banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some info on Strats...Thanks in advance!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some info on Strats...Thanks in advance!

Im looking to buy a strat now, Ive always had LPs or humbucker types. But I want that strat sound for something different. Questions are....What are the differences in MIM, MIJ, and American? I mean, woodwise not so much electrics, I can change that. What are the MIMs made of? Id like a good guitar, but am uneasy about spending the $ for a MIA. Anything you can tell me that would make me a educated buyer would be appreciatted. Thanks

Re: Need some info on Strats...Thanks in advance!

The MIM strat bodys last time I checked were made of poplar. I've heard alot of good things about the New Fender Highway 1 Strats so you may wanna check them out. They are American made and about 200 bucks cheaper than an original Fender American Standard Strat. You may even be able to save more money if you buy a Fender Highway 1 Strat used on ebay. I personally would go with a Fender Highway 1 over a MIM Strat. I used to own a MIM and when I did pickup upgrades, I couldnt believe the poor quality of work under the pickguard. There was like this glue **** all over the bottom of the pickups. When I saw that it made me wonder what else on the guitar was poor quality and just garbage.
    Last edited by GuitarGuy503; 09-05-2004, 01:31 PM.
    Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
    Roland Cube 60
    Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
    BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
    LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
    Mogami Cables
    Mooer Candy Toppers
    Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
    Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

...no they're both alder. Fender doesn't make poplar guitars anymore
      Originally posted by gibson175
      metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Thanks...Positive they are alder? How can I tell, I really want the body to be quality, I may even build one. But I want an alder body.

Comment

absolutely positive, i just checked the fender catalog for 2004

if you go to the fender website it tells you what guitars are made of what kind of wood.

if you plan on building your own body, i'd get a MIM, because american's biggest thing IMO is having a single cut body, but if you make your own, it doesn't matter
          Originally posted by gibson175
          metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

alder now? thats new to me....
            Gibson Les Paul R8 in Ebony
            Roland Cube 60
            Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Head & Mesa Boogie 2x12 Horizontal Rectifier Cabinet
            BadCat Unleash V1 Attenuater/Re-amplifier
            LoopMaster Clean Dirty A/B Looper Switcher
            Mogami Cables
            Mooer Candy Toppers
            Pedals: Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb, Mad Professor Deep Blue Delay, Neunaber Stereo WET Reverb, Keeley 30ms DoubleTracker, & TC Electronic Polytune.
            Extras: AmpWedge & Auralex Great Gramma ISO Platform

Comment

Both the MIA and MIM or good guitars for the cash. Really the only difference is the MIA strats have better wood quality, the bridge is the 2 point style and the pickups are better (although I replaced them with Texas specials). I own both an MIA and MIM and the MIM is a very good quality guitar. I did replace the pickups with Fender Noisless pups and it plays and sounds very well.

Saying that my MIA does have a better feel and tone and the all around playability is better. Depending on your cash situation either guitar is a good choice.
              Gear: 2002 Fender Amer. Strat W/TX Specials
              1999 Fender MIM Strat...
              2004 Music Man Sub 1

'94 Fender Deluxe Reverb.
              Line 6 Spider II 1x12
              Boss ME-50
              Boss DD-5

Comment

I actually prefer the vintage 6 hole trems vs the 2 pt for tuning stability. The main difference between the MIA and the MIM is the neck. MIM has 21 vintage style frets, MIA has 22 medium jumbo frets. The detailing on the fret edges is also generally superior on the MIA's, but I've heard good reports on some MIM's also.

In my opinion, electronics are suspect on both, but generally the MIA's are of higher quality....especially in the pots, caps and switches. There are some who actually prefer the MIM's pups to the MIA's.....I think that both need to be replaced, at least the bridge pup.

IMO the Hwy 1 strat is the best value for the $$ right now. Nice 22 fret medium jumbo with rolled finger board edges, pups are actually decent save the bridge position, and the thin lacquer finish really lets the sound of the wood resonate, unlike the thick poly finishes on the MIM and MIA.

That's my opinin for what it's worth.
                My Sound Clips

Comment

Comment

Either a HWY 1 strat, or a MIM Classic strat are your best bets. The HWY is more modern, kinda like a vintage strat with modern appointments, and the MIM Classic is for your classic strat tone and feel, without having to pay the AV price. I would go with a HWY 1. Probably one with a bucker in the bridge, so you can atleast be in familiar territory.
                    This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

im building my guitars from now on. I dont care about resale value or any of that stuff, i want my guitars to play well not sell high. Warmoth all the way!
                      2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

One more Strat to consider is the Jimmie Vaughan signature model. It's M.I.M. but has better hardware including a traditional bridge, 9.5" radius neck with a great V-shape and medium jumbo frets. It also has Tex-Mex pickups, which are better than the usual M.I.M. equipment plus wiring with tone control for the bridge pickup rather that the middle. Check it out.
                        John Cipollina August 24, 1943 - May 29, 1989

Comment

i like those jimmie vaughans too, only 21 frets but still a cool guitar. i think its one of the best mexicans ive played

Comment

If you're prepared to look at 'Strats' from other brands these are great guitars for the money (G&L - still by Leo Fender):

Comment

Originally posted by sgstrat
                              One more Strat to consider is the Jimmie Vaughan signature model. It's M.I.M. but has better hardware including a traditional bridge, 9.5" radius neck with a great V-shape and medium jumbo frets. It also has Tex-Mex pickups, which are better than the usual M.I.M. equipment plus wiring with tone control for the bridge pickup rather that the middle. Check it out.
                              Originally posted by jeremy
                              i like those jimmie vaughans too, only 21 frets but still a cool guitar. i think its one of the best mexicans ive played
                              Thanks very much guys. Now you've got me gassin' for a Jimmie Vaughan Strat.

In white.

Comment

Working...
                              X