No announcement yet.

Does this Les Paul neck have a volute?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this Les Paul neck have a volute?

Hey guys, I'm not exactly sure what a Les Paul neck with a volute looks like...can anyone tell for sure from this picture if this neck has one? Thanks.

Ryan
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Re: Does this Les Paul neck have a volute?

Yep, that's a volute.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

sorry, what's the deal with volutes? I've heard LPs with them are considered to be of poorer quality, but is that just because volutes were made in the 70s and people generally find 70s gibsons to be crap in general. I've played guitars with volutes and I don't find any playability/sound issues... is it something to do with construction/quality? (My $200 Schecter has one, my $600 Jag doesn't?)
      thanks,
      dan

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something, as I never got into LP's, but that doesn't look like a volute to me. What it looks like is a peghead that was sheared off and then glued back on...
        1992 Tom Anderson Drop Top w/ Joe Barden's
        Warmoth Tele Deluxe with SD Phat Cats
        Tone King Meteor 30

Comment

A volute is only there to strengthen the "joint" between headstock and neck. Martin has been doing it for decades, for example

As far as good or bad: 100% preferencce, unless it gets in the way playing (Seen that I think once so far )

That neck: Has one. And somebody managed to snap the headstock off anyway
          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

I've seen larger volutes on Les Pauls. Interesting, the neck is also 3 piece which is supposed to be difficult to break too

Comment

Looks like a reglue job to me.
              www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

Originally posted by jmh151
                I've seen larger volutes on Les Pauls.

Me too. Doesnt look like the volutes I've seen so far. But usually, Zerb knows what hes talking 'bout.
                Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

The volutes I've seen on early'70's 335's and a LP Deluxe, were more pronounced (annoyingly taller,where you can rest your thumb in them) than that. Also, I agree with the other guys, that looks like a re-glue job to me, and if you look near the tuning key, it looks like the necks been refinished. Is it a Standard or a Custom? If it's a Custom, it was probably Ebony at one time.

Jeff
                  Last edited by Jeffrec; 09-09-2004, 01:54 PM.
                  "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Ryan, If you are looking for a "beater" Les Paul, I got your axe .

I bought a 1977 Tobacco Sunburst Les Paul off of the internet a few years back, and the guy sent fuzzy pics on purpose, because it has 2 coil tap switches between the knobs. I was dissapointed that the guy had neglected to mention this, but the guitar played so well that I kept it. I just bought yet another re-issue Les Paul, and so I would make you a deal on the 1977 if you wanted it.

I recently ( 6 months ago) had a guy in Vermont re-fret it, plays great as I said, but I do not like that he did not "dress" the fret ends properly. I called Gibson to verify the correct model that it is, because something else had me confused about it. It has humbuckers ( 59' nickel neck, JB nickel bridge) with original tobacco sunburst factory paint in the routes, but it has a Deluxe serial number. Gibson advised that someone ordered that guitar from them in 1976 with the "Deluxe appointments but Standard routes for humbuckers", whatever that is supposed to mean........

I had a local guy here in Jacksonville attempt to repair the coil tap holes, and he did a good camoflauge job with the amber color, but I still know that they are there, but most people do not immediately notice until I point it out.

Anyway, if you are interested in the "beater" and since I have dealt with you before, let me know. After a good fret dressing it would be great. No breaks or cracks, and I have mentioned all the issues, so there are no suprises.
                    60's style neck and a brown Gibson case with the pink skirt included!!

Later, Jon
                    Last edited by OUTLAW1969; 09-10-2004, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X