banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel becoming a guitar company for the elite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel becoming a guitar company for the elite?

As many of you probably noticed Charvel and Jackson officially split ways last year or so (after being bought by Fender).

So a couple of weeks ago I bump across their website (lookin for an all-round guitar to mod). These days they advertise themselves as "The Original Hot Rod Guitar". The San Dimas looked quite good, had amazing specs, so I searched for pricings...

All prices were around 2K (srp). What the **** is that about? That's almost Gibson pricy!

Or am I mistaken and has it always been like this?
    Vintage Les Paul Copy (SH6b - SH2)
    VHT Pitbull 50/12 2X12"

Re: Charvel becoming a guitar company for the elite?

I've seen them for that much since before the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by arvid4prez
      As many of you probably noticed Charvel and Jackson officially split ways last year or so (after being bought by Fender).
      False. They are still the same company (JCMI = Jackson Charvel Musical Instruments), the guitars are still made by the same people in the same shop on the same machines, the same way itīs been for the last 20 years (You could ALWAYS get a USA Charvel, but it was admittedly a Jackson with a Charvel Logo from the Custom Shop ). Last summer hte 25īth anniversary Strathead and Bullseye were reissued, this was only because being a "Fender Daughter" finally made it possible to license out the headstock and Body shapes. The idea haas been around a while, it just wasnīt a possibility

The only thing that happened was that in April management decided to axe the import Charvels and start pushing Charvel as what it originally was, "The Original Hot Rod Guitar". So they removed the Charvels from the Jackson website altogether and launched www.charvel.com in June. They even spent a horrendous sum so that the City of San Dimas would give them the old P.O. Box number back (IIRC it was being used for some sort of city hall schtick for the last 10 years...)

BTW, the Fender Takeover was Oct 2001

So a couple of weeks ago I bump across their website (lookin for an all-round guitar to mod). These days they advertise themselves as "The Original Hot Rod Guitar". The San Dimas looked quite good, had amazing specs, so I searched for pricings...

All prices were around 2K (srp). What the **** is that about? That's almost Gibson pricy!

Or am I mistaken and has it always been like this?
      All Jackson USA guitars have always listed at above 2k, only Imports ever had an MSRP below that. But the typical dealer sells them for about 30-40 % off list, and thatīs a bigger knockdown than most other USA Manufacturers wholesale prices allow their dealers to make, spreading the gorge even wider

And theyīre still some of the cheapest USA guitars available, with by far some of the best workmanship and general build quality of ANY company

Iīll have a pointy bullseye with v-trem as soon as I can afford one, and Iīm the last person on this planet that needs another Jackson (with the possible exception of some of my peers over at www.jcfonline.com
      Last edited by Zerberus; 09-12-2004, 03:52 AM.
      Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
        All Jackson USA guitars have always listed at above 2k, only Imports ever had an MSRP below that. But the typical dealer sells them for about 30-40 % off list, and thatīs a bigger knockdown than most other USA Manufacturers wholesale prices allow their dealers to make, spreading the gorge even wider
        Problem is, for us Europeans (the main land anyway, don't know about UK) the street price is around the list price + 10%. So if a guitar is listed at 2K for you guys, you're one lucky b*stard if you can find it for that price over here (hence my great disappointment...).

Also my main point is that in their line up ALL models are listed at 2K, no budget models. That's a damn shame.
        Last edited by arvid4prez; 09-12-2004, 03:01 PM.
        Vintage Les Paul Copy (SH6b - SH2)
        VHT Pitbull 50/12 2X12"

Comment

Problem is, for us Europeans (the main land anyway, don't know about UK) the street price is around the list price + 10%. So if a guitar is listed at 2K for you guys, you're one lucky b*stard if you can find it for that price over here (hence my great disappointment...).

Also my main point is that in their line up ALL models are listed at 2K, no budget models. That's a damn shame.
          Take a GOOOD look at where I am, bro. No UK or USA schtick here, Iīm as mainland Europe as it gets

Just do what I do: Order from Kevin Easton at www.eastonguitars.com

Tell him Zerb from the JCF sent ya

Then you get a GREAT USA price, plus a bit of shipping, plus customs. In Germany with the total of 20% extra I have to pay for Customs I still end up about 20% off USA list (which btw is about 20% less than most european MSRPs), which is an unbelievable deal considering how inflated Gear prices are over here (BTW, Iīve never bought a single axe new here in Europe, too expensive )
          Last edited by Zerberus; 09-12-2004, 03:40 PM.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

Good info, Zerb. Do you know if the San Dimas location will show their facility to the general public? It's about 35 minutes from where I live, and it would be a cool shop to visit. I've always been fascinated by some of these successful boutique companies that become name brands by reputation. G&L, Anderson, Charvel/Jackson, and Schecter, in particular. All of them are fairly close, so I should use any days off to try and visit them.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

One thing many Charvel enthusiasts donīt know: The San Dimas address always has been (and probably always will be) a P.O.Box number. There was never, ever a physical plant in SD.

The Original Plant (Originally Charvelīs Guitar Repair) was in Azusa, CA, in 1986 they moved to Ontario. Thatīs where they were until late 2k2, when they moved to Corona, California

Comment

Kinda a side bar: I been saving up for one of the Imports. Seemed pretty cool loaded with duncans and all, and to top it off, AMS offered them a a smooth closeout price. But, as my luck would have it, they are gone and Ive about got all the $$. There is a local shop in my town that has a few of them in. One has Duncan Live wires in it, but a standard trem. The want $1800 for them. (I kid you not!!!)
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Charvel becoming a guitar company for the elite?

I'm elite, arent u?
                  lol

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose
                    Kinda a side bar: I been saving up for one of the Imports. Seemed pretty cool loaded with duncans and all, and to top it off, AMS offered them a a smooth closeout price. But, as my luck would have it, they are gone and Ive about got all the $$. There is a local shop in my town that has a few of them in. One has Duncan Live wires in it, but a standard trem. The want $1800 for them. (I kid you not!!!)
                    WHAT?????

They must be on crack, man. And pretty good crack at that. The newer charvel imports LISTED at under 800 bucks

Try www.eastonguitars.com or www.vwallguitars.com , they may still have a few

Comment

charvel makes awesome guitars.

and since they started the usa line, i likeem even better!!

they'ree by far my favorite company

btw, greetings from my 4th period computer class at school

Comment

Nice post Zerb. That was informative
                        Originally posted by Scott_F
                        On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

Those original San Dimas (Azusa?) guitars had great necks that were a nice rounded C.
                          When they started cranking out those Charvel/Jackson imports in the late 80's is when they started using the flatter/thinner necks. Ewww! What a mistake. At least Jackson USA held their ground with the better necks.
                          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus
                            One thing many Charvel enthusiasts donīt know: The San Dimas address always has been (and probably always will be) a P.O.Box number. There was never, ever a physical plant in SD.

The Original Plant (Originally Charvelīs Guitar Repair) was in Azusa, CA, in 1986 they moved to Ontario. Thatīs where they were until late 2k2, when they moved to Corona, California
                            MMMM...MY PARENTS LIVE IN CORONA, CA ...I SHOULD SEE IF THEY HAVE FACTORY TOURS ....ITS ALL YOU DOG GONNE JACKSON PLAYERS MAKING ME GAS FOR EM..... SORRY DIDNT MEAN TO HIGHJACK THIS THREAD.
                            "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

And Thanks Again Zerb For Your Expert Information ....you Are Easily One Of My Top 5 Guys On This Forum....anyways...off Topic Again
                              "Get a BIBLE: open it, read it, and believe it" - Me

Comment

Working...
                              X