No announcement yet.

Guitar Tones You Like and others Hate.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Guitar Tones You Like and others Hate.

As a spinoff to Darkshadow's thread on tones, I though t it'd be interesting to see which tones we as guitarists, appreciate while others don't really like.

I for one like the distorted acoustic sounds on Cake's Fashion Nugget CD. I also loved the ratty/swampy overdriven electric sound that they got on "The Distance" on that same CD.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Re: Guitar Tones You Like and others Hate.

the distortion on the beatles revolution, it sounds really cheap but its kinda cool

Comment

AFI's tone on their latest album (Sing the Sorrow).

Comment

lol....

Well I'm OK with Hammett's wah sound... I think it fits the music. SO SUE ME!!!!!!!!
        There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Comment

I've always loved the wild fuzz tone Norman Greebaum used on Spirit in the Sky. But all of my bandmates look at me funny when I say that.
          ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

As funky and stanky as it gets sometimes I've never heard a sound I didn't like out of Hendrix.

I'm a sucker for an 80's "clean" sound with a split humbucker, chorus, delay, or a liberal amount of compression... or all four of those!!

I have always loved Eric Johson's tone and I've often modeled my clean tones from his. I can't understand why so many people don't like it (read the other thread).

Some people don't like Joe Satriani's tone becuase they say its too overprocessed. Some of his tones are, and then others are just the most natural thing you could ever hear... Check out the Strat tones on "The Mighty Turtle Head" for an example. He goes from good to bad to weird and back all the time but I love it.

People also say sometimes Vai's tone is annoying... I think his sound was at its best on the 1st G3 tour when he was using Bogners mized with Soldanos and Marshalls. On record its gone down somewhat but Live its still really good.

I agree with the "Spirit In The Sky" fuzztone! Great stuff!

Comment

Originally posted by darkshadow54321
              lol....

Well I'm OK with Hammett's wah sound... I think it fits the music. SO SUE ME!!!!!!!!

your not the only one.....

also, i like eric claptons strat tone...
              esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
              fender mim standard strat
              peavey classic 30
              johnson j-station
              original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
              dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
              yamaha f-310p acoustic
              taylor 410 acoustic
              "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

The Replacements had an album called "Tim" that was rated as "an album with the WORST guitar tones" but it's one of my favorites of all time.. still.

Great guitar tones are not much with crappy lyrics, thin melodies and mediocre songwriting. I still listen to Robert Johnson's old stuff. The recordings are pretty bad, compared to modern times, but the music still has magic.
                https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

On a side note "Here Comes A Regular" from the Tim album is one of my favorite songs, "Little Mascara" is great too.

Mick Mars' sound on the first Crue album, totally raw, metallic and nasty.

Randy Rhoads' sound on Blizzard and Diary.

Johnny Ramone, except for the first album he always had a killer chainsaw rhythm tone.

Ron Asheton (Stooges) on Funhouse. Again a raw, nasty almost primitive type of sound.

Oh yeah Johnny Thunders on near everything he did. Something about that raw Rock N Roll sound that makes me crazy.
                  Last edited by Wattage; 09-10-2004, 03:11 PM.
                  My Bands -
                  https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
                  www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
                  www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
                  GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Johnny Thunders has a killer punk version of Pipeline.. hehe.. pretty rotten all right.. but I like it
                    https://www.bandmix.com/stevereed/

Comment

Working...
                    X