A scale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A scale

Bean I would say if you were having such a hard time grasping theory then your teachers did you a dis-service. No one has explained it to you the right way. Chords, scales, and how they relate are really easy, lots of stuff on the net to explain it too. But hey, music is art, and its your perogitive. If you don't want to learn all that stuff then so be it. Personally I'm not theory wiz, but I do know my scales, modes, and how they connect across the neck, and I can say that it has definately made me a better guitar player.

Comment

I can't play by ear, but I wish I could. There are many people who are geniuses at the art of music who don't understand the theory of music. Beandip asked a simple question of what notes are in the A scale. This to me was not a invitation to browbeat him on him on whether he should study music theory. There are basic tricks that he could be pointed to such as the circle of 5th and harmonizing a scale that anyone wanting to figure a song by ear should know. However, it should have been left at that. A lot times when we lecture others, it may be merely a reflection our own inadequacy. My own $.02.

Comment

The song is Matt Neely's "God's Not Done Yet"
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

well the notes are the oens i posted above.

unless you want to know more, then this all you want to know as of right now.

Comment

Originally posted by jcarlos
            I can't play by ear, but I wish I could. There are many people who are geniuses at the art of music who don't understand the theory of music. Beandip asked a simple question of what notes are in the A scale. This to me was not a invitation to browbeat him on him on whether he should study music theory. There are basic tricks that he could be pointed to such as the circle of 5th and harmonizing a scale that anyone wanting to figure a song by ear should know. However, it should have been left at that. A lot times when we lecture others, it may be merely a reflection our own inadequacy. My own $.02.
            I don't think anyone was 'browbeating' him on a simple question, I think the issue is that 'learning something is bad'. If someone has just told you they don't want to learn, and explains that learning 'hurts creativity', it is difficult to understand that point of view if you have taken the time to learn. It is also bad for people who are learning to read statements like that- it breeds insecurity as well as immature and illiterate musicians (which are a real pain to work with, btw). I think if beandip just asked for the notes without the diatribe, all would be well.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
            X