Question for Zerberus or JohnJohn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for Zerberus or JohnJohn

...or anyone else who has some experience with this. I'll try to describe this the best I can, hopefully you'll know what I'm talking about. Is there any way to modify the cavity that a Floyd bridge sits in so that the action can be lowered? Ever since I got my Hamer, I've been playing my Wolfgang less and less. On my Hamer the action is low and comfortable, and I can fly on the neck. On my Wolfgang, I can't get the action low enough. Even with the Floyd adjusted as low as it can possibly go, the action is still much higher than on my Hamer with a tuneomatic bridge. When I adjust the Floyd's height screws to lower the trem, it will eventually start tilting forward...not because of the spring tension, but because the rear of the trem cavity sits higher than the front part. So the rear of the trem makes contact with the body, but the front slants downward if I tighten the screws too much. Even then, the action is too high. If I loosen the height screws until the trem sits parallel to the body like it's supposed to, the action is still way too high. Is there any way to modify the trem cavity so that the trem is a bit more recessed? I don't want to resort to shimming the neck. This is the only Floyd guitar I've tried, I don't know if other guitars have this problem or not, or if there's anything a good luthier can do to fix it. But I'm about ready to put it on Ebay, because this guitar is driving me crazy. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Re: Question for Zerberus or JohnJohn

I'm confused..... do you have a pic?

(I don't like floyds either)

Comment

Yeah, I'll try to get a pic tomorrow. Basically, the action is too high, even with the neck adjusted properly and the floyd adjusted as low as it can possibly go. I'm wondering if the cavity where the Floyd sits can be made deeper, so that the action can be lowered.

Ryan
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

hmm
        if im reading it correctly...
        maybe u should adjust ur truss rod to a more comfortable bend?

Ishan
        Guitars:
        Ernie Ball/Music Man Sillhouette Special (custom wound Blue Velvets, JB bridge), Ibanez RG3120 (PAFPro neck, Tone Zone), Gibson V (Seth in Neck, C5 in bridge), Fender Highway 1 Stratocaster (Stock)
        Amps:
        Mesa Boogie Mark III Simulcass Head, Marshall JMP-1, Mesa Boogie 50/50, Trace Elliot Tramp

Comment

You could try to shim the neck. Maybe it just need to be angled a bit (like 1 or 2 degrees).

Comment

So, you're problem is that the back part of the Floyd is touching the back part of the body cut? Well, you've either got to shim the neck or route the body. I myself would route the body, since it's the "correct" thing to do. Shimming the neck would get you close to the same results. Make a full pocket shim, so that you can just raise the neck, and keep full body contact. Maybe make a full pocket shim about 1/8th to 1/16th of an inch thick?
            This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by beandip
              So, you're problem is that the back part of the Floyd is touching the back part of the body cut? Well, you've either got to shim the neck or route the body. I myself would route the body, since it's the "correct" thing to do. Shimming the neck would get you close to the same results. Make a full pocket shim, so that you can just raise the neck, and keep full body contact. Maybe make a full pocket shim about 1/8th to 1/16th of an inch thick?

You´re getting better every day, Beandip
              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Thanks Zerb
                This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Working...
                X