These Boss OS-2s Rip After The Mods All

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• These Boss OS-2s Rip After The Mods All

Just got my own Boss OS-2 in the mail today and did my mods on it...These things are turning out really nice...I'm very happy with the overall tone of these pedals...If you have one that you're thinking of parting with,don't.....Let me mod it for you...Check out my modded board on my own OS-2 that I just finished...On the chip holder is a better sounding TI RC4558P opamp...

John
    Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 09-09-2004, 03:33 PM.
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Re: These Boss OS-2s Rip After The Mods All

Here's the OS-2 with it's green 5mm LED as a cool finishing touch....
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

That's my only distortion pedal. How does it sound compared to stock?

Comment

Originally posted by matt99camero
        That's my only distortion pedal. How does it sound compared to stock?
        No bright harsness or fuzzy stuff over your notes,more lows,more control on the color control..The whole pedal just has better overall tone and the tone is alot more natural sounding...Just did one for JM Corey also...I'll locate his review of his..His was the first one I Modded.I Liked his so much that I bought my own...

John

Comment

Here's Joe's review on his modded OS-2

Comment

Bumped for JM Corey

Comment

thats a ****load of film caps, those things must have been REALLY trebbly & harsh
              Originally posted by gibson175
              metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
                thats a ****load of film caps, those things must have been REALLY trebbly & harsh
                Basically you're just seeing all of the 1 MFD caps that replaced electrolytics...Electrolytics make terrible tone caps...There's a ton of 1 mfd can caps inside the OS-2 is all...The OS-2 is pretty much an SD1 and the DS1 in one pedal..Sounds great after the mods and a better chip though...

John

Comment

sounds pretty cool, i may have to check into it eventually

but im pretty sure we play 2 different things, im all about mixing fuzz with fat jcm tones, so im not sure if your mod would be right for me
                  Originally posted by gibson175
                  metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

i'm thinking of retireing my ibanez smash box and geting a more overdrive type of pedal to play with .. how's the sound of the OD-2? what type of sound does it have? i'll probably be checking it out on monday to hear it stock and then i'll talk to ya john about smoothing it out, add more lower mids and make it less generic.. which is what the smash box sounds. so damn generic, you pretty much cant make a good distortion apart of the in your face metal type,.. which is ok at times, but i'd like something more natural, singing

Comment

Originally posted by drew_half_empty
                      sounds pretty cool, i may have to check into it eventually

but im pretty sure we play 2 different things, im all about mixing fuzz with fat jcm tones, so im not sure if your mod would be right for me
                      My distortion pedal tones are pretty much all about tight Marshall type tones..My favorite high gain amp is and always has been,an old Marshall...

I don't use fuzz,so my mods wouldn't suit your styles...

John

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
                        i'm thinking of retireing my ibanez smash box and geting a more overdrive type of pedal to play with .. how's the sound of the OD-2? what type of sound does it have? i'll probably be checking it out on monday to hear it stock and then i'll talk to ya john about smoothing it out, add more lower mids and make it less generic.. which is what the smash box sounds. so damn generic, you pretty much cant make a good distortion apart of the in your face metal type,.. which is ok at times, but i'd like something more natural, singing
                        I'm very happy with the OS-2 and it's because it has alot of tonal adjustment on the entire range of the color knob...I've found that after modding it,I've been able to leave my tone setting at around 9 to 10 o'clock and the level at mid point,the drive at midpoint also...I then just sweep the color knob to different positions and I can get everything from dark,warm,sustaining overdrive,to tight crunchy Marshall JCM 800 tones...The pedal is sought of like a DS1 and an SD1,but the overdriven tones are alot warmer and darker sounding than the SD1...The SD1 is pretty crunchy and the OS-2s tones are closer to a Tube Screamer but darker and gainier...I never find myself wanting the drive knob over the mid point and this is cool also because there's still alot of gain left if I want a fuzzier type tone...I don't play with alot of gain as a rule and I Like to retain note clarity and the pedal is doing that also...I Picked mine up at a great price also..That always helps..

I Love this pedal and it may replace my DS1 and my SD1 on my board for now..

The modded OS-2 has lots of low end,less fuzzy sounding,very throaty midrange tones with the color knob at midpoint and towards full clockwise positions,and overall the pedal just sounds alot better,plus I'm using a different chip...I really like this pedal but it was pretty lame stock...
                        Last edited by STRATDELUXER97; 09-11-2004, 08:05 AM.

Comment

i think you just made me buy an OD2 hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Davey
                            i think you just made me buy an OD2 hehe
                            Check around on e bay first before you shell out for a new one...I Payed $42 for mine and it's almost brand new...Check out one of my favorite settings on the OS-2...

John

Comment

i'll try to get an used one, but i can only check trade sites and not ebay as i cannot buy off of ebay =(

found one for 50$ though..
                              Last edited by Davey; 09-11-2004, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X