gibson studio versus a standard? thinner maple top? Other differences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gibson studio versus a standard? thinner maple top? Other differences

I know the studio does not have the binding but what about the 498t pickups or the maple top? Is it thinner thana standard? What other differences are there and are the 498t pickups crap? I have a c5 in another guitar and wondered how it would sound?
    My bands links:

PEDL
    www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
    www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
    www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Re: gibson studio versus a standard? thinner maple top? Other differences

Supposedly, the modern Studio's are nearly identical to the Standards in terms of build. From what I've read, they stopped making the thinner Studio's sometime in the 90's.
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

I have a studio, and I'm pretty sure it is the same size as a std., like screamingdaisy said they stopped doing the thinner ones some time in the nineties (i think), the only real differences are no binding and less finish choice as far as I know.
      "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Comment

I own a 2001 studio, and I've played a handful of standards at guitar shops, and I really haven't noticed anything. There really seemed to be no difference in playability to me, and the only sound difference was the pickups.

Comment

I have a '95 Studio that plays, sounds, and is constructed the same as a Standard except for binding. I find the neck to be a hair rounder than the slim-tapered neck models. Your C-5 and a '59 or Jazz would probably sound great in one. I opted for the JB/Jazz combination.
          ...Bob

Comment

My new studio sounds darker than my friends 2 deluxes or the standard another friend has. Is it the pickups making the difference or the guitar? I have heard some say that the top of the studio is thinner than other models. I just checked out another studio limited edition and the top is copper and the body is black. The copper top part is thinner than the standards and deluxes as far as the paint jpb goes. Did they just paint it like that or is it as thin as the top color suggests?
            My bands links:

PEDL

TREBLE BLEED

KLINK

Comment

It's hard to say exactly why your Studio sounds darker without knowing what kind of pickups are in the other guitars, and then comparing them to yours. If you all are using the same pickups it could even be a matter of what strings you're using. It also depends on how the guitars are set up, too. String-height and pickup-height play big roles in a guitar's sound. I have my bridge pickup adjusted as high as I can get it without fouling the strings, and keep the neck pup almost as close as the bridge. My Studio definitely doesn't sound dark.
              About the 498T stock Gibson hummers....there are many who like the sound of them and really it's all in what your ears like. They didn't sound bad to me, I just wanted a more vintage sound so I swapped 'em out.
              As far as the finishes are concerned I would only guess that the thickness of the copper paint is just that....the paint and not the wood covering the top of the body.
              ....Bob

Comment

Thanx. Any one know if Gibson sells satin chrome replacement parts for this guitar I bought? It has all brushed satin chrome stuff on it.
                My bands links:

PEDL

TREBLE BLEED

KLINK

Comment

Look in the aftermarket. It's much cheaper.
                  || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by KLINKDETROIT
                    Thanx. Any one know if Gibson sells satin chrome replacement parts for this guitar I bought? It has all brushed satin chrome stuff on it.
                    A couple of good websites to shop for parts:

....Bob

Comment

Thanks alot. I didnt find any brushed chrome though? I emailed Gibson so we will see if they are of any help on the pickup covers?
                      Last edited by KLINKDETROIT; 09-07-2004, 07:54 AM.
                      My bands links:

PEDL

TREBLE BLEED

KLINK

Comment

why not get a studio and just replace the parts with cream hardware! and ta da you get a standard with no binding haha, as far as playability the oens i have played seem the same to me as standards. I would love to buy one if i had the money.
                        Proud Master of Strats.....

Comment

so, given the topic, now seems like a logical time to ask a question i've always wondered:
                          why are standards almost twice as expensive as studios? Where is all that extra cash going? from what we've discussed, it isn't in the assembly, because they play the same. Do upgraded pickups, binding, and a nice finish REALLY cost as much as the guitar itself? (hence, making it twice as expensive as those without the nicer finishes, ie, studios)

Comment

Good question. I wondered that myself. Has anyone tried the studio coppertop or other limited edition colors with a ebony neck without inlays? How do they compare to the other studios or standards? I know they look different. In my guitarists oppinion his standard blows mine away but is it just his emgs that make it sound brighter/ tighter. or what. My guitar sounded muffled and muddy compared to his. Why? I use the stock pickup Gibson 498T. I like my c5 pickup for my Schecter but wonder how it will sound in the Gibson studio compared to the 498t?
                            My bands links:

PEDL

TREBLE BLEED

KLINK

Comment

Hellooooooooo anybody out there?
                              My bands links:

PEDL

TREBLE BLEED

KLINK

Comment

Working...
                              X