setup & fret job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setup & fret job

Hello. It's been quite a while since I last posted here. Perhaps no one even remembers me here anymore. I found my username erased, it's been so long. I reregistered under the same name. so here I am.

A little about myself. I write and play my own gospel music. I'm a strummer mostly. I live in rural northwest Kansas. I've got about two albums worth of songs I've dreamed up, that I like to drag out my guitar and fill up my little part of the world with beautiful sounds.

I've played an acoustic 12-string Seagull for about 10 or 12 years now. It's due for a setup and fret job, maybe even replace a few frets. It buzzes badly now on certain notes.

Almost one year ago, when the buzzing first started, we took the Seagull to a local music store, which -to be fair- I shall not name. They sent it to their 'main store'. Month after month, we would check back, and "No, it's not ready yet." The people in the store were very, very nice. They had no control over what was happening at the 'main store'.

After about eight months of this, a 'friend', who shall also remain unnamed, asked how my music was coming. What could I say? I said the guitar has been out 'for all this time'. How much time? About eight months.

He made a big deal out of, "Oh, that's ridiculous..." and so on. He volunteered himself, to go get the guitar, and take it to a different music store somewhere in northwest Kansas. He even sat there and whipped out his cell phone and made a big deal out of talking to the people at the other store about it.

So the first music store was contacted and asked to get back my 12-string from their 'main store', so it could be picked up and taken somewhere else. They got it back, and the 'friend' went and got it.

The 'friend' returned it to me. Then he left.

Since then, he refuses to talk about taking it to this other store, which I do not remember the name of. It has now been another two months. When asked, he will say, "Oh, I need to do that, don't I?" Then I don't hear from him again. He has to all appearances dropped the whole thing. Why, I have no idea.

The people at that music store seem a little embarrassed whenever I show up or call about anything now. Perhaps if the 'friend' had not interfered, they might have actually got my guitar back by now. I keep asking myself if there is anything I could have said or done, to make things work out better somehow.

So now, after ten months of my life, I still have not been able to get my guitar repaired. We don't have a car. If we use UPS, it's going to be difficult to meet the extra expense, but perhaps that is the best way to go.

I have no idea where to send my 12-string.

Does anybody know where I can send it that does good work and has good rates, please? Thank you so very much.

sweetguitargirl

Re: setup & fret job

Sorry to hear about that, sweetguitargirl.
    Lesson learned: NEVER let Seagull-selling stores (*coughGuitarCenter?cough*), incompetent salesmen, or do-gooding friends get in the way of your music!! I'm glad you're doing something about it now, tho.
    Northwest Kansas? Try contacting ELDERLY INSTRUMENTS for starters. They are a very reputable dealer somewhere "out there" ... sorry, I'm from NYC, and my mental map has nothing but a bunch of white spaces outside of NY/NJ ...
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

sweetguitargirl,
      actually I do remember you
      I think last time you asked for suggestions for an electric?

anyway ...
      this is kind of a horror story ... 10 months????? you must have the patience of Job! Though I'm no luthier, what you are describing seems like a few minor problems to me. The first thing I would've looked at would have been the nut, since they often wear down over time, just from string changes. Buzzing is often attributable to a worn nut ... when my Martin started to buzz, I took it to Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto. They filled a couple worn nut slots with Super Glue, and that fixed the problem. 10 minute job.

anyway, this is my suggestion, and it may require a little work on your part. I'm not familiar with your area, so I'll give you a list of authorized Martin repair shops in Kansas. Try to find a few perhaps near you, maybe call, and find one you are comfortable with.
      Kansas Martin dealers
      there are other resources which list luthiers, such as Guild of American Luthiers, but Martin has one of the better networks of repair facilities, and authorization.

You might also post on an acoustic guitar forum, although I don't know one offhand.

Frankly, this should've been a two week job.

Get your guitar back, and get busy making music.

And, if you need more help, let us know.

Peace
      "music heals"
      facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Curly
        sweetguitargirl,
        actually I do remember you
        I think last time you asked for suggestions for an electric?

anyway ...
        this is kind of a horror story ... 10 months????? you must have the patience of Job! Though I'm no luthier, what you are describing seems like a few minor problems to me. The first thing I would've looked at would have been the nut, since they often wear down over time, just from string changes. Buzzing is often attributable to a worn nut ... when my Martin started to buzz, I took it to Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto. They filled a couple worn nut slots with Super Glue, and that fixed the problem. 10 minute job.

anyway, this is my suggestion, and it may require a little work on your part. I'm not familiar with your area, so I'll give you a list of authorized Martin repair shops in Kansas. Try to find a few perhaps near you, maybe call, and find one you are comfortable with.
        Kansas Martin dealers
        there are other resources which list luthiers, such as Guild of American Luthiers, but Martin has one of the better networks of repair facilities, and authorization.

You might also post on an acoustic guitar forum, although I don't know one offhand.

Frankly, this should've been a two week job.

Get your guitar back, and get busy making music.

And, if you need more help, let us know.

Peace
        DITTO TO WHAT CURLY SAID....AND YOU MUST HAVE PATIENCE OF JOB!!
        WELCOME BACK TO THE BOARDS
        "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

Welcome back. I have to agree with my peers, 10 months is about 30X what a fretjob and setup should take at the longest. 2 weeks is already almost inexplainable, but 8 months??

IŽd take it to a reputable dealer, Elderly or someone from the Martin-List are definitely good starting points
          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Hi again. I printed out this web page with all your comments, and also the one with the Martin dealers in Kansas. I'll be checking up on who can do this.

Yeah, I thought for a while before about an electric, but budget held me back so I thought I'd fix up my 12-string acoustic for now. Hey, gimme anything with strings on it, and I hope to surprise you and not a little.

If you look at the frets where most of the action is, they look like, they're not the right shape compared to the ones higher up, they're worn in quite a ways. Like, dished out. Someone said you might better have them replace about four of them and then do whatever else they normally do.

At least I don't feel like I'm stuck anymore, now that I've got you all to help keep me clued in. Thanks!
            Last edited by sweetguitargirl; 09-09-2004, 07:58 AM.

Comment

Glad to be of service, Madam
              Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Working...
              X