid now has my vote for best avatar! Quagmire is my hero!

Comment

Originally posted by Bludave
        I've gone in a similar route. I did this about 10 years ago. I too was looking for the Holy grail, and elected to go in this direction. I use a 900 50W combo A/b'd with a 69 Fender Super Reverb. As much as I love the Plexi sound (IMO it is the best Amp Marshall ever made) It is just unmanagable. It has to be played very loud to get that legendary Marshall sound, and at lower volumes it just lacks the Crunch we all dseire. IMO look for a Marshall with a Master Volume control. and the Fender of your choice. This is a very versatile way to go. The DSL or TSL and Marshall 2000's are all good in some ways. It is really a matter of what sound will work for you. I am looking to replace my 900 with "something" else. Haven't found it yet. But this works for me!!
        You really should check out some boutique stuff. Plexi tone is now at manageable volumes.

I'm in the same situation as many others. I want chimey, shimmering Fender cleans with plexi type distortion and I haven't found both in one head yet.

The THD Flexi brought about one huge grin from me. Playing with the boost option gave me the most heavenly crunchy rich rhythm distortion channel... I was astounded. I think the plexi is the holy grail rhythm channel now, there is no substitutes. No other Marshall can compare to a Marshall Super Lead plexi
        Originally posted by kevlar3000
        I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
        Originally posted by Zerberus
        Better is often the enemy of good
        Originally posted by ginormous
        Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Comment

Originally posted by mrid
          It's such a good amp that I named my cat after it!
          You named your cat Shiva? That's cool! My cat is named Frida Kahlo.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

A Fender Twin Reverb with a MXR Double Shot Distortion will do the job.

Comment

kap x

check out a Marshall JCM 600 Head, with any 16 ohm Marshall cab.

The JCM 600 has excellent cleans, and of course, Marshall Overdrive.

It's a 60 watt, all tube, channel switching Marshall Head from the 90's.

It also has reverb, and two effects loops.

It's a Very Cool Head !!!
              Last edited by 59paul; 09-03-2004, 02:20 AM.
              Only The Strong Survive

Comment

Originally posted by the_Chris
                You really should check out some boutique stuff. Plexi tone is now at manageable volumes.

I'm in the same situation as many others. I want chimey, shimmering Fender cleans with plexi type distortion and I haven't found both in one head yet.

The THD Flexi brought about one huge grin from me. Playing with the boost option gave me the most heavenly crunchy rich rhythm distortion channel... I was astounded. I think the plexi is the holy grail rhythm channel now, there is no substitutes. No other Marshall can compare to a Marshall Super Lead plexi
                I am looking at some boutique amps also. I espicially like what I have read about the Mojave stuff. Any body here play thru one. Here on the East Coast it is hard to find any retailers that cater to the small Amp builders.
                "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

honestly, and i know its going to sound wierd with the names of amps that are flying around this thread, but do check out the peavey classic series. imo, the amp nails the fender distortion, and it also nails the marshall tone. i guess im the only one that thinks that, but i can get allmost any sound from crunching marshall distortion to nice fender cleans.

this amp is often over looked for this because of all the "top named" products.
                  esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
                  fender mim standard strat
                  peavey classic 30
                  johnson j-station
                  original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
                  dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
                  yamaha f-310p acoustic
                  taylor 410 acoustic
                  "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

For an all-in-one deal, the Traynor CV series is worth a listen, they have an 80 watt one that kick some butt! I have the 40W version (w/ 1X12" Celestion), the overdrive section breaks up like a Marshall Plexi and the Clean section has a beautiful chimey Fender quality. It's a class A circuit which definitely helps.
                    Hoo Hooooo Hooo Hoooooooo

http://talktobears.hearnow.com

Sent from an old crank telephone in rural GA

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                      Rivera!
                      (I bet no one saw THAT one coming!! lol )
                      +1. They're expensive amps, but well worth the money IMO. Although, you can get a used Knucklehead (the old series, not the Reverb or MK2 models) for a pretty good price. I love mine...
                      "After I die I shall return to earth as the doorkeeper of a bordello and I won't let a one of you in." -Arturo Toscanini

Comment

Any opinions about the Fender Tone Master Head?
                        "Play like a Champion"
                        PRS DGT, Fender Tele and Strat
                        Marshall JTM45 w/ Creambacks
                        Fav SD Pups C5, Jazz, PG's, 59's

Comment

The Bogner Shiva would definitely be a dead ringer....

You'd have to decide on whether you want the 6L6 or EL34 version. They're both great though.

The Soldano Lucky 13 is another one with that type of design. I use an SLO-100, and its been great, but I haven't played through a Lucky 13.
                          "One other thing... I think it rips through your clothes when it takes you over...."
                          R.J. MacReady, John Carpenter's The Thing

http://www.myspace.com/PegasusActualMusic
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dzNCgX0QW0

http://www.soundclick.com/randymcfarland
                          http://www.soundclick.com/randotones

Comment

Originally posted by kap_x
                            I'm looking for an amp combo, or halfstack (needs to be loud enough for stagework).

But, I want it to be fender cleans..the beautil articulate cleans, and with slight OD that perfect blues tone (especially with a strat)
                            but I also play other music. I need plenty of distortion, and I want Marshall distortion--the thickness and chunk of a marshall overdrive.

Any suggestions?

and for how much do they sell normally?

I just skipped al the other answers, but you just described the Rivera Knucklehead 55.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Working...
                            X